Chickenfoot Review

Chickenfoot: Chickenfoot
Released: Jun 9, 2009
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: earMUSIC
Supergroup consisting of Joe Satriani, Red Hot Chili Peppers Chad Smith, Van Halens Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar blues it up like a neo-Led Zeppelin.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.4
 8.5
 8.3
Chickenfoot Featured review by: UG Team, on june 12, 2009

Sound: Check any of your pre-conceived notions about Chickenfoot, which are undoubtedly based on the individual members' previous and current associations as a guitar god and members of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Van Halen, respectively, at the door. While Chickenfoot is an amalgam of the members' hallmark styles (guitar god, funkdafied rhythms and raspy, semi-smoky, room-filling vocals, to be specific), the album actually stands on its own two, well, (chicken) feet! It's a bluesy, funky, hyper-charged, energetic album that makes the most of its members' strengths. No, it's not shocking that the album is funked out and blues-infused, but it's got its own identity. That's the surprising part! One might think that the members might drift too far from their comfort zones, but they color within the lines, so to speak. Sammy sounds like he did in For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge-era Van Halen, while Satriani rips licks and leads on anthems like Soap on a Rope, Oh Yeah, Get it Up and Sexy Little Thing, which will induce truckers, strippers and fans of good time rawk n roll to raise a bottle of Bud Light in the air and then toss it back with reckless abandon! All the elements of the players' styles co-mingle into a cohesive, seamless blend that is never overshadowed by the members' pedigrees. The result is a more polished, modern, blue-collar, Middle America version of Led Zeppelin in that it's classic, it rocks and it undoubtedly owes influences to the blues. It's probably the most modern yet mainstream adaptation of the blues offered up by white musicians in quite some time. // 9

Lyrics: Let's face it. Sammy Hagar isn't pondering philosophical issues in his lyrics, in his eponymous project, during his years in Van Halen or in Chickenfoot. Rather, he's adept at using turns of phrase that invite the masses and the mainstream to sing along. Perfect example of this? How I wanna bee your hoochie coochie man? You got me eating out of your hand. It's fun, it's frivolous and its simple enough to sorta relate to! Hager's raspy, fingerprint-rare vocals are the perfect complement to Satriani's riffage, which functions as the album's anchor, and to Anthony's and Smith's ultra-solid rhythm section. Chickenfoot are a jigsaw puzzle where all the pieces fit and none are loss. There's no holes and Hagar is the unifying factor. There's even a sweet, mid-tempo, twanged-out rocker dubbed My Kinda Girl that will draw the ladies in. Ladies who like to party with the boys and who have lower back tattoos, that is! // 8

Overall Impression: While it may seem a bit of an overzealous accolade to mention Chickenfoot, who are on their debut album, in the same breath as Zeppelin, but there's a reason for such an assertion. All of the members of Chickenfoot have cut their teeth in some of the most successful rock bands of the last three decades and have cultivated their own sphere of influence. It's super refreshing that they were able to forge their own unique sound without giving up their sonic identities and being forced to veer too far from what each is known for. // 9

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

Chickenfoot Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2009

Sound: Where to start. This band has a sound that I havn't heard a lot of in recent music. It would have to be classed as classic rock but on this album there really is something for everyone. This album really all started with Sammy Hagar in the Cabo Wabo Cantina, in his annual birthday bash at which Chad Smith (RHCP Drummer) jumped up on the drums and so this legendary band was formed. Looking over the record its hard to find any real innovations in music, what they seem to have done is go right back to basics, writing about real things, with real recording, to create an epic record. The reunion of Hagar and Anthony really brings back that old Van Halen vocal sounds which is sounding better than ever before with the incredible range of sounds 'Smokin' Joe Satriani can pull. Satriani has really pushed himself in this record I think, playing effectively a backing role, contrary to recent years, supporting the band and the songs as a whole whilst still showing that he is one of the most talented guitarists around today. As an example Learning to fall has one note, which I think you will agree when you hear it, is like hearing the whole meaning of the song thrown into one note. Don't worry, you'll know it when you hear it! Soap on a rope is another track with truly exceptional guitar. It starts off with the rhythm which is held throughout the song, has the perfect fill in every little break, plays chords through the chorus, but even manages to make that sound impressive, and finishes with one of the most incredible solos I have ever heard him play. Chad Smith and Michael Anthony really seem to have gelled well in this band to provide a truly exceptional rhythm section. I'm not a bassist and I'm not a drummer but its indisputable that these are 2 extremely skilled musicians. Both play their roles exactly as I feel they should, but in the same way as Satch they still manage to get their own little moments and really show how fantastic they are. The 2 of them really do complete the band and make the whole thing feel like its been together for years rather than the few months that is the truth. This record sounds like 4 guys having a great time, doing what they love to do, and has some of the greatest tracks I've heard out of any of the artists in this group. A truly exceptional record with huge variations between songs but still a sound that just doesn't seem to get old! // 10

Lyrics: Sammy Hagar I really think is a lyrical genius. They aren't complicated, they just do the job and make for a great track. In interviews Hagar has talked about how he has written each song about something specific, and I think it shows in the solid and definite sound to the vocals in every track The lyrics on tracks like Avendia Revolucion show a darker side to the largely feel-good singer whereas Learning To Fall shows another side again. My Kinda Girl to me sounds like a song written for exactly what the song is about. Everything fits with this record. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is just stunning. I can't recommend it highly enough to fans of each member previously but also to anyone who is just out to kick back and enjoy a great rock record. Learning to Fall is a fantastic laid back love song, whilst Turning Left (described by Hagar as the song you are most likely to get a speeding ticket to) pounds away with the feeling that they mean every word and note. Future in the Past is probably my favourite track on the record, starting with a great little relaxed intro, breaking into a funky main section of the song, and finishing with Hagar's only guitar contribution to the record, providing the backing for yet another epic Satriani Solo. I can't fault a single thing on this record, and I'm just sat here hoping there will be more albums to come. Long live the Foot! // 10

Chickenfoot Reviewed by: HardAttack, on june 12, 2009

Sound: The infamous Chickenfoot finally puts out their CD. By now all of the hype has probably hit you in the face so many times you're getting bruised from it. Well I'm here now to let you know that some of those hits in the face are ones that this band earned. I was constantly reminded that this band of old men are putting out an album soon at Best Buy via advertizements all over the place, and one night I saw them on the Tonight Show and finally broke and said "Who the hell are these guys?" Well it turns out those guys are the fairly impressive lineup of Sammy Hagar (ex-Van Halen vocalist), Joe Satriani (world renowned guitar guru), Mike Anthony (ex-Van Halen bassist) and Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer). The lineup sounds impressive, especially if youre a Satriani diehard or a Van Halen fan and I feel that they hold up fairly well against the expectations out of them. Hagar himself described the new band as something that takes a lot of pages out of Zeppelin's book. He certainly didn't lie. The band is best described (in my oppinion) as a mash-up of Led Zeppelin, Twisted Sister, AC/DC, Montrose (Hagar's old band) and Van Halen. The music is definitely guitar driven with good vocals on top(especially considering Hagar is 61 years old). If only Robert Plant sounded that good, and Plant is a year younger than Hagar. Joe Satriani is a guy who can "out-Van Halen" Van Halen, and shines in every aspect of his trade. He writes some catchy riffs, does some really great solos and seemed to nail everything production wise. The album sounds a bit gritty, but it is in a classic rock style so its forgiveable. A bit nostalgiac, even. The bass and drums however as I hear them aren't really anything to write home about. They sound like Zeppelin or any random 70's or 80's band you can think of. They get the job done. Reguardless of generic drumming and zombie bass playing, the music is definitely catchy. The songs themselfs are a little long for radio in some cases (a lot around 6 or 7 minutes) and give you the feeling that Chickenfoot is really just a jam band with lyrics written over the sessions they had.'m here now to let you know that some of those hits in the face are ones that this band earned. I was constantly reminded that this band of old men are putting out an album soon at Best Buy via advertizements all over the place, and one night I saw them on the Tonight Show and finally broke and said "Who the hell are these guys?" // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are that of... again... a traditional 1980's band. As much as I hate to say it, they're bland. The lyrics are probably the bands weak point. Hagar does a great job singing and that is pretty much the only reason they don't sound totally dumb when listening to them. But if you listen really close or read the lyrics, it makes me wonder how much time they really spent on them. And that kind of ties into my whole "Jam Band" theory of them basically playing some music in the studio, seeing what felt good then writing lyrics on top. I'm sure it didn't really go down like that, but that's the feel you get from it. The lyrics aren't incompetant, but they're uninspiring. I'm hoping their next album will fix that. I'm always in the mood for a good concept album, or some lyrics about the behavior of the author. (Keep doing what you're doing Tool & Mastodon.) // 6

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, different favorite rock bands of the 70's and 80's and a tiny bit of 90's can be heard throughout the album. But, it's not really a copycat band because they blend it nicely. The only lackluster song I really found was their single 'Oh Yeah'. Nothing says "I want to be like Quiet Riot/Twisted Sister/ACDC" like repetetive lyrics about absolutely nothing. And don't get me wrong, I like those bands in their own way, but they're called Classic Rock because it's something that's been left in the past. I find that a lot of todays bands have evolved the lyrics to be more than just sentences that rhyme. The lyrics "Don't forget to bring your rockin' shoes" or maybe even "Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah" hang in my head just like "I wanna rock, ROCK. I wanna rock, ROCK. I want-to-rock, ROCK." Let's move on, shall we? Other songs like 'Down The Drain' aren't too bad and are a little bit smarter. But lyrical issues asside, I actually love the songs 'Soap on a Rope' and 'Down The Drain'. I'm the kind of person where guitar alone can do it for me (one of the main reasons I'm registered to this website). The vocals help a lot too because it seems like an extension of older bands that I had wished made more material. I love the gritty production, most of the guitar and vocal work itself, but I'm just not a huge fan of the lyrics. I think with some more time spent on the next album (yes I am hoping for a new one) they can fix that issue. If this album were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy another one considering it only cost $12 from BestBuy. Well worth the price in my oppinion. So if you guys are into some really good composition with a classic feel, inspired guitar solos with some vintage vocals; Chickenfoot is for you. // 8

Chickenfoot Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on april 07, 2014

Sound: Chickenfoot are a 21st century rock supergroup, consisting of Sammy Hagar (Montrose/Van Halen/his self-titled solo career) on vocals, Michael Anthony (Van Halen) on bass guitar, Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) on drums and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani, who I shouldn't really have to say anything about, because he is Joe Satriani and that is that, playing lead guitar. If anyone is still reading this review, chances are you think that sounds awesome. Well, I have to say it's not as good as I had hoped, being a fan of every member of Chickenfoot and all of their respective bands, but it is what it is and feels like it could easily have been recorded in the 1980s. // 8

Lyrics: Important things: First off, Sammy Hagar oddly doesn't seem to have lost any of his vocal strength in what I'm thinking has been forty years, so, if the main reason you were interested in this band was him, you aren't going to be disappointed in the slightest. The lyrics, however, are nowhere near as spectacular as the voice that sings them. This is alright though, because let's face it, no band fronted by The Red Rocker is ever going to try solving all of life's mysteries. Satriani plays some fun riffs, but there is nothing to indicate that no one else could be playing the exact same thing. Mike Anthony and Chad Smith get a big "ditto" on their playing. // 7

Overall Impression: Sadly, it seems, to me at least, that Sammy Hagar just wanted to get a lot more attention, so he got a bunch of really talented big name musicians to be his new backing group. Well it worked, this was probably the most overhyped, underwhelming album I've ever heard, but at the same time it's fun. You can't deny that you miss the pre-grunge days (if you were alive then - I wasn't) or at the very least, this album is catchy, in a good way, but it all boils down to a simple question: when David Lee Roth left VH, he got Steve Vai and other popular musicians to be his backing band - and what was the name of the artist who did "Eat Em and Smile"? David Lee Roth. With that in mind, I state that Chickenfoot's self-titled debut album does not sound different enough from Sammy Hagar's solo career to be called anything other than a solo Hagar release, but it's still worth five bucks, just based on the fact that it's decent: neither bloody amazing, nor vomit-inducingly bad. It is what it is. // 8

More Chickenfoot reviews rating latest review
+ Chickenfoot III 7.5 10/04/2011