Are You Dead Yet? Review

artist: children of bodom date: 10/13/2008 category: compact discs
children of bodom: Are You Dead Yet?
Released: Sep 14, 2005
Label: Universal
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal
It'll be even more straight-forward than its predecessor and will contain some industrial elements while still retaining COB's trademark sound, including the super-fast guitar and keyboard solos.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom returns, and again, angrier and more agressive than ever! There has been a huge evolution from Hate Crew Deathroll, the sound, the style, the music, everything is all new. On some parts it's all different tha before, yet still that "Something Wild" that makes C0B COB is there. Let's get down to business. First of all, this record is the heaviest album that COB has released up to date. The main weight seems to be on Heavy, but melodic & catchy riffs and songs, and if that's what Alexi has tried, then he scored 10! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were not released with the booklet, and you can only hear clearly what Alexi is saying in some parts, but during those parts it sounds great! Alexi's allways been one of my favourite singers/growlers, and once again he has writen some excelent death metal lyrics. They fit the music perfectly, and some parts, like the prechours in "Living Dead Beat" will ring in your head for days! // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion it's allways been very hard to compare the Children Of Bodom albums with each other, but now I think that this one just might be the best album they have ever made, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this album, the songs are brilliant and so is the overall sound. All of the songs are good and extremely impressive, but If I were to recommend some tracks, I would say the opening track "Living Dead Beat," which is propably the catchiest song ever, the title track "Are You Dead Yet?" which includes some of the coolest riffs ever made, And the slow trackof the album, "Punch Me I Bleed" which kind of reminded me of the Hate Crew Deathroll masterpiece Angel's Don't Kill. But really, buy the whole album, even each individual song is worth that $20. If it was to get lost or stolen I would sell my grandmother on ebay without a second thought. It's propably the best album that I own. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2005

Sound: This is the greatest COB album ever made. They return with the sequel to Hate Crew Deathroll. The guitar sound sounds kinda mucky but not enough to make me hate the album. Like the introl to "In Yoyur Face" sounds a lot like industrial guitar sounding. But the guitar riffs and solos in "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War" are completley outstandidng and in your face. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics didnt come wiht the booklet and you can barley understand Alexi but at some parts the lyrics stick out and give you a hidden message with just a few words. I think tis great Kimberley Goss wrote the song "Bastards of Bodom" which is one of my favorites. So is "We're Not Gonna Fall" is my favortie track and I love the lyrics for every song. // 10

Overall Impression: It really doesn't compare to other albums its the greatest they made ever, so far. I hope COB doesn't change their style or impression. I love the excellent guitar riffs and solos. I dont really hate anything about the album, its the greatest so far. The Sequel to HCD is by far the ebst album COB has ever made. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: We_Wont_Die, on february 04, 2006

Sound: Children Of Bodom are my favourite band at the moment, along with Dimmu Borgir. But I found it surprising that this album sounds very thrashy. When I found out the reason, I laughed, and thought it was fair enough. Alexi Laiho was drunk and started dancing on an ice-covered car, fell off and broke his wrist. He decided that he should just focus on not too complex stuff. There is definately a large thrash influence, along with the subject of war, but there are still obvious traces of melodic death. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in Punch Me I Bleed, In Your Face and Bastards Of Bodom seemed very basic to me, but the rest is great, and the screaming really brings out the meaning, especially in If You Want Peace, Prepare For War. The lyrics mixed with the guitar work, the drum work and the bass work is awesome, and it just sounds like rain on the roof, or wind in the trees; Perfectly natural. I'd have to say, it took me a while to listen to Laiho's voice, but this album proved to me that he is awesome, and definately worth the buy. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd is very different to their older albums, but still the Thrash isn't totally Thrash either (Slayer etc). It still has the old traces of the original COB, and that's what I love about it. I'd have to say that the most impressive songs are Are You Dead Yet? and If You Want Peace, Prepare For War. If this was stolen or lost, or I had to give it back to me friend, I will definately buy it. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: Jamo888, on april 19, 2006

Sound: Upon first listen, the new Children Of Bodom release sounds like every other album the boys have put out. Alexi Laiho screams as though he is being stabbed, the keyboards dominate, the rhythm section provides ample backup. However, on further inspection, the sound is quite different than other Children Of Bodom albums. The album is incredibly dark and less melodic than any other disc, which makes the previously released "Trashed, Lost And Strungout" seem out of place. There are definitely more industrial influences. Rather than rely on leads and solos, the songs are powered by low-end riffs and catchy choruses. It is quite odd, as this pushes the memorability factor down as the catchiness goes up. The melodic guitar is gone, almost completely. Alexi Laiho seems content on becoming a backup player for the man helming the keyboards, Janne Warman. Rather than be a showcase for the undeniable talents of all members, they seem content with writing a pedestrian collection of songs. The music relies on rhythm more than ever. The energy is all but sapped from the music. Instead of seem exciting about their new direction, they sound tired and bored. Perhaps the relentless touring (to everywhere but Edmonton, dammit) has finally taken it's toll. "Punch Me I Bleed" is a pale attempt to rewrite "Angels Don't Kill." The worst example of the all-style, no-substance approach is the title track, which sounds like an outtake from the new Static-X album (shudder, shudder). Lead single "In Your Face" switches from mid-tempo riffs to incredibly fast tempos, and none of it works at all. Most of the songs on this album sound forced rather than forceful. The album isn't all bad, though. "Living Dead Beat" is proof that the style of albums like "Hatebreeder" can mix quite well with their newfound industrial influence. With a keyboard intro that sounds like, as one of my friends so accurately described it, "walking in a dark alley with ninjas attacking you," it will inspire more than it's fair share of headbanging. "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War" has that energy and guitar-keyboard duelling the Bodom boys became underground stars for, coupled with a hook so stupid it works. They rip through one of their best riffs with "Next In Line." However, "Bastards Of Bodom" and "We're Not Gonna Fall" are two relatively average songs, since the former is bereft of hooks and sounds like a cheap rip-off of their own "Needled 24/7," and the latter, while having a supreme hook, lacks energy. On the whole, this reviewer was not impressed, especially after the first four explosive albums of grade-A heavy metal. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are much of the same, incredibly cheesy rants about kicking someone's ass after they piss Alexi off. It's not good, but in this style of music, who the hell cares? Mr. Laiho opts for catchy choruses, which all sound awkward. The attempts at gang vocals are limp and sad when compared to past offerings. // 4

Overall Impression: The bottom line is, it's not "Follow The Reaper," but then again it's not trying to be. This is a transitional album, one in which they are learning to use their love of industrial music and sing-along choruses to their advantage. This album is meant to sound heavy, but it's a sheep in wolves clothing. Until they gain more confidence in their anthem-writing abilities, they will wander in a purgatory of merely average heavy metal bands. Despite all the catchy choruses, rarely does a song on this album become truly memorable. "Living Dead Beat," "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War," and "Next In Line" are the few times when they aren't afraid to let loose. All in all, buy the album and decide for yourselves. It may grow on your better than it did on this reviewer. // 5

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2005

Sound: The band's sound continues to evolve, yet it retains that magic that makes Children Of Bodom so much more than just metal. Industrial elements (I'm thinking of Living Dead Beat) add a bit of flavour, but fans will not be dissappointed. The songs seem a little less structured as compared to Hate Crew Deathroll; there a re many more fills but fewer long solos; whether thats bad is really open to preference. One standout is Jaska's drumming, which is better than it has ever been. I didn't think that Roope could replace Alexander's rhythm guitar, and though it sounds good, it isnt quite the same you may or may not even notice a difference. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics have always been secondary to the music for me personally, but I also feel like Alexei's lyrics get better with each new album, and this is certainly the case here. His voice is much stronger, clearer, and more powerful, and this adds a whole new dimension to the music. Lyrics are typically dark, and creative, though the language barrier still is definetly a factor. // 9

Overall Impression: I was so excited for the arrival of this album, and was so angry when its Canadian release was delayed twice. But when I got it, it was well worth the wait. Living Dead Beat and Next In Line will certainly become COB classics, and as a whole, this album is extremely strong. Is it as good as Hate Crew Death Roll? I miss the long solos (think of the solo in You're Better Off Dead) but they are still there in some form, and the keys and drums make up for the slight lack of face-melting guitar work by Alexei. The msuci itself is fantastic, the lyrics are better than ever, and the band seems to be moving in a great direction. If it were lost or stolen, I would definetly buy it again, and then maybe a 3rd copy so I could listen on two cd players at the same time. It's that good. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: Raze_666, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Firstly I had heard from many people that this album would be terrible as it would be industrial. What a load of crap with new rhythm guitarist Roope Katvala they are just as good. This is slightly different but still calssic Bodom. Every song on this album is a potential single and they are still the same bodom as before. Their techniques are still the same and as always the keyboard dominates the sound when it comes in. The instruments are really fell balanced throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Well as with all Bodom albums actually knowing what he sings can be a problem. As the vocals are pretty death metal. It sounds good though and if the lyrical themes are similair to other albums then it will be good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is equally as good as all their others and bodom are one of the best bands around with Alexei being a guitar god. The best songs on the album are the title track, trashed lost & strungout and living dead beat. There is one thing they have ruined though, thatis the album art is completely different to the other albums not sticking with the theme but at leats it still has the reaper. Unlike other albums it doesn't tell us the lyrics in the booklet. If it were stolen I'd get another copy no matter what! // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2005

Sound: This CD kinda let me down. Not enough for me to stop being the die-hard COBHC fan that I am, but I was somewhat dissapointed. Children Of Bodom's sound has always been based on a perfect mixture of death metal, power metal, black metal and thrash metal with symphonic attributes. But it seems to me that on some songs, the band focuses on too much of one of the styles. For instance "Punch Me I Bleed" seems to be more twords Death metal. It has a slower main riff and lots of pieces of the song that have just Alexi singing with only a drum beat playing behind him. Also on "Bastards Of Bodom" Their has an awquard pause after intro. (this might just be a flaw with my cd, a scratch or something) but the pause is very noticable. The solos are still good though, good and heavy, I could of asked for more keyboard solos though. And of course what everyone is wondering about: "Somebody put something in my drink." All I can say is awesome! The Ramones should be proud, they put a great metal spin on a kick ass punk song! I love it. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics are decent but I must agree with others, the lyrics are kinda nu-metal style. I have never been a nu-metal fan, but "hey" most of the time I can't understand Alexi anyway. Although the more I listen the the more I pick up. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I was dissapointed. They built up this album to be so great and godlly over all the other albums I just had to get it! I mean something that could beat "Hatebreeder" or "Follow The Reaper"? It had to be awesome! I shouldn't of got my hopes up. It is still alright though, just not classic Bodom. Should you buy this album? Yes. But only if you have the other albums such as "Hatebreeder" and "Something Wild." These albums are normally harder to find, Most stores only carry "Hatecrew Death Roll," "Trashed, Lost And Strugout" and "Follow The Reaper" (my personal favorite album). If you can't find the other albums, Newbury Comics always has every album. // 6

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 18, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom are forever pushing their sound to greater heights. On this groundbreaking fifth release of the finnish-five, they take a slightly more industrial approach, most noticable by the synth intro. You may also notice how brutal some of the songs have become. For example: the first time I heard If You Want Peace, Prepare for War, I was just outright like, "this shit's heavy dude!" As you get into the solo's, which most people like my self especially look forward to, you can expect the utmost virtuacity from the man himself, Alexi Laiho. One of the coolest solo's of the album would be the "war" between Alexi, Roope (rhythm/lead guitar), and Janne (keyboards). Take my word for it, it's freakin' incredible! // 10

Lyrics: On this album, you can hear somewhat more of Alexi trying to sort of sing in some parts. Basically his usual growl with a little more melody. After all, his voice kind of changes with each new release. As far as lyrics go, you of course have your typical death/reaper/lake bodom murder type lyrics. Then you get the party hard get wasted type lyrics. The point is, it's al good stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's safe to say that these guys will keep forging on, making great music for years to come, and you can sure as hell bet yourself that I'll be there. This album is a symbol of that, and although it not be the best, it's still better than most that shit out there today. I's Say the only reason it gets a 9 is because it didn't move me as much as Something Wild or Hatecrew Deathroll. But like I said, it's better than most of that shit out there today, and since they are my favorite band, I can say nothing bad about them. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: autumnskyguitar, on may 12, 2006

Sound: Children Of Bodom is a very unique band because of the combination of instruments they use. They have a blend of heavy, drop-tuned, guitars and keyboards, along with heavy bass and up-tempo drumming. Every album shows progress and slight changes in their style. In my opinion, this is their best album. Alexi Laiho (lead guitar, lead vocals) is such a great musician and writes some amazing songs for this album. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi has really improved as a singer on this album. On their album "Follow The Reaper" he pretty much screamed out all the tracks. While he doesn't abandon that scream on the new album, his vocals sound better. If you do not like hardcore screaming in your music, then "Are You Dead Yet" isn't for you. The lyrics fall right into place with the guitar rhythm behind it. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably the best hardcore album in stores right now. If you like harcore metal or thrash metal, this is a great album to buy. My favorite songs on the album are: "Are You Dead Yet", "In Your Face", and "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War". Another underated song on the album is "Living Dead Beat". The only song I don't like that much is "Punch Me I Bleed". The other thing I don't like about the album is there is only 10 songs on it. I think they could have had a few more, considered it was released three years after their previous album. If I lost/or had this album stolen, I'd definetly buy another copy. It is just a great mixture of songs. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: Suicidal_Brick, on may 13, 2006

Sound: Children of Bodom is in no way new to the heavy metal scene. With their first label release "Something Wild" in 1997, these guys have been around for a pretty long time. As the official COB website writes; "Children Of Bodom that darted to international fame with their debut, 1997's "Something Wild", has gone from being "this amazing band from Finland" to a household name in the metalscene. And that, of course, is obvious given the intensity, sheer quality of their material and the flawless execution." Alexi Laiho (guitars and vocals), Jaska Raatikainen (drums), Henkka Seppl (bass), Roope Latvala (guitars) and Janne Wirman (keyboards) form this metal/thrash/black/grind/synth band and whatever else you can call it. In the new album, Are You Dead Yeat? there is much more of a trash approach as apposed to the keyboard/guitar synchronized melodies played by Janne and Alexi in all previous albums. Rumour has is Alexi was drunk and dancing on a frozen car in Finland and fell and broke his wrist. Deciding to take it easy, the rythm behind each song has doubled. Although in previous albums such as Hate Crew Deathroll and Hatebreeder the guitars are a lot more melodic and has a bit more edge to it, the new album has that heavier sound that most metalheads will love. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are barely understandable. There are no lyrics printed with the booklett so they are up to interpritation of the listener. Although some hooks and choruses are clear and send a clear message, the rest is uncomprehendable. The voice of lead guitarist Alexi Laiho has improved tenfold. When starting his voice was raspy and had almost forced growls, but are now a lot clearer. The song "Bastards of Bodom" was written by Alexi's side-project band Sinergy and has the edge of all former albums with lyrics such as "I was born to end life, I can take any form A shapeshifting demon, killing for sport" // 6

Overall Impression: Comparing this album to previous albums, there is no comparison that this is the heaviest yet. Although the guitars are lost, the vocals have improved tenfold. New song styles show through in songs such as "In Your Face" and "Bastards of Bodom" but the older sound is also heard in opening song "Living Dead Beat" and shred masterpiece "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War!". // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: \m/COB\m/, on july 18, 2006

Sound: Children Of Bodom jumps back on to the scene with new rythym guitarist Roope Latvala and shredds it up in "Are You Dead Yet?" As most COB fans know each COB album has its own unique sound and "Are You Dead Yet?" doesn't dissapoint. They mantain the same heavy sound with the blazing fast solos by Alexi Laiho. One notable thing about this album is that in stead of having more solos Children of Bodom's Keyboardist Janne Warmen does more music that blends in with the guitar like on track number 5. "In Your Face." I'm not saying there are no keyboard solos though. There are a few but they do not occur as frequently in this album as they did in say "Follow The Reaper." Overall the kept the distintive COB metal sound as most of their other albums. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi Laiho singing in this album is slightly different from the other albums and on several of the songs his voice sounds a little more hardcore than the deep metal voice most COB fans are used to. The lyrics are good but do get pretty explicit and you might want to check whos around you if your playing a track like "In Your Face" through a stereo. Like most of their albums the singing fits in well with the music and pauses briefly for amazing solos from Alexi. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of the best Children of Bodom albums to date. The best tracks on this album are "Living Dead Beat (also known as Living Dead In Europe), "Are You Dead Yet?", "In Your Face," "Next In Line," "Were Not Gonna Fall" and 10. "Somebody Put Something In My Drink". One of the best things about this album are the crazy solos. If you get this album definetly pay attention to the arpeggios at the begging of the "Were Not Gonna Fall" solo. This is an excellent album and if I lost it I would definetly buy it again. It is a must have for any Children Of Bodom fan or metal lover. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: honorthydead, on october 28, 2006

Sound: Children of Bodom, the most popular metal band to ever come out of Finland has managed to make yet another great power/melodic metal album. The fast, intricate riffs that Alexi and Roope play so well are all over this album. The guitar work is incredibely tight and precise, the same can be said for Jaska and the drums. Janne and the keyboards adds a nice atmospheric touch to the album, and some nice solos as well. And last but not least, Hennka and the bass: he is smart enough to kno when to follow Alexi and Roope and when to play a walking bass line. Songs like "In Your Face" and "Are You Dead Yet?" display COB's ability to write and execute great music. The instrumentals for "In Your Face" were recorded in one take, and they are great. COB has kept their signature aggressive sound, and added more atmosphere to their newest album Are You Dead Yet? // 8

Lyrics: Alexi Laiho is undeniably one the best vocalists in metal today. He has managed to avoid the "cookie monster" sound, and blend singing and screaming into a style all his own. It should come as no surprise that the album is full of reaper-esque references and profane lyrics; but that is what COB fans have grown to expect and it's what COB delivers with great success. // 9

Overall Impression: I'll make this short: Are You Dead Yet? is a great metal album, and possibly COB's best album to date. They are constantly evolving into a bigger and better band. I highly reccomend this CD to any metal or COB fan. The lyrics are great, and so is Alexi's voice. The solos are fast and interesting and the drums and bass are tight and powerful. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 16, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is just absolutely astounding. Alexi Laiho is one skilled lead guitarits I'll tell you that much right now, his solos in the songs he does are just insane and he can shred like a motherf--ker. Roope is a really good rhythm guitar player and during the solos and the riffs he backs up the lead guitar really, really well. Henkka is an amazing bassist and he can do some really sick shit with that instrument. Jaska is an amazing drummer and he plays with them with such an attitude and you can tell that when he is drumming it's not like a 10 minute idea, he probably thinks about it until he gets it right and heavy as f--k. Janne is an amazing keyboardist and every song has amazing keyboards in it and most of the songs this guy did have such amazing keyboard solos that is unbelieveable! So the sound basically kicked major ass! // 10

Lyrics: Alexi Laiho has improved a lot in singing, he has gotten darker and more brutal on this album. On this album you can understand what Laiho is saying in some songs and that is what I really like about this album because they scream and sing about the same amount I think. Alexi is an amazing vocalist but not the best vocalist out there, he is 2nd or 3rd in my death metal category opinion (first being Randy Blythe from Lamb of God). Anyways the lyrics on this album are mostly about what a death metal band would write about (pain, death, suffering etc). So yes they improved a lot in the lyric range. // 10

Overall Impression: Children Of Bodom are one of my favourite bands along with Pantera, Metallica and a shitload of other insane metal bands out there in the world. I don't have any favourite songs on this album because all of them kicked complete ass. I love everything about this album, the guitar, the guitar solos, the keyboard and the solos Janne does on that thing, the bass is brutal and drums are just amazing. I absolutely hate nothing about this album and I love everything about it. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because it kicks complete ass. So get this album anyone if your a true metalhead get it, you will be blown away. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: gagadude, on october 13, 2008

Sound: This is one of the greatest death metal albums ever written. Truly a classic. As always the tracks are brutal assault on your ears. However, you may want to boost your trebles or else you'll end up with a thick distorted mess. The title track "Are You Dead Yet?" is a monumental song. The story behind this powerful title is "When life is crappy, you can get depressed, or tell yourself, I'm not dead yet". // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very aggressive, they get the adrenaline pumping. Most of the lyrics are about empowerment such as "In Your Face" which says "It's my world, you're in it, it'll take you down in a minute!". The lyrics match the music in brutality and complexity. Children of Bodom really outdid themselves with this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is much better than anything I've heard by Arch Enemy or In Flames. Children of Bodom totally smashed anything any deathmetal band has written to bits with this album. The absolute cream of the crop are the songs "In Your Face", "Are You Dead Yet?" and "Punch Me I Bleed". They are strong songs that convey the "meaning of Children of Bodom" very powerfully. That is not to say that all the other songs aren't good, almost all of them are amazing, the only song I would have taken off is "Somebody Put Something In My Drink". It is a mess of a bonus track, I personally think it was a gimmick for album sales. If I lost the album I would buy a CoB DVD/Box set. This album really turned me on to this monstrous band. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 20, 2005

Sound: I love the sound of this album and thats what put it above the other CoB albums to me. It's much darker sounding, and the vocals are completely different other than the fact that Alexi still growls. The guitars use much simpler riffs, although the solos are alot faster (I'm guessing this is due to the addition of Roope Latvala to their line-up). Jaska Raatikainen used more industrial beats, and the bass guitar is much more defined in Are You Dead Yet. This combination of new styles makes it a totally kick ass album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for the album match Children Of Bodom's new style very well, although they are very hard to hear they have unique melodies this time which is a huge improvement of their other albums. Of course I can barely understand much of the lyrics, it's more about the affect, and when the lyrics are important to the song, they can be understood. Great job Alexi. // 10

Overall Impression: Really good job it's by far my favorite album ever. It can really be classified more as black metal, rather than melodic death metal which is what the band is originally known as. The sound is darker and some of the slower songs like Punch Me I Bleed remind me of bands like Dimmu Borgir, etc. has a lot of nu-metal influence in it even tho it is obviously not nu-metal. Overall it kicks your ass. Go buy it! // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: First off, I would like to say that this album kicks unholy ass! From the first note to the last, COB unleash unrivaled fury from their intruments, and themselves. The opening track "Living Dead Beat" has an awesome synth/guitar/drum buildup to a growl by Alexi. The title track has one of the most amazing openings, crazy double bass by raska, and a bloocurdling howl by the Wildchild. Intrumentally, this album is as amazing as all the others, if not better. Alexander and Alexi hold it down on the guitars, while Raska pounds on the drums. The keyboardist (sorry, don't know his name), has improved greatly and are better used in sync with the guitars. And of course, the bass lays down some awesome lines, such as in "Bastards Of Bodom," which, by the way, sounded like "Hate Me" to me, for all you COB fans out there. as far as sound goes, this album will kick your ass and leave you wanting more. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are typical COB lyrics, dealing with death and the lake bodom murders. There's also a cover of The Ramones' song "Somebody Put Something In My Drink". Not my favorite, but it's catchy. Some of the words are a little cheesy, but Alexi has a way of delivering them through his growling, howling, screaming, and singing that makes it sound amazing. He has progressed greatly from their earlier stuff, such as Hatebreeder and Something Wild, but still retains that same, intense vocal abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: Un-friggin-belivable, thats the only way to describe it. Heavy, fast, melodic, chaotic, straight up "metal up your ass," that's how you describe COB. If you're a fan of them, buy this, don't live another moment without it. If your looking to get into them, get this. It's the most polished and refined effort by the finnish metallers yet, and by far the best. Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper, and Hatecrew Deathroll all pale in comparison to this album, and if you know those albums, you know that means something. // 10

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 16, 2006

Sound: While I love how the album sounds, I feel almost the same way as I felt when Metallica released Load - like something amazing had been dumbed down so that all the "metal heads" who skip school and listen to KoRn, Trapt, and Limp Bizkit on their iPods would buy their CD. While this album is still miles above any nu-metal out there, it still wreaks of some mainstream/nu-metal stank that hadn't been present on any prior album. // 8

Lyrics: Children Of Bodom have never been a band with amazing lyrics, instead Alexi usually chooses to be memorable in their delivery as opposed to their meaning. This album is no different. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to most other artists, Children Of Bodom is light years ahead. Compared to themselves, they've fallen short this time. The title track has to be one of the best songs on the album, and, not so suprisingly, it is one of the closest to their old style. In many places the 64th note double bass seems forced, almost as if it's some cliche that has to be thrown in every song. If I lost this CD, I would most certainly buy it again. That goes for anything Children Of Bodom has ever released. // 8

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: Bad Dream, on january 23, 2006

Sound: This is a fantastic album, I've followed COB for a while now, and this is the best sounding album album. Alexi is one of the great new guitarists, he has a great mind for what sounds good in a power metal song. This album has great riffs and awsome solo's. // 9

Lyrics: Although Alexi isn't the most talented singer in the world you can understand what he's saying, most of the time. Then again thats what you get from most bands in the same style of music. The singing deffinately fits the fast paced beats. This is shown in If You Want Peace... Prepare For War. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good album, I love the guitar work: its complex and fast. Alexi is a great guitarist, as I've already said. The lyrics can get a bit annoying at times. However this is the best COB album. If you want to check it out, definately listen to Living Dead Beat, it's style sums up the whole album. // 9

Are You Dead Yet? Reviewed by: Warheart1188, on march 15, 2007

Sound: A huge departure for the Bodom boys with this album. Leaving the melodic death/black metal sound, CoB goes for a more aggressive metal sound that will definitely shun a huge percentage of their fan base. With more riff oriented songs and less guitar/keyboard leads, this album features dropped tuned guitars and somewhat repetitive solos-pentatonics mixed with diminished arpeggios. No more neoclassical stuff! That's not to say the riffs are nothing less than cool. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics seem the same but have an overall different feel. The whole 'I wanna die', 'to the reaper we go!' thing is done and it's all about getting f--ked up and f--kin' other people up basically. I was a huge fan of their original lyrical style but this seems mainstream. // 4

Overall Impression: I was excited when I heard the "Trashed, Lost, And Strungout" EP, the title song kicks ass! It has everything we love about Bodom in this song. Sadly, the whole album isn't that way. CoB were masters of their craft but now it seems like we've heard this before but from other bands. The slower tempos used on this album mark a huge change for the worse for the die hard Bodom fans. I'm one of them (a die-hard fan of their old stuf), just look at my name. // 5

More Children Of Bodom reviews rating latest review