Follow The Reaper Review

Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
 9.3
 9.5
Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 12, 2006

Sound: Ah, Children Of Bodom at their peak. This album is heavier than ever, and has the most daring soloing efforts from the twisted mind of the "Wildchild", Alexi Laiho & keyboardist Janne Warman yet. The songs on this album still have some of the insane melody lines (mostly neo-classical) that made them famous in the first place, as well as a new forged heavy sound that makes this album sound even better than their first 2 releases. The songwriting is even more so mature than "Hatbreeder" which is difficult to belive. I have a bonus version of this album which includes a cover of W.A.S.P.'s "Hellion". And you know what? It's still a kick-ass tune and makes an excellent addition to the track lising for "FTR". The overall sound of this album is basically that it starts off amazing, and just keeps getting better all the way up until the end! // 10

Lyrics: This album is the peak of Bodom's career in terms of vocals & lyrics. Alexi shows a much broader range than on his earlier efforts on "Something Wild" and "Hatebreeder". He still has a lot of the black/death metal aspects in his voice, but introduces some vocals that seem much more natural, and were the starting point of a new vocalizing level for Alexi to come. Basically, on songs like "Kissing The Shadows" or "Northern Comfort", he displays the death metal aspect of his voice. However, it's on other tracks like "Everytime I Die" that really show a different side of Laiho that are proof that he just keeps progressing not only as a guitar player, but a singer as well. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is my overall favourite album by Bodom so far. The songs are killer, the vocals are betterthan ever-and above all; the solos are more abundant than ever! As usual, there's pretty much no filler, so every song is a gem on "Follow The Reaper". But I must take the time to suggest "Everytime I Die", "Bodom After Midnight", "Children Of Decadence", and of course, the grand finale "Kissing The Shadows". Everything is great on this album, so Bodom fans will not be disappointed. If I ever lost this album, believe me, I would be following death into the gates of hell-cuz that's the only way I'm losing this album! // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom is obviously one of the best melodic death metal/power metal bands alive, and this album proves it. The bands sound itself in retrospect, I think, that Alexi just unloads it like he always does, in the Title track, "Follow The Reaper" the solo is just mind blowing, over-exaggerated orgasmic tension flowing through his fingers into your ears, a serenity of string movements, just with it blowing every other band out of the water, and their bonus song "Hellion" with the bone cracking intro, it biulds up tension to the song, which makes it even more intruiging by the way Alexi and Alexander work. What really striked me oddly is in the track "Every Time I Die" Alexi put down his guitar, and let Alexander take the stage. This obviously being the highlight of Alexanders time with CoB, He soon after in 2003 quit the band due to family life, he told Alexi "IT hurts me, it hurts you to know that I'm obviously not enjoying this anymore, and I'm only doing it for the money, it hurts the fans too." With him saying this, Roope Vatlava, quickly took up Alexi's offer and took his place, Roope Vatlava, being in one of the most famous, and "prehistoric" death metal bands known as Stone, the next two albums they produced, Hatecrew Deathroll, and Trashed Lost & Strungout, turned out to be a smash in my views, bringing the level of COB's talent straight through the roof. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi's voccals in this album, truly defines what some people would describe as "Someone ripping a strip of duct tape off of your soul," well that's how I would describe it, and thats how I like it. The lyrics are powerful nonetheless. Alexi's skill for singing/screaming is undoubtedly some of the best in Metal. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to anything else, except for Alexi's and Roope's other band Sinergy, which I think they do alot better in, but for the most part, Alexi and Alexander "rip it good." If I lost this album, I'd be at the music store the next day buying it again. I'll conclude this review, by saying COB isn't ready to f--king die yet, keep shredding, and f--k the world. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: atkm2891, on december 23, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom has amazing talent in their band, and show it at their fullest in this album. They still use keyboards in this album, which really make the songs original. The album is closer to power metal than any other COB album. It is also considered the best COB album. All the songs were written by Alex L. except the 11th, that is an Ozzy Osbourne cover. // 10

Lyrics: Alex Laiho does an amazing job, singing and playing lead guitar. It is amazing how he can play metal and sing at the same time. The lyrics talk about night and death, mainly the reaper. Sometimes the singing kinda sounds like Cradle Of Filth, which I hate. // 7

Overall Impression: It's more like power metal than the other albums, faster and higher. Not many artists are similar to it, I guess Dark Tranquility is close. The best songs are Mask of Sanity, and Follow The Reaper. Love the sound of it, but don't really like the singing. If it were stolen I would probably buy it again. // 9

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 17, 2003

Sound: I have to mention the great sound of this album. You can hear every single instrument on here perfectly, musicians of Children of Bodom and Peter Tagtgrenan must of worked up a sweat. // 10

Overall Impression: Children of Bodom have recorded their best ablum in their career. The 10 tracks found on "Follow the Reaper" are an explosive mix of death & heavy metal. The solos on this album are killer (played by Alexi Laiho) and the vocals aren't an obstacle in the music either. The album has such killer tracks as "Children of Decadance", "Mask of Sanity" and "Hate Me!". The single (Hate Me!) went platinum in Finland (they have it good over there). "Follow the Reaper" is one of my candidates for album of the year (2001). Alexi Laiho says this about the new COB baby, "I think everybody will be surprised with the new material, it's like an atom bomb, each song is an explosion, and a great load of energy". I think that's enough said to spend a few bucks on the album. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: metallifan1, on july 31, 2006

Sound: The sound is amazing on this whole album. Alexi's guitar work is amazing. All of the harmonizing keyboards and guitars gives the songs almost a power metal quality. Alexi's singing is often overshadowed by his guitarwork, but his screams are harsh and heavy, just like any black/death metal lover likes it. His guitar solos are above most of the other bands around. not to mention the gutwrenching drum work. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album some people might call weak and not thought out, but I have a totally different opinion about Alexi's lyrics. If you notice, almost all of the lyrics are written in the first person, for instance "You wanna f--k me down 'till I'm bleeding red. I couldn't care less I'll end up rotting in the mud, so come on muthaf give me your best shot." He doesn't take crap from anybody and is not afraid to express that in his lyrics. Alexi's screams give otherwise power metal songs that signature bodom sound mixing black/death metal screams. His screams are actually very melodic and almost seems as if he is singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is my favorite CD. The most impressive songs on the album are Follow The Reaper, Mask Of Sanity, and Hate Me! I love the guitar work, drums and vocals and I don't have anything about this album. If it were stolen or lost it wouldn't matter, because I have another copy for that very reason. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2005

Sound: Alexi Laiho is the next leader of the new wave of guitar heroes out there. People too young to know of Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen will look to him for inspiration. This CD, is by far the best album melodically, as it blends classical inspired leads with the brutal black metal vocals and crushing riffs Laiho is known for. You can obviously hear Laiho's classical training as well as his love of Yngwie Malmsteen. If you are looking for their best melodic album, buy this. Their best "heavy" album in my opinion would be Hatebreeder, which brings Bodom's playing to the most extreme. Hatebreeder isn't produced as well as Follow The Reaper, but it contains more classical inspired playing. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi is actually a decent singer, but it doesn't show on this album, though his ability to make his screaching vocals have some melody is surprising. A lot of the songs the vocals are hard to interpret, but the vocals aren't the main part of the CD. The lyrics are in one word, dark. // 10

Overall Impression: Unlike any other CD I own, there is not one single track I dislike on this album. Every single song is impressive. I love the solos, and Alexi's lead playing in general. He has taken what it means to be an accomplished player to a new level. His solos are incredibly fast, but they maintain clarity and melody throughout each one. His selection of scales go great in this album. By all means, buy this! // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: shadows666, on september 19, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom are unlike any other metal band out there right now. The music is heavy as hell and very catchy. Alexi's ability to fuse classical influences with metal is phenomenal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are superb. Some of them are hard to follow at times but hey, that's what the booklet that comes with the CD is for right? Alexi is a very talented singer. He writes what comes to his head and doesn't care how dark it is. I like that in a singer/songwriter. The lyrics flow greatly with the music. On tracks like "Hate Me" and "Everytime I Die," the lyrics are extremely catchy and I find myself sing ing these songs whenever they come on. // 10

Overall Impression: As far as this album goes, it's pretty good. I think Something Wild and Hatebreeder are heavier in terms of music and lyrics, though. The best songs on this album would have to be "Hate Me," "Bodom After Midnight," "Mask Of Sanity" and the bonus track "Hellion." The solos on this album are incredible and floor me everytime I hear them. Alexi Laiho makes sweep picking sound easy and he uses this in a lot of songs on the album. It was kind of a bummer that thet album only had 10 tracks on it. If this album were ever lost or stolen I would go out and but it again in a heart beat. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: We_Wont_Die, on february 27, 2006

Sound: Children Of Bodom's best CD in my opinion. Alexi Laiho is still a freak, and just keeps getting better. Finland, you have to be very proud of these guys! And again, you have a cover with the Grim Reaper and a scythe. Alexi and Co. did a fantastic job at maintaining their image and melodic death metal and thrash. Nothing more to say there. // 9

Lyrics: If you can figure out what Laiho is saying, they are awesome lyrics, especially in the song Follow The Reaper (track 1). The way that he plays lead and sings at the same time is bloody amazing. But a warning: Laiho's voice takes quite a while to get used to, so yeah. Just so you know. // 9

Overall Impression: As all you COB fans know, there is no other band in the world that compares to these guys, and their only album that I think does is Hate Crew Deathroll. The most impressive songs on the album would have to be Follow The Reaper, Children Of Decadence and Hellion (WASP cover). What I love about the album is that all of the songs are awesome, not just where you put three songs on your iPod and delete the others. If it was stolen, I would cry, and then buy it. Or get it off a friend. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: metalreaper450, on october 11, 2006

Sound: Children of Bodom are at it again with possibly their best release. This album is still classicly inspired, not as much as hatebreeder but you can still feel it in the melodies. This album features the classic COB sound: guitar harmonies, guitar vs. keyboard battles, blistering fast riffs and loud vocals. This album has often been labeled as possibly power metal but don't get your genres mixed up. Power metal is up beat and has falsetto vocals. This album is scandinavian melodic death metal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for COB are often criticized, one because we don't really know what half of them are, and two because most people that like COB aren't into the reaper stuff. This album though has a lot better lyrics than Are You Dead Yet though. Alexi's vocals take getting used to and feature a lot of "Yaow!"s but I have grown to like his vocal style. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is probably the best middle ground between the heavier Hate Crew Death Roll and the classical yet heavy Hatebreeder. There honestly isn't a bad song on here, and I think a comment on the bottom says it the best, "the worst song is northern comfort and it still kicks ass!" My favorite songs are Follow The Reaper, Everytime I Die, Hate Me, and Kissing The Shadows. Kissing The shadows was written at the last second but the solo owns my soul. Also the bonus track of Hellion is a nice touch as well. This album features great solos with many different playing techniques and catchy riffs/melodies. Overall this album is a must for anyone into melodic death metal, or metal in general. I would definitely severely hurt the person you stole it from me. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on august 30, 2007

Sound: My impression of the band's sound and music is very good, and very heavy and dark. This is Children of Bodom's third album and probably one of their best. Their style is very unique, they are a melodic death metal band in my opinion, but they combine elements of black metal, thrash metal, and even power metal to make their own signature sound. The keyboards put a very nice atmospheric dark sound to it, which just seem to flow perfect with the guitars, and drums are very good IMO, because the drummer knows when to speed up and slow down to make a certain feel for a song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well, let's just be honest, a good deal of Alexi's lyrics aren't exactly what you would call "deep", but he does do the whole in your face very well, and I give him props for that, because not very many songwriters can make such straight forward aggresive lyrics without sounding like Fred Durst. The lyrics also flow very well with the music, so Alexi earns props for that also. Now although a lot of people don't like Alexi's lyrics, I find it hard to deny that his voice is amazing. His growls are very spot on, and he has a very unique voice, and it's good to find a singer that not everyone can duplicate. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes, this album does definetly compare to their others. I would say it is probably their best. My favorite song and IMO the most impressive are "Mask Of Sanity", "Hate Me!", "Follow the Reaper", and "Every Time I Die". I love pretty much every aspect of the album, I just don't like that the keyboards are overused at times, but other than that it's a great buy, and yea I'd buy it again if it were stolen or lost. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: F-ing Hostile, on november 02, 2007

Sound: Children Of Bodom's sound on this album IMO is perfect for them, it's kind of like a mixture of Hatebreeder and HCDR, it's a great melodic death metal album, with some of the most amazing solos and riffs that Children of Bodom has made. Children of Bodom as I said use a melodic Death metal sound on this album, with some thrashy riffs, and almost power metalish riffs at times, but for the most part it sounds like a melodeath album, and every song has an amazing shred solo on it which are completely awesome. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics? Well, I think we all know Alexi isn't an amazing lyricist, but it works because it compliments the music so well, for example, The verse of Mask of Sanity, the way the vocals go along with the instruments perfectly. Alexi has some really good growling skills, he can hold a note for a while and has a good range of things he can do. // 8

Overall Impression: Yes this album definetly compares to the other albums, it is their best album IMO, the most impressive songs are definetly "Every Time I Die", "Bodom After Midnight", "Follow The Reaper," "Mask Of Sanity", "Children of Decadence" and "Helion". Basically what I love is everything, the growling vocals, the amazing guitar harmonies and solos, the drums, the keyboards, and I really don't hate anything about it. Yes I would buy it again if it were stolen. // 10

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: NegativeCreep93, on november 21, 2008

Sound: Children Of Bodom are now known as being one of the more peculiar metal bands of the death metal era. Mixing the use of power metal, Black Metal and Death Metal makes for an interesting blend.Its been awhile since I've listened to this particular Bodom album so I'll just take it by track. The First track we here on Follow the Reaper is the titular song "Follow the Reaper" starting off with an excerpt from The Exorcist 3 it quickly develops into a typical melodic death metal song.The thing that throws most people off with this album is that people don't expect the almost happy keyboards and the neo-classical-esque solo that Alexi pulls off somewhere between the third chorus and the outro. It truly shows why this man is regarded as one of the finest guitar player on the modern metal scene today.Its indeed a memorable track and a great opener for on of the best albums Bodom has every done. Every Time I Die, Mask of Sanity and Hate Me! Are arguably the best tracks on the album.From the creepy keyboard intro to Hate Me!, To the layered sound of Everytime I Die and the catchy chorus of Mask Of Sanity this album definently holds up it's weight in terms of diversity.By Doing this I think Bodom have definently nsures that this album guarantees repeated listens from devoted metalheads and Bodom fans. This album is indeed a spectacular effort but it is not without it's weakpoints.One of the biggest problems I think on the album are the the lag the album experiences after the first song.After Follow the Reaper your ready to hear, and are probably expecting, some amazing metal song. While some people may argue about this I think that there is too much filler on this album. The album can go from a completly inspired track to a completly cliche metal song.Songs like Bodom After Midnight, Children of Decadence, Northern Comfort and Kissing the Shadows completly rely on metal cliches such as speedy Tremolo-picked guitar riffs and Blast Beats. They even fall onto bodom cliches such as technichally impressive, but boring, guitar solos and creepy keyboard interludes. This being said, I think Bodom would be better off cutting these songs, but then again the album would be far too short. In the end I think Children of Bodom have put out a more than satisfying release.While it tends to lag a bit, the overall sound leaves you craving more Bodom. Only one thing to do, start the CD over again. // 8

Lyrics: Children of Bodoms lyrics usually focus on themes such as the occult, anger, hate and the Grim Reaper.When you compare this to the sound that Bodom are obviously trying to pound into are collective skulls you can't help but feel everything kinda synching up in a good way. Hate fules this album with lyrics like "I was born in ashes of molten hatred; Raised by Demons in abodes of the dead." Puts you in the spot. You actually can feel how angry this band is and has become. Which compliments most of the instruments beautifully but leaves the keyboards out of the equation for most of the songs. Which, depending on which side of Bodom you prefer, can leave you a little dissapointed. Alexi Laiho, to say the least, was born to play guitar. His vocals are basically in the same vein as most german thrash metal bands. The only time I can see Alexi trying to stretch out as a better vocalist is on Mask of Sanity. The chorus is insanely catchy and it took me weeks to get it out of my head. When I get right down to it I think that you shouldn't let Bodoms vocals get in the way of you enjoying this album because if you do I think you'll be missing out because I said "Alexi was born to play guitar." // 7

Overall Impression: Follow the Reaper is a fantastic album and is definently one of their best. If you were stack this up with almost any other Bodom album it would blow it out of the water. The only Bodom album that rivals this one is Htebreeder but its to different of a sound to compare directly. Children of Bodom have lagged a bit with there recent releases but I believe that they are on the right track and they might even top this album with there next.The Modern metal scene is divided between modern extreme metal and modern mainstream metal and I truly believe that Bodom are the kings of the extremists. Even if at times it crosses the line into power metal sometimes everything stays at full throttle the whole time.I think that this is Bodoms masterpiece and cant wait to see if they top it. // 8

Follow The Reaper Reviewed by: stratdud39, on april 28, 2009

Sound: I'd say the tone is better than the two previous albums (something wild and hatebreeder), it has a fuller, deeper tone. My only complaint is that the vocals are too soft, all of Bodom's other albums have much louder vocals. From this album on, things went a little down hill, so I'd say this is the marking period of bodom's more neoclassical directed music style. One song that I'd say sounds a little more like bodom's newer stuff is "Everytime I Die". Just because of that chugging on the low e string, though. These guys sound similar to power metal, but with death metal vocals. But I wouldn't say they are quite melodic death metal either. In other words, their genre is difficult to pinpoint. // 8

Lyrics: Again, the vocals needed to be a little louder, but that's my only complaint. Alexi screaming I'd say is much better than on the first two albums, as his low screaming sounded sort of punky. He barely does any low screaming on this album, but when he does it, it sounds pretty awesome. When I first listened to this album the whole way through (which was the first time I listened to the album), I immediately got hooked to the really fast and high screaming Laiho does in "Children of Decadence". // 9

Overall Impression: I don't hate anything except for what has already been stated. My least favorite song on the album is probably Northern Comfort, but if I listened to it more often then I do, I would begin to become attracted to it. I would say the top 5 songs on the album are (in no specific order) "Children of Decadence", "Hate me", "Everytime I Die", "Taste of My Scythe", and "Kissing the Shadows". If I lost this album, I'd definitly go out and buy it again. Hell, I'd buy 25 copies if I had to (assuming 24 of them were stolen). // 10

More Children Of Bodom reviews rating latest review