Hate Crew Deathroll Review

9.1
 9.5
 8.7
Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: Metal_militia16, on january 27, 2004

Sound: Fu**ing Brutal. This brilliant record from C.O.B. has been playing in my stereo for a looooooong time. Songs like Sixpounder, You're Better Off Dead, and Hatecrew Deathroll make this album an instant classic in my metal eyes. As far as the guitar sound, it's way fucking complex, and the melody in Angels Don't kill just fucking kick ass. The solos are full of sweeps, and the keyboard solos are awesome. C.O.B. also reminds me of Iron Maiden (Needled 24/7) and Slayer (You're Better Off Dead), they've certaintly got the technical flair. I just can't say one bad thing about the sound. It's just crushing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty fucking cool, they kind of sound like they are describing a war, or ready to drink and fight. You can't really understand what Alexi is saying during the song, but hey, that's what the linear notes are for, right? // 8

Overall Impression: Again, I can't say one thing about this album. If my dog took a shit on it, then I'd probly shoot my dog. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 19, 2007

Sound: Anyone who is unfamiliar with Children of Bodom is really missing out. What sets C.O.B. apart from every other band on the planet is their ability to mix two of the greatest crafts of metal: power and melody. Each song is an unadulterated rock anthem, and I've yet to hear a Bodom song without at least 2 or 3 solos. Somehow, every song manages to be nothing like the one before it, yet captures the true essence of metal today. One cannot accurately describe Children of Bodom; one can only experience it. // 10

Lyrics: Lead guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho absolutely blew me away. How can you sing and solo at the same time? What's more, Laiho's subject matter is also amazing. The band derived it's name from the tragic events of Bodominjrvi (that's Lake Bodom for us English speaking folks) and they reiterate the location on many of the albums songs, as well as on other albums. Alexi stands maybe 5'5", but when you see him in person he might as well be 10 feet tall. This guy just owns the stage as soon as he hits it, and only the considerable skill of his fellow Bodom band mates (especially keyboardist Janne Warman) keep him from running away with the whole thing altogether. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first heard Hate Crew Deathroll, I could not believe my ears. No album since Metallica's Master of Puppets has brought to bear so much sonic anihillation. I really enjoy the keyboard intros on songs like "Angels Don't Kill" because it's so quiet and ominous. There is some background speech going, and when the guitar hits the listener is totally unprepared. By the time you realize what is going on, there are complex melodies going in every direction. The way the band plays off each other is a thrill to experience. What can I honestly say? This album changed my life! // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Sound: This album is absolutely amazing. I bought it based on one song (Needled 24/7) and needless to say, it did not disappoint. The whole album blends the feel of each song together making it seem like you're listening to a kick-ass 43 minute song. Alexi Laiho's voice alters and does not fail to bore the listener like other blackmetal vocalists. Laiho and Kuoppala also provide some amazing guitar work to this album, from the verses to the solos their skill is mind bending. A key aspect of this album is the use of keyboards. Janne Warman (as the keyboardist) doesn't fail to provide vivid (and very red) soundscapes for Laiho and Kuoppala to work around. Warman also gives some of the songs life (Bodom Beach Terror). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics did impress me considering most foreign bands who write in english have some problems expressing them (as ArchEnemy & LacunaCoil). Alexi put together great words to express what he felt, which wasn't really anger but something close to it. The lyrics and music worked together as well which made everything about this album more pleasent, even though it's fast and slick. // 8

Overall Impression: This album caught me by surprise and it caught me good. The music is so inexplicable that I can't find a genre for it(even though some call it blackmetal). It is alive and awake for it's entire span. No non-sense metal (even though 'Angels Don't Kill' slows the flow a bit it is still a great song). With 9 songs they were able to spark amazing music and really prove that quantity is not better than quality. Even though this entire album is a masterpiece and it would be unfair to pick highlights, if i had to choose i would go with 'Needled 24/7', 'Bodom Beach Terror', and the title track 'Hate Crew Deathroll'. If this album was stolen I would kill the thief and buy another one. This album is much more worth the purchase. I've become an instant Children Of Bodom fan. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: Bodom_Shredder7, on december 22, 2004

Sound: Children Of Bodom are an incredible band there sound is outstanding with the solos and guitar and keyboard harmonies. The recording quality is great and the guitars and drums are crisp and clear. The style of music id say is probably melodic death metal or thrash but Alexi is a genious at what he writes. If you don't mormally listen to heavy metal I suggest getting this album or at least listening to it. It's some great melodic music but it can also rip your face off with its intense riffs and solos. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty insane on this album, talking about death and all that stuff and the lake bodom murders. And don't even get me started on Alexi's singing. Viscious, brutal, ravaging. He is an awesome singer even though it's just mainly growling and some screaming. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the other albums this is probably my favorite the songs on it are ferocious. My favorites include: Needled 24/7, Sixpounder, Chokehold, Bodom Beach Terror, Angels Don't Kill, Triple Corpse Hammerblow, You're Better Of Dead, Lil Blood Red Riding Hood and Hatecrew Deathblow. That's right they are all equally awesome except for You're Better Off Dead (I guess that one is my Favorite). Ok now, that being said go out and buy it! It is an instant classic. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: 666Pounder666, on april 21, 2005

Sound: Let me just start off by saying that Children Of Bodom are one of the greatest things ever to come out of Europe. The sound is incredible. Alexi hammering on guitar and Jaska Raatikainen pounding away on the drums - it's all good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of the best I've ever heard. The only reason I gave this a 4 was because sometimes you can barely hear what Alexi is saying. But other than that, Alexi's vocal skills are one of a kind. // 8

Overall Impression: Children Of Bodom have pushed farther (in my opinion) than any other black metal band of its time. This is the first album I've bought from them after having a friend tell me to check out this song Needled 24/7 by them. After that I had to grab the album. Anyone who hasn't bought this yet, either die or go get it. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: pieceofmind128, on november 23, 2006

Sound: A complete change from any previous stuff from CoB. This one's got aggressive guitar lines, tantalizing keyboards, mind-bending bass lines and gut-busting blastbeats. Janne Wirman and Alexi Laiho still take those signature make-your-fingers-hurt-just-listening guitar solos with powerful rhythm guitar and bass lines in the background. If you're used to the fancy classical and technical riffs from albums like Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper, this album is a wonderful smack in the face with a musical baseball bat. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics take a turn away from CoB's previous stuff. Yeah, it's still about death, and war, and all that like their previous topics, but this time, they're completely antagonistic and aggressive to the point of insulting the listener. For example, in the title track "Hate Crew Deathroll," Alexi goes so far as to constantly scream insults like "stupid c***." The lyrics are very good, and since this is one of the very few instances where they are included in the booklet, it makes it even better. // 8

Overall Impression: The album was totally different than other CoB albums. It's the real turning point and the transitional album between their old stuff and Are You Dead Yet?, which I already owned. It's a sort of in-between from power/black/death to thrash/death styles. The only song I really don't like is the title track itself, only because something about it just doesn't flow right. Overall, however, it's a very good album and if it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: Necro-cide, on august 22, 2007

Sound: This album is a very diverse leap for Children Of Bodom as you can hear, they have taken a lot more elements out of their sound and added new ones. As I find with this album is that a lot of the keyboards are moving towards a more industrial style of playing, as children of bodom started showing in "Follow The Reaper" and the guitars are not as blistering fats as in their previous efforts, although they do have their moments. The solos of this album are surprisingly catchy for a shred band, a lot catchier than their previous efforts. Another thing to note is they seem to have dropped the use of Chorus hooks, not completely, but there are far fewer present than in their previous releases, as their chorus seem to be more relying on Crushing powerchords and the Impressive vocal work. The sounds range from the moody, evil and distant "Angels Don't Kill" to the more in-your-face pundings of the title track "Hate Crew Deathroll". // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are not the most creative lyrics I have seen, but they are not terrible all the same, they seem to have that angry element to them in which you can't disagree. In the past Alexi was always powerful at projecting his voice in a variety of Pitches and their is no exception in HCD. He definatley delivers a powerful performance, and really stands out against other vocalists of similar genres. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this album tops a lot of their previous efforts, and it tops many efforts form likestyle bands that bridge into similar categories as COB. I think the most impressive songs on the album are efforts such as "Your'e Better Off Dead" "Angel's Don't Kill" and the title track "Hate Crew Deathroll". The thing I love the most about this album is the way everything fits together. If this album was lost I would definatley buy another one. // 9

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: autumnskyguitar, on july 22, 2006

Sound: Hatecrew is my favorite COB album released thus far. This album being the answer to their 2001 album "Follow The Reaper". Here you can see COB start to move away from the sound created on previous albums. Alexi Laiho (lead guitar, lead vocals) usually rips off a series of single notes over a chord progression in the verses, chorus, etc. In this album, we see him playing more chord progressions himself than on past albums. It's hard to describe the differences in this album, as compared to previous albums, but if you listened to them you'd recognize it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are always hard to understand because of Alexi's singing style. He uses a sort of growl (usually seen in hardcore music, but Bodom is much better than all hardcore bands), making it hard to make out the lyrics without having them in front of you. However, on this album it is easier to make out the lyrics (especially on Needled 24/7). Alexi is a very good lyric composer, so the lyrics fit right in with the beat of the music. As a singer, this is Alexi's best album vocally (except for maybe the Are You Dead Yet album). As usual, the lyrics cover the following subjects: Grim Reaper, Hate for other people, Lake Bodom murders, black metal type stuff, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, this is COB's best album. There are so many great songs on this album. I love the album for their incorporation of keyboards. It's so rare to see that in metal. Alexi's guitar playing is among the best I've seen. They are such a great band, especially live (by the way, "Needled 24/7" and "Sixpounder" are pretty much mandatory on their set list). There really isn't anything I hate on the album, either. If I lost it I'd without a doubt purchase another one. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: EvilynCrawl, on july 20, 2009

Sound: After the masterpiece Follow the Reaper, Children of Bodom returns with an amazing album, full of both power and melodical songs. Hate Crew Deathroll is defenitely better than anything Children of Bodom has ever put in albuns like Something Wild and Hatebreeder. Althought it has not the writing complexity of Follow the Reaper with kissing the shadows or bodom after midnight, it still has a bunch of riffs and solos that make any other speed\thrash\death metal feel noisy about their own work. Bodom Beach Terror and Hate Crew Deathroll are pretty nice examples of that masterwork by "Wildchild" Alexi(lead guitar and vocals), even being just kind of "secondary songs". Needled 24/7 is probably the greatest song in this album, followed by SixPounder, You're better off dead and Angels don't kill, a song that continues the concept of Everytime I Die, a most melodical song that also shows a diferent side of Alexi. These four songs are probably the greatest examples (on this album) of the fantastic capacity of the band to "mix" lead and rythm guitar with the keyboards, without wanting to reduce the work of the other members of the band, specially Jaska, whose lightning speeding play makes a tremendous power to the music. // 10

Lyrics: For someone that didn't wrote lyrics at all in the late years of the band (when Children of Bodom were still working on their demos as inearthed), Laiho has been shown to be a complete genious. But lyrics are just a suport for the music. They become secondary when the Alexi unleashes all his riffs and solos. Theres is nothing special to say about Alexi voice. It is not really something special but it's decent and gives a very singular style to Bodom music. // 8

Overall Impression: One of the best albuns by the finnish band (the second after Follow the Reaper) following the style that Children of Bodom started with Something Wild, a very singular style, with influences from the most different metal bands, such as Slayer, Entombed, Maiden and many others. Followed by Jaska, Janne and Henkka, Alexi Laiho is in the right way to lead what is becoming one of the most important and influencial bands of this decade. // 9

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: shadows666, on october 11, 2005

Sound: CoB are back again with another kick ass album! This album is one of their harder ones. The keyboards and guitars on the album have a much more grittier sound and I think that helps to improve upon the all around sound of the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually easier to understand than on their previous albums. Alexi actually makes his growls have some melody to them. It's almost like he's trying to sing but doesn't want to and it sounds freekin sweet as hell! The lyrics go great with the mood that the music creates and it flows well. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitely one of their better albums. Better solo's on this album as well, especially on the title track, "Hatecrew Deathroll." The best songs on this album are "You're Better Off Dead," "Angels Don't Kill," "Needled 24/7" and "Hatecrew Deathroll." I couldn't really find anything wrong with this album, actually. I absolutely love it and if it were stolen I would go and buy it again. // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: metal32, on october 26, 2005

Sound: I never liked screaming, fast, death metal. In fact, I thought it absolutely sucked. Until I heard COB's Hate Crew Deathroll. A friend let me borrow this CD after I read about Alexi in Guitar World, and I was completely blown away. This album has some of the heaviest, fastest, hardest, but at the same time the most melodic riffs and harmonies ever produced. The guitar work of Alexi and Alexander Kuoppala is brilliant, and the crashing snare and bass drum combos of Jaska Raatikainen combined with the pounding brutal bass of Hennka T. Blacksmith makes for one heavy Scandinavian masterpiece. This is also the first good metal group that I have heard incorporate a keyboard (Janne Warman is amazingly good) into their music, and it works [especially the keyboard solo on Chokehold (Cocked 'N Loaded)]. Overall, I would have to say this is some of the best produced sound on the musical market, and would say that this is a must hear sound for anyone who has ever said that they like metal. // 10

Lyrics: As I said, I'm not a big fan of screaming, but after I heard this album, I have a new respect for that genre of music. The lyrical content of this album is so gorgeously evil. I love it! The album contains some of the best lyrics ever found in songs about death, violence, and oh yeah, hate. My overall impression is that Alexi is a brilliant songwriter: he knows how to make dark and heavy subject matter sound like it can flow right along with a piece by Bach. // 9

Overall Impression: I haven't heard a group sound this good in a long time, and I have to say that these guys are by far the most talented group of musicians ever. Some may buy the album and not be able to get into it, but you just have to be in the right mood for death, destruction, violence, chaos, and oh yeah again, hate. From possibly one of the coolest fast melodic riffs ever in Needled 24/7, the great rythm of Sixpounder, the mastery of Chokehold, the most beautiful solo speed/death metal has ever heard on Bodom Beach Terror, the beautiful harmony of Angels don't kill and the most aggressive metal song of all time: You're Better Off Dead, COB concocted an excellent mixture of flair, style, talent, aggression, and attitude into what I feel is the best metal album ever produced - right up there with Metallica's Master Of Puppets and Slayer's Reign In Blood. Buy this album, and if it gets lost or stolen, don't hesitate to tell the motherf--ker that took it that they're better off dead! // 10

Hate Crew Deathroll Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 21, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is just incredible. The guitars on this album are amazing, Alexi's riffs and solos are amazing and the rhythm guitar does its job very, very nicely. The bass on this album is very, very amazing and it is very hard to play on some songs because the bassist just does all these crazy thing on the bass. The drums on this album are just amazing the guy does his job on the drums like a very intelligent and amazing guy at making up drumbeats for a such good band. The keyboard's on this album are amazing, like in some songs the keyboard would start it off then the guitar would join in doing the same thing and I think its pretty sweet that they have a keyboard in this band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album very intelligent even thought you cannot understand what Alexi is saying you can look up on the internet or on the booklet off the CD. Alexi is one of the best songwriters in the history of metal and he always will be because his voice just sound amazing and his screams are just unbelieveable. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because it just kicks complete ass. I just love everything about this album, they have solos in every song which is amazing and they even have some keyboard solos which is pretty cool. I hate nothing about this album. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because Children Of Bodom have their own sound of heavy/death metal which is really amazing. So I would recommend this album to any fans of death/heavy metal because this album defenitely kicks complete ass. I would also recommend this album to any people who want to try out and see what COB sound like then get this one and it will introduce you to what they sound like. This is defenitely one of the best album I own and always will be. So get it you will not regret it. // 10

More Children Of Bodom reviews rating latest review