Hatebreeder Review

Lyrics: 8.4
 9.2
 8.7
Hatebreeder Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 11, 2006

Sound: Bodom shines even brighter on their follow-up to "Something Wild". "Hatebreeder" is a step up from their previous album since the tunes are a bit faster and incorporate a lot more melody and technique than "Something Wild" did. On the other hand, it still packs quite a punce in terms of heaviosity and you can even hear the bass a lot more in this one. In my personal opinion, this second-coming only makes me think even greater of Bodom. The songs are fresh-sounding and as innovative as "Something Wild" was and is much more memorable. The neo-classical sound is ever-present on this album as well, so Bodom fans will enjoy it very much. And the soloing is even bolder and longer this time around too! Janne Warman makes an even bigger presence in "Hatebreeder" as well, so basically, it seems like this album had a lot more band collaboration as opposed to just one or 2 members arranging the tunes. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi explodes with even more powerful vocals on this album. Especially in songs like "Bed Of Razors" and "Warheart". His singing is even more so chilling and a lot clearer too, which makes this album that much easier to listen to. Also, there are some interesting war yells in some tunes, as well as a collaboration from Alexi's other band's singer, Kiberly Goss (from Sinergy). All in all, Hatebreeder makes a lot of steps forward in terms of vocals and lyrics, which is always a good thing as far as I'm concened. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is just as mind-blowing as "Something Wild" is. Honestly, in terms of a genre, Bodom only seems comparable to themselves because nobody out there (at least not to my knowledge) sounds like them. Every song, like on "Something Wild" is totally amazing as well. However, if I had to pick a few, they'd be: the title track, "Bed Of Razors", "Black Widow" & "Children Of Bodom"-especially that outro keyboard solo! This album's a little bit longer than their first, but not long enough however. Just the same, it shows that Bodom once again proved unable to release filler material! I would never lose this album-it's too precious! But if I did, you can warrant that it'll be replaced or retrieved somehow. Basically, fans of heavy, technical & melodic music will not be disappointed! // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2003

Sound: Jesus Christ! That guy can play guitar! Wish he'd only stop singing... No really, this is a killer album as far as the sound. Classical meets heavy/death metal. Once in a while these albums come along that hasn't got one bad song on it (usually at least 1 song sucks...). Main man of the band, Alexi Laiho (who calls himself, very cool "Wildchild"...) knows what scales to use. Maybe it's because of his violin experience? Anyway, he is still very young (21, I believe) and promises to be a future guitar god (if he still isn't). We are gonna hear from them... // 10

Lyrics: At first I thought the singing was terrible, you just couldn't hear what he was singing... Later on I got used to his Alexi's voice and now I'm just fine with it. It means to me that I "accept" his singing, but just don't listen to this album for the great singing in it! But of course, like in every deathmetal band, the lyrics are about death, destruction and that stuff... (if you're looking for something else, listen to Opeth...). // 8

Overall Impression: Master album! Definitely the best one by COB so far, I haven't seen them matching up to this. I think the great difference between this and the later albums is that later on Alexi already knew he was a guitar god, and somehow bragged with this. Also the later albums are much less classically inspired, which means that they are of course classically inspired (it is the COB....) but much less than I liked in Hatebreeder. First I copied this CD, later when I was very much into COB I also bought it (well, I got it for Christmas...). Top songs from the album: Towards dead end, Silent night Bodom night, Downfall. // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: Syderflamed35, on october 03, 2006

Sound: Holy cow, COB's sound on this album is incredibly mindblowing. The album never seems to let up. From the opening "Warheart" to the very impressive closer "Downfall", the band always delivers. Alexi's guitar playing is mind bending. All the riffs and solos are top-notch. Henkka's bass playing is great too, he makes up his own rythmn other than just blending the riffs. Jaska, the drummer is fantastic, his blast beats are tight and his overall playing is exciting. The rythmn guitarist, Alexander is also very good. Their keyboardist, Janne is amazing. He produces sounds that aren't cheesy, but fit the atmosphere of the music perfectly. Every song contains a very good solo, or with the help of keyboards. The highlights of the album are Black Widow, Silent Night, Bodom Night, Children of Bodom, and Downfall. Musicmanship is such a level of quality you won't believe your ears. My favorite song, Downfall contains the most entertaining guitar intro I've heard in a while. The song also contains the best of all the band has to offer. Overall, this band blew me away on the overall sound. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals have never been a strenght of COB. They have relied more on their instruments. Alexi uses black metal vocals through the entire album. The songs are most about death and the Lake Bodom murders. The lyrics aren't really good nor are they really bad, they're just acceptable. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to most modern metal these days, this is mostly a breath of fresh air. COB have outdone themselves once again, this album may not have the the melody of Follow The Reaper, or the cheesy sound of Hatecrew Deathroll, but this ablum is my personal favorite. I just love the fresh music, the finese of the instruments. I don't like the fact they only contain lyrics to four of the songs on the CD. But the music itself makes up for it. Overall if you like metal in general, considering COB combine a lot of metal in their music. You will thorougly enjoy this cd. But I suggest you start of with Hatecrew Deathroll if you want to get into COB. // 9

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: shadows666, on september 26, 2005

Sound: Children Of Bodom have managed to do it once again. Hatebreeder is one of their more heavier albums and the sound on it is excellent. The music is pure genius in the fact that a metal band can make the keyboard sound cool as f--k! The songs on the album are some of the best songs written by the band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics fit surprisingly well with the music and Alexi's vocals fit perfectly on every track. Tracks like "Warheart" and "Bed Of Razors" are pure poetry. Their lyrcis are deep on this album and I think that a band needs to have some meaningful lyrics on an album everynow and then. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far one of their better albums in terms of heaviness and melody. Alexi and Janne flow so well together that it sounds like it's 2 guitars rather than just one with a keyboard. The best songs would be "Warheart," "Bed Of Razors" and "Children Of Bodom." Also "Silent Night, Bodom Night" is great for listening for sweep picking. If it were lost I would go and buy it again in a heartbeat. If it were stolen, I would find the person and beat the shit outta them and crap on their face! // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: The Fiddler, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Production was splendid and the sound of the album easily surpasses that of "Something Wild." The originality however does not the album sounds very much like the previous and if someone told me that it was double album for the first one, I'd believe them. The the keyboard integration is more evident however and adds a degree of freshness that is absent from most other areas. Songs like "Downfall" and "Bed Of Razors" are good examples of more proficient an dmusical use of the keyboards. // 8

Lyrics: Hard to make out which is good I guess since the lyrics are extremely simple in nature and deal with much the same themes as the previous album. The band is not noted for it's lyrics, but rather the low growl vocal technique along with amazing guitar technique, so its easy to forgive them for a simplistic lyrical structure. // 7

Overall Impression: Although I was not 100% amazed by the sound or lyrics compared with the first album, I can't help but love the album for it's overall quality especially if it is not compared to "Something Wild." "Bed Of Razors" and "Black Widow" are impressive tracks that stood out. // 9

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: acerockcola, on may 30, 2006

Sound: This is Children Of Bodom second CD, in which they were allowed to really use all of their creativity. The use of blazing guitar licks and solos combined with keyboard make for an amazing album. This album was also created after the lead singer/guitarist tried to kill himself with 30 tranquilizers and booze. His survival and remaining depression gave this album the darkest and most progressive feel in metal recently. The album is also obviously classically inspired. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on some songs are substandard, while on songs like warheart they compel me to shout along and vent my rage. The vocals are great if you like black or death metal, but if you don't (I didn't before I listened to this album) they are bearable, and the musicianship makes up for it. Even if you dont like the singing, there's no doubting the compliance of the screaming vocals with the fast past double bass drumming, and thrashing leads. // 7

Overall Impression: This is the best album from Children Of Bodom, most songs are classically inspired, and the most notable are Downfall, Silent Night Bodom Night, Warheart, Towards Dead End and Hatebreeder. I recommend this for anyone, even if they don't typically listen to metal. They can still appreciate the skill and amazing technical ability of Alexi Laiho on guitar and Janne Warmen on keyboard. // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 15, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is abosulutely pure genious. The guitars on this album blew me away Alexi Laiho is an amazing guitarist and he should be a legend honestly. The drums on this album are superb because of the way the drummer plays them especially in the song Downfall where hes banging the crap out of the bass drum it rules. The bass on this album is intense especially that crazy intro to Warheart. How do they do this it's absolutely amazing! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics I thought were actually pretty good. Alexi Laiho is a really, really talented screamer and he plays lead guitar while he's doing now that's amazing. I really love it when the band like chants some words on this album in some songs, the war cries and those little speeches they make. // 10

Overall Impression: This album cannot compare to any other artists because I personally thin that COB have their heavy/death/black metal sound. I don't have a favourite song on this album they all kick complete ass and the solos on this album are amazing and they have a solo in every song. I love everything about this masterpiece album and I hate nothing about it. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again. I would recommend this album to any fan of death metal, any guitarist, any bassist, any drummer and most of all a keyboardist. // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: sleepwalker16, on january 16, 2008

Sound: The album is musically mindblowing from start to finish. Very innovative, melodic like hell, even though not very heavy. If you want to describe it's sound in one sentence, it's classical music meets extreme metal. If you listen to the riffs and keyboards, you can clearly hear classical influence (and straightforward classical riffing and keys). The skill level of the band is amazing. Alexi Laiho does amazing leads, the best he ever did I'd say, his solos are also very impressive very much inspired by classical music. Rhythm guitarist Alexander Kuoppala manages to his job very well, even though on this album it sure isn't easy. Janne Warman, handling the keyboards makes them not just a "nice addition" but an important element of the album's sound and atmosphere, notable examples: Downfall, Bed of Razors, Children of Bodom, Silent Night, Bodom Night. Drumming is done by Jaska W. Raatikainen, and in one word is great, just listen to his blastbeats and ability to create drum parts that mix very well with the albums guitars and keys. Finally, there's bassist Henkka T. Blacksmith, his bass parts are heard throughout the album, and his style is kind of different from most metal bassists, in a good way. I don't think that you'll ever be bored while listening to this album, it just picks you up and takes you with it to the end, never easing up on the phase and atmosphere, there is not one boring song, or one bad solo. Especially impressing are the keyboard+guitar solos, as the band manages to blend the two very well just listen to the Silent Night, Bodom Night solo and you'll get what I mean. Overall, I'm very satisfied. // 10

Lyrics: Well, lyrics are not good or bad on this album, they are preety generic. War, anger, hate, despair, and in the case of Bed of Razors romance. The two best songs in the lyrical aspect of this album are Bed of Razors and Towards Dead End. Alexi's rather black metal vocals take time getting used to, at start hard to comprehend, but you get used to it after a few listens. Lyrics make their best immpression in Bed of Razors, really going well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is rather unique, there are not much albums like this one, I can barely count 2 that have a similar sound, but they don't manage to reach this one's level anyway. The most impressive songs on the album are Hatebreeder, Downfall, Silent Night, Bodom Night, Towards Dead End, and Children of Bodom. They only thing that I hate about it is that not all the lyrics are published in the booklet, heh. Were it stolen I'd at first try to find the bastard, and kill him for taking one of my most precious possesions in music, but if I couldn't find him I'd fo course buy it again. After all, this album means very much to me. Thanks to it and Nightwish's Oceanborn I picked up the guitar. // 10

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: FlightofIcarus, on february 26, 2010

Sound: Children of Bodom's "Hatebreeder" is the bands second album, and often cited as a fan favorite. This album takes the sound of their previous (and debut) offering, "Something Wild", and turns the heat up a notch. Maybe not so much in the sense that it sounds more brutal, but more so in creating absolutely ace musical compositions, that are quite memorable, and flow so well. The band mixes influences from speed, thrash, death, and black metal, yet it's still fairly difficult to just throw them into one category. There are lots of fast, aggressive riffs, drumming, and shredding guitar solos like a lot of metal bands, but the band manages to seamlessly blend a more aggressive, modern metal style, with a more melodic, old school metal feel. There is also a heavy neoclassical influence on this album. The music can be fairly intricate and technical at times, but is simultaneously just as catchy. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics here are classic Children of Bodom content. The lyrics make use of dark imagery and metaphors that fit the mood of the music perfectly. The songs deal w/various subjects, such as Murder, suicide, apathy, the Lake Bodom murders the band got their name from, and even love & pain (Bed of Razors). While some songs showcase the more profane lyrical style Alexi would use later on (Towards Dead End), some of the songs, like Bed of Razors, seem to showcase a different side of the band here (Come to think of it, they really haven't released anything like that song since). Alexi makes use of a harsh, black metal/melodic-death metal vocal style. It blends perfectly with the aggressive nature of the music, although the lyrics can be difficult to make out at times (this has more to do w/the production of the album than the vocal style I think). If you're not into cookie-monster vocals, then this still might not be for you, but if you're open to them, or like them like me, then the vocals deliver well here. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is simply an amazing album, and in my opinion, one of the greatest metal albums ever made (It's definitely in my top 3). Silent Night, Bodom Night, Bed of Razors, and Downfall are just simply beyond epic (Although the entire album is great from beginning to end). It really doesn't get much better than this. The ONLY thing that bothers me at times, is that sometimes I feel the album could use a bit more "crisp" production, to make the vocals stand out a bit better, but at the same time, it adds some character to the overall sound. This is timeless metal that will always be a part of my album collection! // 9

Hatebreeder Reviewed by: Jenul, on may 04, 2010

Sound: Compared to the first album Something Wild, Hatebreeder focus a lot more on melody and technique, as well as speed. You can hear the bass much better, which also makes the album sound a lot heavier than the previous. I think this album is a lot more technical and faster than Something Wild, which was a lot more agressive and primitive. This was also the album where Children of Bodom really defined their sound by mixing speed and technicality with melody. In this album the neoclassical influences also becomes more obvious. A part of the song "Black Widow" uses a part of Mozarts "Klaverkoncert #20 I'm D Mol", while the bridge in the title track "Hatebreeder" uses a series of arpeggios from Mozarts Queen Of The Night Aria from "The Magic Flute". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are nothing deep, just the ordinary death metal lyrics. You know, the "I'm a cold-blooded killer, who'll f*ck you up!" stuff. The lyrics still fits the music really well though and the lyrics were at least a step up from Something Wild. While Alexi Laiho isn't the best vocalist out there, his vocals just fits Children of Bodom so well, I can't really explain why, but they just fit. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is a must-buy for any Melodic Death Metal fan, or just Metal fan in general. This album is really impressive, and I found myself very entertained, and I still listen to it very often. The most impressive songs on there was "Warheart", "Silent Night Bodom Night" and "Downfall". I love this album, it's all up there in your face and you feel very entertained by this record. I love the fact that this takes the core aspects of the melodeath genre and adds it's own feel to the music, which brings something unique to the music. I don't really dislike anything about this record. If it got stolen, I would run down to the store and grab it again, it's an awesome record, it's a must-have. // 10

More Children Of Bodom reviews rating latest review