Something Wild Review

children of bodom: Something Wild
Released: April 28, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
Considering the lack of filler material, Something Wild still contains more than its share of impressive metal.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
Something Wild Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: The sound on this record, recording wise, is excellent. Every instrument and vocal was captured purfectly. As far as the band, incredible. Alexi is a guitar virtuoso, it's incredible, all that shit he comes up with. you don't see skills like that from those emo-fags good charlotte or simple plan. Jaska, their drummer is incredible as well. With all of the tempo changes and what not, he stays in perfectly. Also, insted of hearing the same old beat over and over, he throws in all kinds of fills to impress the masses. Don't forget the rhythm end - Jenka and Alexander hold it down, without them, the sound would fall out! And of course, Janne produces very creative, amazing and diffrent keyboard affects that fit so beutiffuly with the songs. Sound gets a 5, hands down. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the album are mostly based around the Lake Bodom Murders, which also happens to be what the name of the band refers to. Even if someone dosen't think to much of the lyrics, you have to recognize how Alexi's scream-style vocals fit so perfectly with the music. I can't imagine any other style fitting with the music as well as this. Lyrics get 5! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I trully believe this album is a masterpiece. I was driving and listened to the whole album and almost stopped to cry because I thought it was the most kick-ass album I'd ever heard. I was right to! Alexi is definately a hero of mine, and my favorite guitar player. like Zakk Wylde, it pisses me of that players as talented as Alexi get little credit where people like that Ashley Simpson bitch sell millions of records and hog the spotlight. Not just Alexi. I think all of children of bodom deserve the credit for putting together the best 30 some minutes of music I have ever heard. If it were lost, id stop what is was doing and run out to find it because I can't live without this cd. If it were stolen, I hunt down the bastard who took it and beat his ass, then take it back. Naturally, it gets a 5. // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: The^Unforgiven, on july 06, 2004

Sound: First of all I have to say I think it's sad that no one has reviewed this album, since it kicks ass! But I don't know mayde it's a bit rare n' unknown outside Finland? But anyway, back to the review. I think that COB's debyte is their most "Heaviest" album beside "Hate Crew Deathroll". It has less melodical elements than any of COB's albums and yes, you can tell by listening to it that it's their first album. But it's not a bad thing really, only that the sound quality is a little "flat". The music, as I said is pure heavy/death metal. I think this album features more guitars and less of those synths that are typical to the band. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are mean! On the album Alexi Laiho sings about things like Hate and Death and Pain and other things typical to Death Metal. I like most lyrics on "Touch like angel of Death", they're cool. The lyrics are different compared to other Bodom albums (as is the whole record), but I really can't say are they for better or for worse -maybe a little both ways? I also noticed how different Alexi's voice sounds. Maybe it's just the sound quality of the whole album, but since Alexi is younger on this album, his voice is thinner, I think. // 8

Overall Impression: Comapring to other Bodom albums, there are both bad and good differences. It's like I like both kind of Bodom,but depending on my mood I choose wich kind I listen to. Good things are the Heavines and the a little odd but still kewl guitar riffs, and also that the album does not have so much synths. On the other hand bad things are the sound quality, that strange "amateur" sound, and that the album doesn't have enough of Guitar Solos, not that kind wich make Alexi Laiho the Idol in my eyes wich he is. Overall this album is far from perfect but very much over average. So? Go buy it if you want some true Death Metal! Rock on! // 8

Something Wild Reviewed by: newpurgatory, on july 13, 2006

Sound: I think this album has some of the most memorable riffs and solos of all their albums. the riffs are fast and in many parts very technical proving that Alexi can thrash with the best of them. It has a very heavy feel and in some parts some awkward timing such as in "Deadnight Warrior", but this only adds to their originality and will make you love them even more. The solos are full of sweeps and whammy dives, and the the keyboard deffinately has some awesome parts as well. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are deffinately metal. my all time favorite part on this CD is when Alexi screams "F--k yourself and Die!" Alexis voice is different on this album, in that he deffinately growls more than he screams or anything else. I for one, love the growling way more than his higher pitched singing and he deffinately pulls his vocal parts off very nicely. In no time youll be growling along to "Lake Bodom" because it is so catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: Bodom Deffinately have lots of talent and I think most of it comes out in this album. I love the sick guitar parts as well as the awesome keyboard riffs. I really don't think this album could've been much better. Some awesome songs to check out are "Lake Bodom", "Touch Like An Angel of Death", "The Nail", and deffinately "Red Light In My Eyes Part 1" if your into the whole thrash, death, melodic metal scene than Bodom is your band. // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: Robot-Ninja, on november 27, 2008

Sound: 01.Deadnight Warrior: to set the mood for the entire album, they've included an eerie audio of a maniac laughing after a few explosions. Then some insane drumming with some thrashy chord progressions, but they've got this feedback whenever they slide up the guitar strings. But they make up for sloppy rhythms with an absolutely clean, fast solo. The rest of the song is just more chord progressions. The solo wasn't that technical or fast, but it was still musical. 02.In The Shadows: a rarity from Henkka, this song starts with some solo bass work, which is really deep, and you can barely tell the rhythm, but it sounds cool. This was one of their more musical songs, with a lot of music fill. My favorite part of this song, which is normally the same throughout every one of these songs, was when they went into triplet-breaks. Janne is very prominent in this song. Though, the main riff of this song is way too overused in my opinion. 03.Red Light In My Eyes, Pt. 1: this song definitely has a strong classical influence. The entire song, even the rhythm section, is just a whole bunch of amazing speed and technicality. Definitely one of the stand-outs. 04.Red Light In My Eyes, Pt. 2: don't be fooled. Though this is part two, this song sounds almost completely different from part one. It starts off with some arpeggios and this blasting rhythm that makes you want to headbang like crap. Though the entire song itself isn't all too technical, in fact I would grade this one to be the least of them all, it's still a stand-out because of all the different riffs that they placed together perfectly. My favorite part, though, was at the end with the chromatic upward scale solo at the end. It blows my mind. 05.Lake Bodom: a concert favorite! For good reason, too, it has the most epic intro to any song I've heard thus far. It has the perfect balance between aggressive rhythmic lines and melodic lines throughout the entire song, and a couple of key changes that make me smile! Alexi does some great solo work, which he has completely changed for live performances unfortunately, but Janne does his first, and only, solo of the album, and by God, it is the balls. 06.The Nail: my personal favorite song of the entire album. It starts off with an audio. "Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength." Though it has the sloppiest thrash chord progression in the entire album, they make up for it with non-stop harmonizing, technicality, musicality, and overall brutality. It has a triplet-break that makes me smile and feel triumphant and want to get in a fight- and win - every time I hear it. They perfectly fit together each part of the song, and it ends with the highest-quality non-stop arpeggio solo that anyone has to offer. Then it ends with a D minor arpeggio in the shape of an A minor, and with no other instruments playing, it shapes up to be the perfect, most satisfying way to end the song. 07.Touch Like Angel of Death: this song really sums the album up. They follow up a song of pure shred with pure melody, and they pull it off really well. This one, I believe, stands out the most out of all the other songs. // 9

Lyrics: Alexi's overall singing is definitely the best out of all the albums, by far. My friends tell me that there are some songs where he sounds like shit, but I completely disagree. If only present-day Alexi could still sing like this. Lyrics, however, are a different story. It's difficult to grade the lyric composition when Alexi only has lyrics written for one song. Although, Touch Like Angel of Death has a very deep meaning to it that I approve of. Bestial rage. // 10

Overall Impression: This album completely stands out from all other albums, considering that every album has a slightly different style to it, but this one favors over all others to me, except for Follow the Reaper, which comes closely in second. This album is what inspired me to work harder at guitar, and was the largest influence on my playing style. I would say the two most outstanding songs are Lake Bodom and The Nail, both for their sheer technicality, melody, musicality, and brutality. However, I would be glad if they cleaned up their playing a little bit, and I HATE most of Jaska's blast-beats. I'm glad to say, however, that this album is definitely worth buying more than once if you lost it. // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: shadows666, on october 22, 2005

Sound: This is COB's first album and I must say that it kicks some serious ass! The sound is raw and aggressive and has that kick-you-in-the-face feel to it that leaves you wanting more! The music is hard, but has great melody and harmonies to accompany it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are my favorite off of any COB album! The song Lake Bodom is some of the best shit I've ever read and listened to. Alexi actually has a sort of melody to hid growl on this album, more so than on any other albums they've put out. His lyrics go great with the music on this album and you'll wish that there were more than 7 tracks because it goes by so fast. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far their most aggressive album to date. Alexi comes up with some insane sweep-picking licks and his classical influences really shine on this album. Some of the more noteworthy songs on this album are: "Deadnight Warrior," "Lake Bodom" and "Touch Like Angel Of Death." Also, they re-released this album with 2 bonus tracks and a couple of cool features for your computer. The 2 tracks are Slayer's "Silent Scream" and the Scorpions' "Don't Stop At The Top." The only thing I could find wrong with this album is that it was over so fast! This is by far one of my favorite metal albums ever. If it were lost I would go and buy it again and if it were stolen, I would find the SOB who took it and beat the shit out of 'em until they cried like a little girl. // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on july 11, 2006

Sound: This is a totally killer album. It's a completely fresh sound right out of Finland. It's extremely heavy, with an awesome mix of neo-classical melodies and solos. Never before has a band made me this excited since I got into metal. I was lucky to obtain the deluxe version of this album, which has 2 bonus songs and makes the album that much more amazing to listen to. Songs like "Red Light In My Eyes" (parts 1 and 2) are like black metal/thrash-style classical variations. A lot of bands or guitarists get frowned upon for sounding like others-especially in the neo-classical domain, but Bodom is completely original. Innovation is at an all-time high interms of music on this album. So if you love heavy music, and crazy technique as well (such as neo-classical shred), then you'll love this album. The keyboards also give it one of the greatest sounds of all, not just because of the solos, but in the accompanients as well. All in all, Children Of Bodom is one of the few bands out there that has every member doing their thing extremely well. // 10

Lyrics: Alexi Laiho struck me as a horrible vocalist at first (before I got into black/death metal etc). However, with time, I realized that there could be no other style of vocals in this band that would work, mostly because Alexi's also the lead guitar player in the band! His lyrics are very chilling and he does some awesome screams here and there. His song-writing and arranging skills are extremely well developed, as are his lyrical composing talents. Alexi is one of the few individuals out there that knows exactly what he's doing through and through, and "Something Wild" showcases it very well. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is completely awesome: no filler what-so-ever. Children Of Bodom is my favourite band of all time, and this isn't even my favourite album by them! Every single song is mind-blowing on this album, it's just so full-sounding. However, my personal favourites are "Lake Bodom" (of course), "Red Light In My Eyes" (parts 1 and 2) and the epic "Touch Like The Angel Of Death". Plus, with the deluxe version, Bodom pulled out a couple of insane cover songs: "Silent Scream" (by Slayer) and "Don't Stop At The Top" (by The Scorpions). And they're really well-performed. One problem that most people have with this album is the length: it's about 32 minutes long without the bonus tracks, but the deluxe version helps that a lot. However, even so, you can't deny that this album is a gem and a half. If someone stole this album, I'd shine a red light in their eyes, and drown them in lake Bodom! // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: sleepwalker16, on january 21, 2008

Sound: Something Wild would probably be the hardest CoB album to get into; The album features an amazingly wide array of styles, experimentation, complex song structures, not to say that the sound of this album isn't amazing because of that, the sound is very innovative, compelling, and fresh. The riffs, solos are very much classical inspired, there's lots of keyboard usage, there are keyboard solos, all of these aspects are very melodic and very well done, especially the Lake Bodom riff and the Red Light In My Eyes Pt.II keyboard solo. The drumming on this album is good, creative and kinda Black-Metallish, which fits the sound well, because this album has some Black Metal elements, and that is probably the reason people kept labeling CoB Black Metal. The bass and rhythm are also nicely done, and if they weren't well done the whole album would fail, as in this album they are vital to the irregular time changes, and very fast tempo. Overall, the sound is very immpressive, fresh, and it never gets boring. // 10

Lyrics: First of all, themes, hate, anger, the lake bodom murders, simply murder, there's also despair and suicide. Alexi's Black Metal shriek is ever prevalent here, and it's the only kind of vocal style that would fit the sound of this album, I can't imagine it with clean vocals or deep growling, haha. The only official lyrics released are for Touch Like Angel Of Death, and they are preety good, although lame at times. I can't really tell you how good are the other lyrics since they were not officially released, but judging by TLAOD, they should be good. Overall, with Alexi's great (even though hard to comprehend) vocals and screams, and the good (not great) lyrics, this aspect gets an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: I was very immpressed with this album, there is absolutely nothing that can compare to its sound; the album is a very fresh breeze fo wind in the extreme metal land. And to think that a bunch of teenagers done that? It raises your hopes that you can do the same, heh. All of the members of hte band were in their teenage years, except Kuoppala who was around 20 I think. The best tracks would be Lake Bodom, Red Light in My Eyes Pt.II, and Touch Like Angel Of Death. I love everything in this album, beside the fact tha it's hard to get into at start and little published lyrics that make it hard or immpossible to cover a song from it with your band or something of that kind. // 10

Something Wild Reviewed by: kenan6346, on august 18, 2008

Sound: This is the most recent album of COB that I've heard, and compared to newer records, especially AYDY, this album definitely has a much more neo-classical influenced sound: a number of tracks cover directly from classical pieces; for example, the intro from Red Light In My Eyes Pt. 1 is J.S. Bach's Invention 13. The album is full of melodic interludes and bridges that show off Alexi's amazing guitar skills, along with the superior ability of Janne Warman on keyboards. The album also showcases the drumming ability of Jaska Raatikainen. This album is different to any other COB record because the composition in this album is much more "free-flowing" than the others (for example, individual songs from FTR follow their own pattern and are honestly quite predicable, whereas songs on this album are much more progressive and can't be as easily forseeable). // 9

Lyrics: Where to start with this? Well, Alexi's vocals do not modulate too much on this album; it is basically the same growly, throaty and fiendish vocals for the entire album, I like it, nice and simple. If you go on youtube and look for 'interpretations' for songs on this album, you will have a blast: the lyrics on this album are almost completely incomprehensible. And looking at the lyrics on various websites, they are quite different, following more of a story than a song. If you haven't listened to the songs before, you won't know how they fit in because there is a very complex rhythmic pattern associated with them. Overall, the lyrics definitely lend themselves very well to the music, but Alexi's writing ability on this album is not quite as mature as on later albums (which is completely understandable) and I'd say the lyrical content is average at best. However, as mentioned before, the lyrics lend themselves very appropriately to the subject matter of the music. // 7

Overall Impression: I know it seems kinda weird that I gave sound 9, lyrics 7 and overall impression 10, but when the instruments and the voice combine, this album becomes something different to listening to them separately. I really like this album, it is one of the few albums that I constantly listen too without getting bored. If I listened to this album and another of COB's albums and was told that they were by different artists, I would probably believe that: everything is completely different to COB's other works. I would certainly buy this album again (or download it, w/e). It's a really tough choice, but I'd say that my favourite songs from the album are Deadnight Warrior, In The Shadows and Lake Bodom. But really, the first 5 tracks are to die for, and I haven't properly listened to the last two to have professional opinion on them. // 10

More Children Of Bodom reviews rating latest review