No Gods, No Managers Review

choking victim: No Gods, No Managers
Release Date: Mar 30, 1999
Label: Hellcat
Genres: Ska-Punk, Third Wave Ska Revival
Not only do these guys preach the anti-sobriety/anti-religious message, but there's also a serious anti-life/anti-nationalistic theme going on with the band.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.6
 9.9
 9.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
No Gods, No Managers Reviewed by: sppunk1991, on october 18, 2005

Sound: The bands sound is very different from everything but other crack rock era bands. Choking Victim broke up after one day recording, but what they got was enough for this CD. Bands Indk and Leftover Crack were formed almost immediately after by the members, and later morning glory, no cash, american distress, and the crs7 (basically Leftover Crack and then some) were formed. This CD is mostly skacore and punk, but some death metal is thrown in on a couple tracks. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are some of the best youll find. Songs about shoplifting, suicide, politics, brokeness, and religion. Lyrics fit the style I suppose and stza has a really unique voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my 2nd favorite of any crack rock era band. 1st being Squattas Paradise EP, by Choking Victim. I would say every song on this album is great. I can't choose any one over the other. I love the Stza's voice. If there is anything I hate about them it's the fact that they broke up. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again. // 10

No Gods, No Managers Reviewed by: rinio, on june 13, 2006

Sound: Choking Victim. Arguably the most influential punk/ska band in recent years. No Gods, No Managers will not disappoint. This CD shows all their sides, from pop-ska/punk right to almost metal-esque crust punk. Really a masterpeice of the genre. They bring their own unique style to the table in every song. For a CD that was recorded in one day the sound is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are highly provacative (as typical of punk/hardcore), and may offend, but that is what makes it so great. They really put the world in perspective from the perspective of a squatter punk. Overall, some would argue that Stza is not the greatest of singers, because his voice is funny or too raspy, but that's what makes it so interesting. // 9

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album of all time. It really epitomizes the genre of post 3rd wave. Special mention should be given to the song 500 channels, Crack Rock Steady, and Five Finger Discount. I love the uniqueness, and blend of ska and hardcore on this album. I hate that it's $25 at HMV. It's funny, if it were stolen or lost I think I would have steal it again (that's funny because on the guidline is asks, "If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else). Overall and amazing album. // 10

Comments