Euphoria Morning Review

chris cornell: Euphoria Morning
Released: Sep 21, 1999
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge, Post-Grunge, Neo-Psychedelia
It's a mature album without being overly somber. It could be argued that it sounds a little too mature and possibly a little self-conscious, but that just emphasizes the real craft behind Euphoria Morning.
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
Euphoria Morning Reviewed by: spoonman017, on december 23, 2004

Sound: I was shocked by the first listen to this album. About 98% of Euphoria Morning is acoustic guitar. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me, and now it's very soothing. In certain spots in the album, definite Soundgarden-esque tones were unearthed. In "Can't Change Me", the intro sounds alot like Soundgarden's "Half". Most of the music on the album was written by Cornell himself with an exception of a few tracks which were cowritten, but they all have a great quality to them. I'm not into alot of acoustic music, but Cornell puts out a great effort with his solo album. There are a few spots in the album that I do no like, such as in "Disappearing One", I don't really like the clarinet, but the song itself is great. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Cornell's signature is his classic voice. For Soundgarden/Audioslave fans who want to hear him scream his brains out, Euphoria Morning barely contains any of that. Most of his vocals are mellow and flow through the acoustic guitar beautifully, but there are a few appearances of his trademark yell ("Steel Rain"). Now, the lyrics, the lyrics, like the music were mostly written by Chris Cornell, but he had a few helpers every now and then. No matter the situation, all of the songs are wonderfully written. There is plenty of lyrical content in each song, so you will never feel let down. The lyrics are even better than any other SoundGarden or Audioslave album. However, the lyrics are alot more uplifting than the others if that's your forte'. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definitely a masterpiece. I keep it in my stereo, and I also created a copy for my car too. I know this sounds cliche', but if this album was stolen, or misplaced, I would of course, buy another copy. The highlight tracks on the album are "Pillow of Your Bones", "Steel Rain", "Mission" and "Flutter Girl". My personal favorite track is "Sweet Euphoria". It's just Chris playing his guitar singing the good stuff. This album is not for everyone. Many SoundGarden fans will be let down by this album if they are expecting loud, fast tracks. I listen to this album all the time; it never seems to get old. I don't really hate anything about Euphoria Morning, but I love how there is genre-fusions scattered throughout. So if you are an open-minded listener who enjoys good music, buy this album if you can find it. Keep in mind that I tried to score this with an unbiased opinion, unlike many fanboys out there who give 5's to everything on a mediocre album. // 10

Euphoria Morning Reviewed by: Violet Addler, on march 19, 2008

Sound: Obviously breaking away from his Soundgarden image, Chris Cornell displays a sensitive, pained side with Euphoria Morning. Full of darkness and desperation, Euphoria Morning is an album showing Chris Cornell's true versatility. "Wave Goodbye" is a tribute to Chris's friend, the late Jeff Buckley, and is delivered with an unmistakable funk feel, and "When I'm Down" is a huge change from his Soundgarden work, offering a smooth, R&B tone. The sound of this album is an incredible, independent one, with several types of experimentation in other genres involved. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album is nothing short of genius. Pillow Of Your Bones offers some truly cryptic, dark imagery, with lines like: "A waning hand on silver granite waves/will mend my broken limbs and bend my haze/in sleeping in the silence of your voice/I'm cradling the peril of my only choice" while the song delivers beautiful and creative guitar work. "Steel Rain" has a very broken-spirited feel to it, with lyrics like, "Before we start another day together/you and I and the million miles between us/I train my moods to bloom like flowers unfolding/instead of fluttering around/slowly drowning out in the steel rain" and is another great vocal accomplishment for Cornell, with his voice stretching out into amazing ranges. Not to mention the great guitar work by Alain Johannes. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression was that Cornell was going through some rough times emotionally, and this turned out to be true. In the time after the recording of the album, Cornell checked himself into rehab for abusing alcohol and oxycontin, and to deal with his depression. For me, the best songs on the album are all of them, because they each show a different feeling, a different take on certain things in everyday life, in relationships and reality. I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to hear something truly amazing, and it will forever remain one of my most favorited albums of all time. // 10

Euphoria Morning Reviewed by: jjhand, on february 09, 2009

Sound: The sounds recorded in this CD were amazing. Chris and Alain Johannes played excellent acoustic and electric parts with deep instrumental/vocal harmony. Several nice solos were also played by Johannes in 'Mission', 'Flutter Girl', and 'Steel Rain' that had many colorful notes but were kept short enough that they would not take away from the other riffs. The drumming was also very well done. Fellow Soundgarden member Matt Cameron played on 'Dissapearing One', but most the songs was played by Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle, Black Light Burns). His drumming solo in the outro of 'Follow my Way' was excellent. Greg Upchurch (Puddle of Mudd, 3 Doors Down) also played drums on one track and on the tour with Cornell. As for Bass (Ric Markmann) and Synthesizers (Natasha Schneider), their contributions added different dimensions to the sound scape in the songs as well. I saw his band (Johannes, Scheider, Upchurch and Markmann) play this on the road in '99 and they did an excellent job with this somewhat difficult material. // 10

Lyrics: Many people say Cornell's lyrics are deep and captivating, and I have to agree. In 'Moonchild', he sang "Come on moonchild, you're so far away tonight. The door is falling open and we're flying wild. Come on moon flower, You're so far away from now. You could bloom forever in the hour." The lyrics are not overly complex but they are very original and not repetitive like many mundane modern band singers. Cornell also likes to write melodies & lyrics that stray from the standard 4 beats per measure, which gives his melodies interesting rhythm and flow as well. Per measure. // 10

Overall Impression: I thought that Cornell was very inventive and took a modern approach to songwriting that bears similarities to artists such as the Beatles, Yes, and Pink Floyd among other more modern bands. Cornell did start writing songs of this caliber in Soundgarden's 'Down on the Upside', but they separated over issues of the band's future directions. When I heard 'Can't Change Me' on the radio, I was so happy to hear Cornell's work that I went and bought the CD right away. I loved Soundgarden's later work and Chris Cornell did not dissappoint me with his solo efforts. The album does span several different genres, such as: R&B, Rock, Acoustic/Folk, Experimental, and slight bits jazz/funk in the arrangements. I think this was a good formula, because he essentially created different experiences for each song that brought him a wider and diverse audience. If I lost it, I would buy it again, definitely! // 10

More Chris Cornell reviews rating latest review