Long Cold Winter Review

artist: cinderella date: 02/02/2012 category: compact discs
cinderella: Long Cold Winter
Released: May 21, 1988
Genre: Glam Metal, Blues Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Mercury (USA), Vertigo (Europe)
Long Cold Winter" welcomes back the return of the hard rock/glam metal group, Cinderella. "Long Cold Winter" brings back all the talent and tricks from their debut album, but this time they bring back something a little new.
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Long Cold Winter Reviewed by: CinderellaFan14, on february 02, 2012

Sound: "Long Cold Winter" welcomes back the return of the hard rock/glam metal group, Cinderella. The second album by a band can either make or break them, and with this album, Cinderella is made. "Long Cold Winter" brings back all the talent and tricks from their debut album, but this time they bring back something a little new. The album starts out perfectly with "Bad Seemstress Blues/Fallin' Apart At The Seems", which is one of my favorite songs of all time. It has one of the best intros to a hard rock song that I've ever heard, and then it kicks into perfect distorted guitar with Tom Keifer's magic words: "Let's Go Boys". Not only is this song one of my all time favorites, but it has to be the best song on this album. The album continues with it's hard rock sound with "Gypsy Road", which comes sliding to my second favorite song on this album. This song shows a small influence of blues-rock, which would dominate the band's third album. The perfection continues with the infamous rock ballad, "Don't Know What You Got 'till It's Gone". This song helped gain the band major attention by many listeners who hadn't heard of Cinderella yet, as well as help this album reach multi-platinum status. The blues-rock era of Cinderella grows nearer with the next track, "The Last Mile". This song sounds most like "Gypsy Road", and is one of my favorites of the album. The next track, "Second Wind", welcomes back the sound of "Once Around The Ride" off the band's debut album, and is an excellent song off this album. The title track of this album, "Long Cold Winter", shows the band crossing over to the Blues-Rock Zone. A slow tempoed rock song, it's actually a really great song, with great blues-rock riffs and Tom's perfected vocals. "If You Don't Like It" is another excellent song, and sounds like it just missed the track listing for the band's debut album. The song has a great beat, which makes it easy to just tap your foot to. "Coming Home" shows the band slightly moving into the blues-rock side of the music spectrum, but is one of the best songs off the album. Tom's vocal transitions help make this song great, as well as the haunting lyrics and wonderful guitar work. "Fire & Ice" is just another great song off the album, and has the sound of the album switch gears back to Cinderella's infamous hard rock mode. Catchy riffs and flawless vocal performances make this song as well as the entire album just excellent. The album ends perfectly with "Take Me Back", which sounds a lot like "Back Home Again" off the group's debut album. Both songs have another thing in common: they're perfect to end the album on. Another one of my favorites off the album, the song gets your foot tapping and leaves you on a happy mood as you end the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this album are flawless. There are no strange lyrics or lines off any of the songs that make you lean back and say, "What is that doing on a Cinderella album?". Tom Keifer's vocal performance on this album is just flawless. His ability to transition between his two sets of vocal chord ranges at times can send shivers down your spine. Once again, Tom and Cinderella perform excellently. // 10

Overall Impression: "Long Cold Winter" is the second studio album by Cinderella, and is one of my favorite albums of all time. The album is simply excellent to listen to from beginning to end, and even the track listings for this album are flawless. Tom Keifer's vocal performance cannot be rivaled by any other singer, and his talent is shown on every song of the album. Each and every song on this album is one of my all time favorites, but the most impressive songs of this album have to be: 1. Bad Seemstress Blues/Fallin' Apart At The Seems 2. Gypsy Road 3. Coming Home 4. Take Me Back 5. Don't Know What You Got ('Till It's Gone) I cannot bring myself to hate any single thing about this album, as it just flawless. The band hit the intellectual as well as the musical gold mine on this album. If this album were to be stolen, I would realize you Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone, would walk The Last Mile through a Long Cold Winter on the Gypsy Road, beat the thief up until he was Fallin' Apart At The Seems, take back the album, and then would start Coming Home. And if You Don't Like It, I don't care! "Long Cold Winter" is just another excellent album by one of the greatest hard rock bands of all time. Enough said. // 10

More Cinderella reviews rating latest review
+ Night Songs 9.5 01/20/2012