Sometimes Review

City And Colour: Sometimes
Release Date: Nov 1, 2005
Label: Universal
Genres: Rock
Main songwriter in Alexisonfire, Dallas Green, demonstrates his wide talent by producing an ear catching debut solo album.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.8
 9.2
Sometimes Reviewed by: ThereGoesMyHero, on november 14, 2005

Sound: This is Dallas Green's debut LP. For those of you who don't know, and there are probably many, Dallas is the guitarist for Alexisonfire, and provides the singing, not screaming, for them. This, however contains no traces of electric guitar, as it is an entirely acoustic record. The sound is often slow, with the occasional piano in the background, or a light drum beat that goes along well with the music. The sound is extremely good for being recorded in one of Dallas' friend's basement. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this record are amazing. They go great with the music rhythm-wise, and they most often sound like they belong with the music. The songs are often four to six minutes in length, and there is a lot of original verses in the songs, not just the typical "verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, repeat" formula you see in so much music these days by bands who try to make songs five minutes and longer. Anyone who listens to Alexisonfire knows that Dallas has an amazing voice. I had always wanted to hear a Dallas' solo record, because he has such a good voice. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I know I've sounded biased during this whole review, but here is where I get to air out the very few things I dislike about this album. Sometimes I feel it is a bit too quiet, and yearn for the throaty singing heard in Alexisonfire, and some of the great guitar work that he does on electric. And sometimes (not very often, though), I find myself wanting a song to get through so I can listen to another song after it, because I like the next song better, but the song I want to finish is about five minutes in length, and it takes a while to get to the next song. Anyways, that's about the only things I dislike about the album. My favourite tracks are "Save Your Scissors," "Comin' Home" and "Sometimes (I Wish)." If this were stolen/lost, I would most definitely buy it again, because it's truly amazing album. If you want something easy to listen to, or want an acoustic album to listen to, I suggest this record. // 9

Sometimes Reviewed by: poor_white_boy9, on december 03, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is nothing short of amazing. Dallas Green has possibly one of the best voices in modern music, yes possibly even better than Usher (I kid). The songs on the album however to tend to carry on and kind of seem repetative. It's wonderful however, to listen to Alexisonfires music and then to hear the softer side of it all and to finaly enjoy Dallas's voice without the noise. The guitar work is not the same old acoustic music with just chords (E, D, A, G) and so on, it has many of variations and keeps you interested, but as I said earlier it does tend to carry on a tad bit. // 7

Lyrics: Reading over the lyrics while listening to this album has the ability to make you tear. They go perfectly with the soft acoustic. Sometimes though I find myself just listening to Dallas mumbling the lyrics and cannot really understand what he is saying. As I said earlier, Dallas has an amazing voice and this album goes to proove just how amazing his songwriting and guitar skills really are. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare at all to the past material that Dallas has written. I cannot really choose favourite songs from the album, all the songs have an each special thing about them and if you wanted to download songs, I suggest just buying the album because it is completly worth it. One thing I kind of dislike about the album is that the songs kind of carry on and you find your self really liking a song but then wishing it would be over soon. If this album were stolen, I'd definetly buy it again since you always need something soft in your record collection and this album should definetly get the job done. // 8

Sometimes Reviewed by: Heavens_To_Hell, on may 11, 2007

Sound: Dallas's clear and clean vocals are perfectly matched to the music he's playing. A far cry from Alexisonfire's post-hardcore fuelled mayhem, although not so different as to alienate his fans. There's a slight similarity in some of the clever guitar work and lyrics that are also exhibited in AOF, but this isn't a rehash of AOF songs that never made the cut. He uses some very interesting tuning, like on "Save Your Scissors," which is (apparently, according to tabs) in EBDGCe. The only musical "sense" I can make from this tuning is that the raised 5th string creates a "drop" tuning and that the raised 2nd makes the gap between the 3rd and 2nd more "regular." But enough of the musical terminology, his use of interesting chords and tunings and melodies makes each song sound different while still retaining a flow through the whole album. He often uses capos, but not in a way that he's reusing the same 3 chords at different positions to make it "original." His vocal melodies and use of sparce electric guitars and pianos only heighten the music here, instead of trying to add over an unimaginative song. The music all seems to fit together, not seeming like the same old melody, it all seems to fit well. I will admit the music from AOF is more innovative and varied as there is really only so much you can do with an acoustic and a voice, but this is stil a very cleverly made album with much thought put into it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very clever, not overusing large words like some bands would to sound "clever." The rhythm and timing of all the lyrics makes them seem much more intelligent than they actually look on paper, and some make little sense ("For I am The Ocean..." anyone), but the lyrics fit perfectly and it never seems forced, like he's desperately seeking for words to connect they just work. A number of the songs are about the rigours of touring and the heart-break and lonliness of leaving a loved one, it never sounds repetitive. They way he phrases words that often don't rhyme doesn't ever seem pointless, and, yes another AOF comparison, they actually remind me of some of the early "one syllable a scream" AOF work where George Pettit would write words that don't rhyme on paper, but rhyme via his delivery. I particularly like the lyrics for "Day Old Hate" which where very clever and perfect for conveying the sad tone of the song perfectly. "Sometimes (I Wish)" has some very intelligent lyrics which cleverly relate the feeling of love and trust he needs to know is recipricated from the "subject". Overall I was impressed by the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Some of the most impressive songs on the album are "Save Your Scissors," "Comin' Home," "Day Old Hate," "In The Water, I am Beautiful," but every song is a winner (perhaps with the exception of "Sometimes (I Wish)" which begins to grate after a while as it starts to seem quite repetitive). I would be interested to see how the album would fair in a live situation, although you may purchase the "Live" album to try and get a taste of the experience. You'll want to come back to this album, and definately I would replace it if lost/broken/stolen/act of god. Dallas's side project actually stands up to his original band, unlike many side-projects. It also gives us a taste of his other various influence, and upon going back to listening to AOF you can see slight hints like "Oh that sounds like quite a "City And Colour" moment," and although you do see return similarities upon listening to AOF, you never get a feeling of copying or rehashing past ideas. In all this is a brilliant, dazzlingly stunning album that could prove to be a long and interesting side career that could, dare I say it, dwarf the success of AOF and continue for years to come. Watch this space. // 9

More City And Colour reviews rating latest review