CKY, Vol. 1 Review

cky: CKY, Vol. 1
Released: Jun 26, 2001
Genre: Rock
Style: Post-Grunge
Number Of Tracks: 9 This album has a totally unique sound that I think metal and rock fans would both enjoy.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: scottish_scotty, on april 15, 2004

Sound: CKY are a very unique band and they are highly unappreciated. Their sound is different from any other band, it's like a heavier version of rock but I wouldn't class it as metal. The riffs go very well with the accompning drums and guitar but dont sound as good when you play it by yourself on one guitar. The riffs are good but mostly not complicated, the hardest parts to play on this album are because of the speed and not the complexity. // 10

Lyrics: Deron is an average singer but his voice goes well with the sound of the band. A lot of the lyrics don't make any sense but it doesn't really matter because all the songs are good anyway. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a very good album and I would recommend it to anyone, unfortunately I don't know many other people who like CKY so it's all down to personal taste. The songs on the album are well arranged with one song complimenting perfectly the previous. This album is very different to "Infiltrate.Destroy.Rebuild" as the songs are all very different where as on I.D.R. the songs are more similar with the exception of "Close yet far". The difference in sound may be due to the new bassist Vern, who was not part of the band dureing the vol.1 album. Overall it is a very good album except for the huge gap on the last track for the hidden track "Halfway house". This album is equally good as their third album as neither of them could possibly be ny better. // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: †TheKnight†, on april 28, 2006

Sound: Picture yourself starting up a band, you want a unique sound but complex and at the same time well played! CKY is your band, theese guys made this album in the image of what rock needs to be to them. Every song sounds so unlike its predecessor! This album is a must if your looking for inspiration or even have a CD collection! There music goes to every occasion! Metal, fuzz, melodic and we even get eere riffs! // 10

Lyrics: Theese songs, just like every song, means somthing to the band a hell of alot more than it does to the audiance, I have no idea what they are singing about, however in the same boat, I understand what they are singing and what they are saying. So when they are writen on paper, you may not be able to decypeher what they are saying but it sure as hell sounds impressive. It all adds up to the unikeness of their style! The singer and lead guitarist Derron Miller has skill, Beyond good, but is excelent, he can make anything sound so impressive, that it becomes manditory to have him in the hall of guitar geneouses! He is a great singer, a great lyricist and a great guitarist, and he puts this all into every performance, and we get the sound also known as CKY! // 10

Overall Impression: Unlike moast albums I ever heard! That's it, it just doesnt compare! My favourite song cant even be said because I love each and every track on that album (and that hardly ever happens)! I love everything about it, the sound, the intervals, the drum fills, even down to the way Derron doubles up his voice to create that eere sound on 96 Quite Bitter Beings! And if it were stolen, I have no quarms of buying it again, just aslong as I get it, and the theif is having 1 hell of a time listening to it, but also I hope that that idiot gives it back, before I knock him sensless for taking one of my best (if not the best) albums I own! // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 24, 2004

Sound: This is a great album I've never heard anything like it. The riffs are very fast and technical(if youre playing them right). The guitar sound is amazing. Very original. People often ask me why I never get tired of cky and why I don't listen to any other bands much. The answer is, Cky are a diferent band! Every song sounds nothing like the other! It's like listening to a 9 track mix cd i made of 9 other bands. No other band can have that said for them!the musical innovations are very mixed. The band Death must have a huge influince on derons riffs. I'd also like to share that this album has 10 songs on 9 tracks. The last song is hidden. But it's not hard to find. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression of Deron's lyrics is very positive. He can really write some lyrics. Songs like "Disengage The Simmulator" and "To All Of You" have some of the most meaningful lyrics ever writen. They go great with the music. Deron's voice is very good. He has a very distinctive voice and he can sing very well. // 10

Overall Impression: I cant compare this to anything because this is Cky's first album. The most impressive songs on the album are "96 Quite Bitter Beings", "Disengage The Simmulator", "Lost In A Contraption", "Sara's Mask", and "To All Of You". I love everything about this album. The only thing I hate is the guitar sound! Why cant I get that sound? I would definitally by this album again if it were lost or stolen, this time I'd buy 2! It's definitally worth buying. // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2004

Sound: The guitar riffs are amazing and Jess's drums are crazy! The music is great quality and the songs are all so different. The music isn't heavy metal but it is harder rock. The hidden track is also amazing. Deron and Chad change between lead guitar, rythm guitar and bass to create an amazing bassy sound. // 10

Lyrics: Deron's voice is destinctive and really good. Chad's background vocals add a deeper end that goes really well with the music. The lyrics all make sense. They each have a hidden meaning that is easily understood to someone who listens closly and knows a little about the band. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the one cd, along with the other 2 cky cds that I can play over and over again without getting bored of. The songs are so catchy and the lryics are always in my head. I love how the band is so involved in making it sound great and making a good album. No matter how many times I lost this cd I would always buy it again. This cd is worth it, but download a song or two first because it might be different than what you think it will be like. And those cds that were purchased for someone who wont appritiate them could have gone to a die-hard fan. // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: elementos, on december 12, 2005

Sound: Cky's music and sound is so thick and powerful. Although they are somewhat underground, they really are a good listen. There is a story on that album. In fact, Volume 1 starts the story. Still haven't figured it out yet. The stupid CD player in the car ate the disk. On the CD, they really don't sound like they have a genre. Its a mixture of rock, experimental, and I say a bit of punk. // 10

Lyrics: The impressions of the lyrics aren't really that happy. Track 7 is a big turnoff of this album. The opening line is "I saw my daughter giving head to my brother." It's so wrong especially since I was listening to the CD with my mom in the room. But otherwise. The music fits the lyrics so perfectly, and with the guys voice it should be the most awesome band in rock history. His voice is so powerful and forceful sounding. Track 1 and 2 are extremely well done songs, with the very fast guitar in track 1 and the horrid sound of track 2. // 9

Overall Impression: This album compared to Ckys others is about 2 times better. Most impressive songs on the album are "96 Quite Bitter Beings," "Disengage The Simulator," "To All Of You" and "Rio Bravo." What I love about it is that its just so kick-ass that it gives you that rebellion-feeling. What do I hate, when I bought it there was a small crack on the case. But the CD player ate it so yes I will buy another one very soon. // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: starfrance, on june 21, 2008

Sound: The moment I heard 96 quite bitter beings, I just had to get this CD because I knew it wouldn't be a disappointment, and it wasn't. CKY has definitely got their unique sound well-put together that you can tell they put time and effort into this cd. The thing I like most about this CD is how it's sound is so raw compared to IDR and AACBF. What really caught my attention were Deron Miller's and Chad Ginsburg's guitar riffs and Jess Margera's drums. All of the songs sound different unlike how some band's songs all sound the same in one album. Basically the sound is eerie, unique, complex but melodic at the same time, and too awesome for anyone to ignore. If you like stuff like that, this CD is for you. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are somewhat vague, but on some songs such as 'To All of You', they can be pretty deep. I love Deron Miller's voice. He's pretty versatile that he can have that yelling thing going on like in the beginning of "The Human Drive in Hi-Fi', or have that deep growling sound like in 'Rio Bravo', and yet have that soft mesmerizing voice like on 'Sara's Mask'. There isn't anything explicit about the lyrics except maybe for the song 'My Promiscuous Daughter', which is also a great sounding song by the way. // 9

Overall Impression: CKY definitely is it's own entity. When you hear their music, you'll immediately know it's CKY. I love the whole album but my favorite songs have got to be '96 qbb', 'Disengage the simulator' and 'Sara's Mask'. I would definitely buy it again if it got lost or stolen. This is a CD I just can't live without. // 10

CKY, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2011

Sound: This album has a totally unique sound that I think metal and rock fans would both enjoy. I see them as a bridge between rock and metal but their sound being more unique that most rock or metal bands. Some say Groove Metal, Post-Grunge, Stoner Rock or Experimental, I just call it great hard rock music played by great hard rock musicians. I discovered these guys though the shopping cart skit on Jackass. I loved the song on the skit (96 Quite Bitter Beings), so I decided to look it up by typing 'Shopping carts jackass song' and I got CKY and I'm glad I found as I've gotten hours of enjoyment from listening to their music. // 10

Lyrics: "Some people don't know, don't know what is wrong so they're knee deep, knee deep in sorrow." Those are the entire set of lyrics of the song Knee Deep and I can't make head or tail of them. The lyrics look great on paper but I can't seem to understand them. Deron Miller reminds me of a new James Hetfield as his voice reminds me of Hetfield sometimes but nevertheless Miller is a great singer whose voice definitely suits the music and may spook you out sometime. // 8

Overall Impression: I honestly can't compare this band to anyone else. They're heavy yet they play with synths and vocal effects. The songs are great but the most impressive are 96 Quite Bitter Beings, Rio Bravo, Lost In A Contraption and Knee Deep. I love everything on this album. If you listen to it the first time you won't be able to predict what style the next song will be. I have to note Jess Margeras drumming skills. I'm a drummer and he's probably my biggest influence. I find him the be one of the most inventive drummers out there. He doesn't stick the the standard beats, he decides to put Miller and Ginsberg to shame by owning the songs with his drumming. // 10

More Cky reviews rating latest review
+ Carver City 8.8 05/21/2009