The Essential Clash Review

clash: The Essential Clash
Released: Mar 11, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: British Punk, Punk
Nevertheless, this does provide the best, most extensive and logical overview of the band yet assembled.
 8.4
 6.8
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
The Essential Clash Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2004

Sound: The Clash is probaly the best punk band ever and this cd proves it. This cd is a decication to Joe Strummer, 1952-2002. It was made while Joe and his band were making their third cd Streetcore. Now about the sound, it is remastered so you do have to worry about bad quality. First of all I have to mention how great Joe Strummer is. Joe, as most of you know, is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist. His voice was a hight light of the band. Some people might say that Tim Armstrong copyed his voice but if he really was he wasn't even close. Joe's voice is hard to explain. It's really punk at times and is very powerfull. Then theres Mick Jones. The greatest riff maker. Mick Jones was back up vocals and lead guitarist. His solos were amazing! The solos on Complete Control,Groovy Times,and ect where awesome. His voice was very pop like and not what you'd expect from a guy in a punk band. His voice is good though, Im not trying to down size his singing. Then theres Paul Simmon who plays bass and sang on some (The Gun's of Brixton, which he wrote). Paul didn't know how to play bass when he join The Clash so Mick Jones taught him. Paul did have some good bass lines like in The Gun's of Brixton,Lost in the Supermarket,and The Magnificent Seven. His voice sounds just like Joe Strummer's voice just more easy to understand. The Clash had two on and off drummers(Tory Crimes and Mickey "Topper" Headon)who sometimes weren't the greatest. Topper was my favorite of the two but he broke up The Clash with his drugs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics The Clash had were truely great. From talking about the working class to warfare to love, they ruled all writing styles. The lyrics went great with the guitar, bass, and even drums! Kind of odd but true. The Clash inspired many with their lyrics like Rage Against the Manchine, Rancid and U2. The singing was great like I mentioned early. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were a powerful force. // 10

Overall Impression: This is truly a great cd. It has just about all the great songs from The Clash(Uk and Us versions), Give Em' Enough Rope, London Calling, Sandinista!, Super Black Market Clash, Combat Rock and Cut The Crap. The best songs on the cd is the whole first cd and second cd except Stop the World(too weird and the vocals are almost in the background)and Ivan Meets G. I. Joe (I like it but the chorus is very annoying and the arcade in the background is not that good but I like the piano). My absolute favorites are London's Burning, Career Opportunities, Safe European Home, Groovy Times, Rudie Can't Fail, Lost in the Supermarket, Police on My Back, The Magnificent Seven, Train In Vain, Somebody Got Murdered, Straight To Hell and This Is England. If it were stolen I would buy another or two just in case. // 10

More Clash reviews rating latest review
+ London Calling 9.7 03/02/2012