Clor Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Clor Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: Clor are breaking the indie/pop market on a good foot, they bring an element of electro with infectious keyboards and guitar that fits in to build it up. The lyrics are witty, "I'm the bird that buzzed the bees and stole the honey," and the album feels complete and seems to hark back to Gary Numan-esque drum-beats and all round feel seen well in 'Dangerzone' which slows down the quick paced album, it's an album you have to dance to. The sounds of the two guitars (Gibson LP goldtop & Fender Jaguar respectably) aren't intrusive but you know they are their throughout. The keyboards and the '80s sounds aren't on their own at the moment, but this album is special amongst all of it's indie/pop rivalry this feels much more personal even through the drumming is faultless and the riffs lacking emotion. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics tell of Dobbins problems with love and pain. The voice is a perfect replica of what we knew of the '80s, and loved. The lyrics are pretty much what sum up Clor as a whole, they fit over the indie disco that assaults you and leaves you wanting more, each time you hear Dobbin's sing in his melodic following of the music he is complimented by a keyboard following his progression. // 10

Overall Impression: Think Prince meets Gary Numan or for a more modern comparison you need to look at the remixed singles of bloc party and the futureheads, think Banquets Phones edit and then think of it as an album, another example not straying from Bloc Party is the polysics Harajuku remix of Luno. I love the innocence of the lyrics, and the way they fit together with the music to create one of the best album so far this year. I hate the fact it is so damn short, and if it was lost I would indeed purchase another. // 10

Comments