First Temple Review

9.9
 9.9
 9.8
First Temple Reviewed by: lambofgodowns, on january 05, 2010

Sound: First Temple is the debut album from one of Australia's finest musical groups, Closure in Moscow, and certainly an incredible show of musicianship and songwriting ability. I didn't expect to like these guys as much as I do, but this album definitely grew on me quick. There is a huge amount of talent throughout the band. If you're a guitarist, you'll definitely appreciate a vast amount of this record. Some of the stuff that the guitarists do blew me me away the first time I listened, and still impress me. Manny and Barrett are a perfect guitar duo. Their drummer, Beau is technical at times and simple at others, but definitely fit the music. Even the bassist, Brad, is talented and impresses me sometimes. Their singer, Chris DeCinque soars above at points and is incredible at what he does. They wrote the material back home in Australia but recorded this album in their home in the US, Portland, Oregon. Their music is progressive rock, but maintains catchiness and doesn't confuse listeners. These guys just seem like they have a lot of fun doing what they do and create great music. They're also some of the funniest guys I've ever seen (in videos and such) and Manny, their guitarist, is possibly one of the coolest guys I've ever met. // 10

Lyrics: Their singer, Chris Decinque, has an incredible voice. Many times through this CD I was impressed at his ability to do basically anything. His range is very wide, going from deep lows to shimmering highs. He is also extremely intelligent and I've definitely learned a bunch of great words from reading their lyrics. Most of the songs are about love and sex, like most bands, but they're worded very well and you almost have to decipher certain passages to understand the full meaning of the song, but once you do, it dawns on you just how impressive the lyrics are. Manny also sings, and in this album does very high falsetto vocals, and they meld seamlessly with Chris' vocals. The patterns of the vocals and lyrics also amaze me sometimes. // 10

Overall Impression: Some have said they compare to The Mars Volta, which may be, but I don't see it. Another band that may compare to them is Envy on the Coast, but they're not nearly as technical or progressive, they just give off the same sound. This album is not too different from their EP, "The Penance and the Patience." TPATP has the same feel to it, but almost a bit more like pop-punk. I'd say every song off this CD is great, but great is an understatement. I feel in love with all the tracks, except one, "Permafrost." It's a 3 minute ambient song, and I just don't like that stuff usually. I love pretty much everything about it, I just hate that it's not longer, even though there's 12 songs. If someone stole this, I would fully torture that person to get it back. I love it so much. Definitely go get this album wherever you can find it and support this great band. // 10

First Temple Reviewed by: Zapfire, on may 07, 2009

Sound: Closure In Moscows debut album, First Temple, is an absolute masterpeice. The sound is different from their EP Tp&TP but still contains familiar elements within it. Their new sound involves a much more experimental side, often resembling that of "The Mars Volta". These guys recently moved over to the U.S. And began work on their album immediately. They hit the studio with 12 demos, and came out with 12 songs. The biggest plus about this album would be the guitar work which can go anywhere from quick loud soloing and riffs, to a lighter clean and intricate guitar line. I got this album the day before it came out by preorder, and have already spun it all the way through four or five times. This is one of the better albums I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: Chris de Cinque is not the average frontman. On the original demos of CiM he sung in a lower pitch. Then on TP&TP he starting singing in a much higher range. Now on this album he has combined both in an incredible way. He hits notes all over the place in both high and low ranges and makes the music stand out from the crowd while retaining the usual CiM level of cathciness. The Lyrics also stand out, retaining the same level of strangeness from the EP and remain just as catchy, if not more. There are a few moments where the lyrics seem not to fit with the music, or seem like they were sung differently to make them fit, but that is my only complaint in this category. // 9

Overall Impression: This album, again, is absolutely amazing, the songs go together extremely well. The most impressive songs would be Vanguard, Reindeer Age, A Night at the Splee, and Arecibo Message. What I love most about this album is the huge range of different songs which go anywhere from light to heavy. What I hate most about it is that is really only 10 songs, 2 being shortish interlude like peices that probably could have been left out, however they are still interesting to listen to. Basically, if this were stolen, I would do nothing because everyone should have this album. I'd most likely just get another one. First Temple is a masterpeice, and so far the best album of 2009. // 10

More Closure In Moscow reviews rating latest review