Hungry For The Blood Review

7.7
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Hungry For The Blood Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 21, 2008

Sound: Drawing from the crunchy rock gain of Aerosmith, powering their was through an EP that can only be criticised for it's brevity, and storming through some atypically raunchy modern rock 'n' roll, Club Le Shark's members form exactly that, a clubalthough you could be forgiven for mistaking them for a gang. Gang Le Shark? You bet, the gang vocals in Happy Hour confirm it. Hailing from a mixed bag of Portsmouth and Bournemouth in England, Club Le Shark delivers what is essentially a return to the days when rock 'n' roll wasn't some pseudo-intellectual indie scene. The riffs sound dangerous, the interplay between guitarists Sammy Fury and Le Rat proving catalytic to a potent EP, Happy Hour standing out in particular. Impressively for an unsigned band, Club Le Shark retains professionalism throughout the mix; despite assuring me in private that the members 'were all plastered for the whole recording experience'. Somehow, I suspect a certain level of embellishment regarding that comment. To briefly summarise the studio process, Club Le Shark used protocols, a PC, and an 8-track mixer at the studio. Perhaps inevitably, some of the readers will be questioning what a gritty hard rock band could offer in terms of melody. Impressively, this is melodic, and much of this is to do with the excellent recording, the presence of keyboards to harmonise the end product, and of course, the Steve Vai influence, considering that a Steve Vai (listen to the rip-roaring solo played on the track, Bad Girls) Gem Signature guitar was used in the studio. Paradoxically enough for this genre, Club Le Shark's music is redolent of an oil refinery: refined. // 8

Lyrics: In our correspondence, Lexx, vocalist of Club Le Shark, boldly claimed that the songs are 'generally all party tunes', before comically identifying Bad Girls as an exception to the rule. My eyebrows raised, I wondered what else Bad Girls could imply, aside from partying with a bunch of bad girls that is. The answer was less than suave, rest assured, and I'm not sure what he meant when he said that it was about 'a Russian stripper who shagged half the band': there are five members of Club Le Shark. Without aiming for sophistication, and a 'heroin of destruction', Club Le Shark can't complain about the criticism levelled at the less than endearing lyrics. Then again, perhaps that's the appeal about the Club, and as Lexx's gritty voice soars above the searing guitar interplay, thumping bass and cadence-drums, you can only find yourself joining in the game vocals. Lexx is truly a frothing, foaming-at-the-mouth front manget into it.In our correspondence, Lexx, vocalist of Club Le Shark, boldly claimed that the songs are 'generally all party tunes', before comically identifying Bad Girls as an exception to the rule. My eyebrows raised, I wondered what else Bad Girls could imply, aside from partying with a bunch of bad girls that is. The answer was less than suave, rest assured, and I'm not sure what he meant when he said that it was about 'a Russian stripper who shagged half the band': there are five members of Club Le Shark. Without aiming for sophistication, and a 'heroin of destruction', Club Le Shark can't complain about the criticism levelled at the less than endearing lyrics. Then again, perhaps that's the appeal about the Club, and as Lexx's gritty voice soars above the searing guitar interplay, thumping bass and cadence-drums, you can only find yourself joining in the game vocals. Lexx is truly a frothing, foaming-at-the-mouth front manget into it. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall Impression: Club Le Shark's talent resides in the band's latent ability to come off as an off the cuff band, a group dedicated to having a blast. Behind the public eye and this mysterious persona lies a tenacious ambition, and with a follow-up to be recorded at Ignition Studios in London pencilled in for an August/September completion date, Club Le Shark can only be treated as a band that can certainly rock some airwaves. Refreshing, glam heroes for the modern age, Club Le Shark's records are to be found peppered across stores across the UK, and to contact the band directly, visit MySpace and convince them to sign up for a UG profile. // 8

Comments