Blast Tyrant Review

Released: Mar 30, 2004
Label: DRT Entertainment
Genre: Rock
Styles: Grunge, Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal
Blast Tyrant is likely to confound those who have previously been confounded, and appease those who were previously appeased, leaving Clutch.
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Blast Tyrant Reviewed by: kevhead, on august 22, 2005

Sound: Clutch are a very underrated band, and all very talented. This album shows it very well. Again they've moved to a different more raw, rock sound on this album. It's just brilliant. The catchiest and very rocking guitar, bass and definitely drumbeats. They create a funky, rock; metal possibly jazz sound that's original but just "guaranteed rock satisfaction." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Blast Tyrant and most Clutch songs may seem weird to some people, but it's great songwriting and Neil Fallon pulls it of very well with his great rock voice that may take time to get used too. A very talented singer nonetheless. // 8

Overall Impression: At first I had to get used to this record, but the first song "Mercury" will certainly get you going and into a rocking mood with instrumental worthy opener. The album continues with a few funky tunes, which are not my favourites but creative, songs like "Cypress Grove." But a song that stood out for me was "The Regulator," an acoustic starting song. Again with the few funky tracks, then onto the best songs on the record. My favourites follow, in order on the cd. "Weathermaker" (a short instrumental), "Subtle Hustle," "Ghost" (similar to regulator, but maybe my favourite song) and then "(Notes From The Trial Of) La Curandera" - a great song which goes into the creative, instrumental jam "Wysiwyg," a great ender to the album. So this album is just outstanding and will please many listeners of different types of music. // 10

More Clutch reviews rating latest review
+ Earth Rocker 8.6 04/05/2013