From Beale Street To Oblivion Review

clutch: From Beale Street To Oblivion
Release Date: Mar 20, 2007
Label: DRT
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
This is an interesting album, even for Clutch. While it lacks the lyrical and thematic edge of Robot Hive Exodus, it makes up for in pure southern rock foot stomping goodness.
 9.2
 9.4
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
From Beale Street To Oblivion Reviewed by: dissident52, on march 28, 2007

Sound: I myself find myself attached to the middle years of Clutch. Not the heaviest years, but heavy enough. This CD tends to head back towards that direction, but with some jazzy tunes thrown in that are reminiscent of "Robot Hive/Exodus". Although I still think "Elephant Riders" is their best album, this one is still very good. But the wavy sound that Tim uses is a bit much and can become aggrivating at times, but he does have some good solos. And Neil still has the vocals to give Clutch the extra bit it needs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics that have been written have served Clutch well. Their lyrical style has always been one of my favorites. They throw in some abstract thoughts, a dash of humour, and a side seriousness. It all meshes very well and does not dissapoint. Plus with Neil's heavy voice, he tends to pull it off well. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I still prefer "Elephant Riders", but I find the more I listen to it, it grows more on me. I tend to like the track "When Vegans Attack", because it reminds me a lot of some classic rock out there. Their remake of "One Eye Dollar", I my opinion, is better on this album than on "Jam Room". The only dissapointment I have found besides the lack of heavier songs, the album is a little short. It may be average in length, but it seems to go short. And yes, if it were stolen I would replace it. // 9

More Clutch reviews rating latest review
+ Earth Rocker 8.6 04/05/2013