Treasure Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Treasure Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2004

Sound: The music of the Cocteau Twins basically combines the gorgeous melodies of artists like Mogwai and the Cure with soaring vocals. Some say Evanescence has the right singer but wrong music. Cocteau Twins basically sound what would happen if she was with the right people. The opener Ivo opens with acoustic and bass before these vocals come in and Elizabeth Frazier sings this catchy vocal line(she doesn't say any words though). Next is my favorite Lorelei, an impossibly catchy song with these sweet sounding vocals and a guitar ran through so many pedals I can't count. The rest of the album still holds up until the closer Donimo when it really kicks in. Beautiful, haunting, uplifting all in a 6 minute song. // 10

Lyrics: Elizabeth Frazier's voice more than makes up for the lack of actual lyrics. You can swear you heard english somewhere, maybe some dutch, gaelic or spanish somewhere. I do hear her singing "Come on" in the chorus to Donimo but that's pretty much it. The vocal melodies fit the music and that's what counts in the end. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the first album I heard from them so I haven't been able to compare this to the others but I'll definately check the rest out. Ivo, Lorelei, Persephone and Donimo are definite standouts, and even the song Aloysius, which I like for its delay-laden guitar line. The one minor(and I mean minor) gripe I have with the album is that the drums aren't real drums but drum machines. Bassist, guitarist, vocalist and a drum machine, even though they do sound like live drums. If you're into that whole Mogwai/My Bloody Valentine/Gybe! scene, you should definately check this out. // 10

More Cocteau Twins reviews rating latest review