artist: coheed and cambria date: 05/20/2011 category: compact discs
coheed and cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness
Released: Sep 20, 2005
Label: Sony
Genre: Rock
Co&Ca return with with their latest release "Good Apollo..." Don't let your worst fears consume you by missing out on this incredible album.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 8.9
Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: gowdyjames, on september 02, 2005

Sound: Well, I happen to be part of a lucky group of people that get lots of advance albums. And well this is, shall we say breathtaking. The album starts with a building strings piece on one of their other albums. This is followed by "Always And Never." This is an intricate acoustic guitar part, and along with "Keeping The Blade" is a kind of intro to the album. The band have made a big leap from the last album with this one. Adding to the saga of the story of Coheed And Cambria in a way not seen by many albums in reacent years. They kick the album off for real with "Welcome Home" which is (in Caludios' words) like Kashmir, obviously due to building guitar progression. It's a powerfull song that makes you want to listen again, but you can't because straight after it finishes the stupidly catchy into for "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood Burial)" kicks in. Again another superb track, with harmonising guitars and riffs galore. I honestly don't think that a band comes close to co&ca for shear imagination. The album then continue's further with "Crossing The Flame." Similar to ten speed this track is lick/riff/melody driven. The album then takes a time out with the intro to "Apollo I: The Writing Writer," but as you might have guessed this is short lived when it kicks in. The album follows the same path for most of the tracks with the epic "The Willing Well" - a four part song wiht each part over 7 mins long. There is a nice break with "Welcome Home" and a couple of others. // 10

Lyrics: Considering that the lyrics for all the coheed albums actually tell one continous story they are suprisingly imaginative and flowing. The fantastic range from Claudio obviously enhances them to a point which very few other singers can get to. Reading the lyrics you can see they all make sence and nothing is there just for rhymes sake. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, I honestly don't know if I can come up with enough superbatives for this album. A massive jump for "In Keeping..." and one in the right direction. This album should gain them a much larger fan base, and with some really rediculously catchy tunes and melodies on there, I'd be shocked if they don't hit the big time with it, especially with a major label behind them now. Rock on Coheed! // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 07, 2005

Sound: Coheed And Cambria release one more highly conceptual album. "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness," out September 2005, has a whole epic theory behind the music. It's the follow-up of the futuristic conceptual saga, started two albums before. The current opus is the third in the series and the first part of the last chapter in the story that is gonna take five albums. It tells us about a doomed parents who are convinced they must kill their kids to save the world from being infected by a virus embedded in their genes. The new record is more rock-n-roll, than it's predecessors. Layers of intricate guitars create prog-rock with emo-metal touch that brings memories of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Unordinary harmonies create deep and reach sound. All the tracks sound very circumspect because this time the musicians took more time to fix or improve the song before recording it. The record starts out with not one, but two intros that are completely different from the rest of the album -- an orchestral instrumentation and... I don't even know how to describe it. A child-killing ballad? Ok, something slow with kids' voices, SuperMario's sounds and words horrifying words "I'm still waiting here for one kiss from you/I'm still waiting here to kill all of you." "Keeping The Blade" is a reprise of melody from both the first saga album and the second -- some kind of reminder, that "Good Apollo I'm Burning Start IV..." is the continuation of the story. The track is beautiful and deep, but out of place here. Well, if you try to find any kind of logic here or judge the record by comparing it to any other records around, you would fail hopelessly. It's just like an abstract painting - you never know what exactly is painted there. Like those goofy "cosmic" sounds of spaceships at the end of the CD, borrowed from '70s sci-fi movies -- why? The aliens arrived, played a song and left? The songs keep going and going and most of the time you try to remember if there was 3-seconds silence recently and if that's the next song or still the one that started ten minutes ago. "Wake Up" is the most standout (after intros) and the best song on the record, with even organ work in the chorus -- a very beautiful true lullaby by a killer - as he sings in a sweet voice "I'll do anything for you/I'll kill anyone for you." Claudio Sanchez says he wrote the song when he had to leave his girlfriend for a long time to go on tour with a band. // 7

Lyrics: What the CD misses is a theatrical performance. Though you can imagine all the action in your head vivid as the lyrics are like a good story tale. That is the best and most important part of the album. Beautiful dark bedtime fairytales by members of Satanist sect -- that's probably the best way to describe it. They are incredibly well-written, which sometimes even cover the lack of dynamic in songs. Frontman Claudio Sanchez has a nice melodic voice, perfect for story-telling. Spacey backing vocals add mystery to the sound. // 9

Overall Impression: Imagine asking your friend: "Did you listen to Coheed And Cambria's "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness?" Sometimes people, wishing to be irresistibly cool, try to differ from everybody in awkward ways. I just guess that with band's potential a lot of thing on the album could have been done better. At the end out of all five albums, included in the saga, only about 10 songs could be chosen to make a good rock-opera. Apart from the fact, that songs just go nowhere, there isn't a slightest hook not in the melody line, nor in guitar riffs. Even though the story tells an epic drama, there's nothing dramatic in music. // 7

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on april 26, 2006

Sound: A musical opus. Very few bands can incorporate such musical percision into 15 tracks. But Coheed & Cambria manages to pull it off. Adding viola, violin, lap steel, and cello they wrote, played, and recorded a masterpiece. Travis Stever and Claudio Sanchez are some of the finest guitarists today, with dark, fast-paced solos, and light, shimmering choruses, they have perfected the art of playing guitar. The bass, although hard to here, as usual, is a good backdrop. Wothout it, you would hear light, squeaky guitars. The drumming is awesome, as seen in Welcome Home, which seems to show the most potiental out of all 15 tracks. No compliants, besides that fact the it does get hard to tell when which track ends and when the next begins. // 8

Lyrics: Claudio may be the modern day Geddy Lee, vocally. It is high-pitched, in a way, and silky smooth. He has the ability to know when to unleash it's fury. Although foggy, unless you have a wide vocabulary and extreme knowledge of metaphors, or have the comic, but still meaningful and great. Though does get a little boring at sometimes. // 10

Overall Impression: Coheed & Cambria is prbably one of the most musically talented band of its time. Using both light shimmering pieces and dark eerie pieces. By using instruments often not considered "rock" instruments, they have added another layer to their masterpiece of a CD. Probably the most impressive songs are Welcome Home, The Sufferung, Ten Speed - God's Blood And Burial, and the violin on Keeping The Blade. Their is much to love about the CD and little to hate. But what I don't like too much is the fact that alot of the songs sound the same, generally in the last 4 songs. Sort of like Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd is really the only band that C&C can compare to. They have much in common, like the fact that there is more than the instruments most bands use, such as the basic guitar, bass drummer, vocalist. If it was stolen, yes I would buy another album, and I would also get the one that was stolen back from the, "unlucky" thief. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2005

Sound: Being a guitarist, this album was like a dream come true for me. As soon as I got it I began learning the many solos it has to offer. You can really see that Coheed is maturing into a great band. They're one of the few bands who can't be categorized into any one genre of rock, and this album really showcases that. My 4 favorite songs (I can't pick just one) are Welcome Home, The Lying Lies & Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court, Apollo I: The Writing Writer, and The Final Cut. The Final Cut is part of a quartet of songs called the Willing Well, each of which is over 7 minutes. They're more intense than the rest of the album. One thing I really really liked was the pinch harmonics used in Welcome Home. I hadn't heard pinch harmonics in modern rock music for a really long time. Overall the sound on this album was great. // 10

Lyrics: Once again Claudio Sanchez displays the fact that he is one of, if not the, most talented singers and lyricists around today. The lyrics continue to tell the story of Coheed and Cambra (go over to www.cobaltandcalcium.com, go to the Forum, and check out the "Coheed And Cambria are dead" section for more on the story). The lyrics also flow well with the graphic novel released that goes along with the album. The story is a story of lost love and anguish as the Writer of the story we've been hearing struggles to finish it and deals with his cheating ex-girlfriend. It's told beautifully through Sanchez's lyrics. His vocals also add to the lyrics, showcasing his amazing range. Honestly he's one of the most talented singers out there. If at first you don't like his voice, keep listening, it'll grow on you and you'll realize the brilliance. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best album I've bought all year. Maybe even in the past decade. I love it. The best songs would have to be, as I mentioned before, Welcome Home, The Lyings Lies..., Apollo I: The Writing Writer, and Final Cut. The only bad thing about this album is the fact that it has to grow on you. It's so complex that it takes several full length listens before you can fully comprehend all of the music and vocals it has to offer. After maybe a week of listening you'll find yourself singing along and finding that this CD is one of your favorites. // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Coheed And Cambria have never been short on musicianship. There is something to be said in going too far, however. Musically, this CD is very accomplished. It has interesting and complex rhythm and lead work, and manages to do a lot with the varying musical textures. Even so, it still lacks the punch you would expect from Claudio & company by now. A few songs, like Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial) and Welcome Home get the ball rolling before Claudio even opens his mouth, but unlike their previous albums, I wouldn't listen to these songs if they were merely instrumentals. Not because it's bad, but because it's not immediate or exciting. // 7

Lyrics: Claudio's lyrics have always been inscrutable. At least on this album they're the least unscrutable they've ever been. You can manage to lift some meaning from his crazy sci-fi love story lyrics this time around, and the songs seem more cohesive, like he's whittled each song down to one particular subject, finally. These are definitely an improvement from back in the days of the Second Stage Turbine Blade, where it wasn't unheard of to hear lines like "Librarian find me the pole the one that kicks your head in". There's also a lot less sentence fragments, and I have to admit, that has really bothered me in the past, ending thoughts with words like "of" and "or" just seemed like sloppy writing to me. Even his vocals seem a little less high-pitched and histrionic. My only major complaint is that it feels like he took a dare from one of his friends to see how many different ways he could sing the word "you" on the CD. Apparently, this word has approximately three syllables. // 8

Overall Impression: I am a huge fan of Coheed And Cambria. I love seeing them successful and getting paid. That being said, this is their weakest album to date. That doesn't mean it's not good, it just means that they've gone a step down, and that comes from the lack of anthems. Even when their songs have gotten to their most convoluted in the past, there was still a part that you could just belt out alongside Claudio and feel good. There's just not enough moments like that on this cd. The best track on this album, Apollo I: The Writing Writer, is one of the few that puts the rock ahead of the pomp and circumstance. Just as a side note, it also has to have one of the worst song titles in history. Other standout tracks include the Kashmir-inspired Welcome Home, with it's dueling banjoes style solo, and Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial). The driving bassline and punchy riff on the verse along with the call-and-answer style vocals give it a certain urgency. If you are a fan of Coheed And Cambria, buy this CD, listen to it once, get out all your frustration that it isn't everything you hoped it would be, and then enjoy it for what it is. For people who aren't fans yet, buy In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 first. // 7

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 01, 2006

Sound: Like the previous two Coheed And Cambria albums, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV tells a story based around the graphic novels that the band also write. This album truly portrays the band's emotions and thoughts through the sheer energy and original sound on offer here. Claudio Sanchez's falsetto vocals and duelling guitar solos make Coheed stand far out from the mainstream and in a league of their own, in whatever genre they can be classified as. To me, this album gives me the feel of walking throguh the woods on a rainy day. I have no idea why but it gives me that dark, rural feeling, as if they would be playing these songs in a big old empty house in the middle of nowhere. Even though this seems like a weird vibe to get off it, I still really enjoy this album. The skill of the guitarists Claudio Sanchez and Travis Barker is simply mind-blowing, just listen to the solo on 'Welcome Home' and 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut', which reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd, their fingers must be flying up and down the fretboard like theres no tommorow. // 9

Lyrics: To me, there are two sides to Coheed's music that you can enjoy differently, the lyrics that make you think "What the hell is in his head?", and the music which is just marvellous, as mentioned before. The general theme lyrics wise on this album appears to be about revenge on people who have done wrong against him, for example on 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut' Claudio sings "you're a selfish little whore, I'm the selfish little whore, If I had my way I'd crush your face in the door". This is a brilliant lyric because its such a nasty thing to say but its sung in such a calm and melodic way, as is much of the album. In terms of the singer skill, I would say that it doesn't come much more original and amazingly graceful as Claudio Sanchez of Coheed And Cambria. // 9

Overall Impression: The stand out songs on this album are 'Welcome Home', 'The Suffering', 'Apollo I: The Writing Writer' and 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut', all of which span through the genres of rock, metal, pop, classical and maybe even blues. I have noticed that a hell of a lot of palm muting goes on on this album, which could get tedious if you notice it too much but if you are already entranced by the incredible vocals, the story telling, the enourmous solos, the chunky riffs and the beautiful flow of this album then you'll hardly care. Brilliant album, you'll love it more and more with each listen. // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: tommyg_99, on august 18, 2006

Sound: Good Apollo, I guess I'm the burning star. I was recommended this artist from a friend of mine who told me the site's website and told me to listen to Welcome Home. Immediately, I went to the site, because I love hearing new bands. And boy, did I love this one. Claudio Sanchez's screaming guitar along with Travis's lovely rhythm section (until the solos) fit perfectly together, kind of like a sort of epic battle between them. Claudio's vocals. What can I say. He sounds phenomenal. Anyone that thinks he is stupid and sounds like a girl can go and burn in hell. Claudio Sanchez's favourite action-packed graphic novels depict violence, and a subtle hint of romance, and it has been said that the albums are based on the comics. // 10

Lyrics: Claudio Sanchez's action-packed graphic novels depict violence, and a subtle hint of romance, and it has been said that the albums are based on the comics. Lyrics about the love and hate between the characters, and quite a bit of killing, for example, in Always And Never, the last line in this Simon & Garfunkelesque type acoustic ballad is "To kill all of you", which doesn't really fit, but who cares. Sounds awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: If this was stolen or lost, hell yeah, I would buy it again. With the comic, as I am told, you can get it in a pack with the comic in it. Here is the tracklisting and my impressions of the songs. 01. Keeping The Blade - this is an orchestral piece which lets you know that the story is continuing. Every album they have had has had an instrumental theme song at the beginning and this contains the theme song from The Second Stage Turbine Blade and In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3. Brilliant. 02. Always & Never - See above in lyrics. 03. Welcome Home - I haven't heard a real screaming guitar rock song like this in ages. Led Zeppelin mixed with Sabbath mixed with The Sisters Of Mercy style lyrics. Once again, this is a favourite. 04. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial) - this is my favourite track on this record. Guitars, vocals and drums fit perfectly and the outro is awesome. 05. Crossing The Frame - a terrific guitar riff, this is truly a keeper. 06. Apollo I: The Writing Writer - now we are getting into the more ballad sort of stuff, still really good. 07. Once Upon Your Dead Body - if hello could only drop it's "o". Very nice ballad. 08. Wake Up - not my favourite song, it's a bit random. All the songs are good though. 09. The Suffering - I love this song! Such a good riff, and the vocals in the chorus are just, wow. 10. The Lying Lies & Dirty Secrets Of Miss Erica Court - this song is sweet. Again, another case of a character in the comic. 11. Mother, May I - another slow song, personally I prefer the faster, distorted ones. 12. The Willing Well - These are cool, all of them. They have weird starts though. I: Fuel For The Feeding End - The Willing Well is basically a rock opera. It is a fast paced riff and drums, and rather long. II: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness - I actually like this song more than I expected I would. It has a sort of a sea shanty rhythm. It is really cool. III: Apollo II - The Telling Truth - took me a minute to figure out the timing, even though it's 4 4, it's still a bit confusing to start with. It speaks of one of the main characters in the graphic novel, Jesse and his brother, who seems to rape little girls. IV: The Final Cut - I really really like this song. It is the big big finale, and a big slow rousing power ballad, with an a wesome guitar melody at the start. Sarah Kathryn Jacobs fills in some good background vocals. That's Good Apollo. It is a brilliant album, one of the best I have heard for a while. Totally worth it. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: screamo36, on october 30, 2007

Sound: As a band Coheed has endured a lot in personal lives as well as their line-up. Their signature high vocal range, battling guitars, moving bass lines, and a strong drum beats are now accompanied by the missing ingredient in Coheed's last prog opera concoction, Keyboards. Claudio Sanchez, the bands frontman writes keyparts for many songs on the album. Travis was also big on the conception of this jewel. He adds many southern rock acoustic patterns in the album. Mic Todd, the returning bassist is nothing short of amazing when consructing the bass lines. Bass players will abosolutely love these lines. The drums were recorded by a session drummer so you know he has an idea how to add emphasis to the heavy parts of the songs as well as an understanding of when to just chill. If you are a veteran to the Coheed sound then you will love how Claudio takes ideas from previous CoCa favorites. Compare the epic sound of No World for Tomorrow to the legendary In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3. The group vocal screams and constant movement on the fretboards keep it interesting. The first single, The Running Free has a pop sound to be related to The Suffering. Gravemakers and Gunslingers can be a mirrored to Ten Speed. It has this constant solo feel as well as the spoken interlude at the bridge. The more acoustic Mother Superior has many of the same qualities of The Light and the Glass and Wake Up. Of course Coheed discovered on the last album, nothing makes for a closing track than a larger than life blues improv. The End Complete V. On the Brink does that and more, not to mention the allusion back to the final cut. This is all good but Coheed also adds some new blends different than the past works. Feathers, which has some type of upbeat pop metal vibe, and The Hound(of Blood and Rank) which has a more dark southern rock intro to a more pop rock feel, shows them as a progressive force to be reckoned with. // 10

Lyrics: This is by far Cladio's best vocal voice on all his albums. He uses his voice in all ranges and even brngs back his sreams from the second stage days. Of course we know that this is the conclusion of the story of Claudio so the lyrics have a death idea in most of the songs. If you are new to the story then this could seem to be a rather depressing album. But without a doubt a lyrical sucess. I would have prefered maybe one or two more positive songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Coheed is a strong driving force to be reckoned with. The have what many artist lack in current mainstream music. Depth, Technique, and Understanding of Music. This is arguably coheed's best work. Coheed makes this album contain a cornecopia of different song styles and structures to appeal to many music lovers as well as keep the disk from getting old. What makes it less appealing is the finality of the story. You want to see how Claudio would progress on the sixth part. I hope the next album (the prequel) shows Claudio's skills fully administered once more. I would buy two of these so that if it was stolen I would have a backup. Yeah it's that good. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: SlyBiscut, on september 05, 2005

Sound: This album definately displays Coheed's huge growth and maturity as musicians. It is just more proof that the band can do anything and it will sound good. The record is more produced, which makes sense after their move from Equal Vision to Columbia records, but it doesn't take away from the music at all. This album, like "Second Stage..." and "In Keeping Secrets...", starts off with a short preface to the rest of the album. It's soft orchestra sound leads perfectly into the first full track, called "Always And Never." It sports an acoustic, fingerpicked guitar track, and a couple of Claudio's highest notes on the record. The pace is picked up with the single, "Welcome Home." The record stays as catchy as ever, leading into the second more laid-back song, "Wake Up." The band's musical diversity shines after transitioning into the ninth track, "The Suffering," which will be the second single. Then comes "The Willing Well," the last four tracks of the record. They provide a perfect ending for the record, specifically topping it off with a little southern ditty. Coheed definately didn't waste their time with descent or half complete ideas on this record, and it paid off with another album that can easily be listened to from beginning to end. // 10

Lyrics: Since the lyrics are part of a four part saga, their is no doubt wheather they have meaning or relavence to a subject. Like the music, they are diverse and poetic. They can be as dark as ever, shown in "Always And Never," saying, "I'm still waiting here, to kill all of you," and all of a sudden be enlightening and hopeful, like in "Wake Up," saying, "I've earned through hope and faith... that I'm the one you'll hold forever." Even though words may sometimes be indecipherable because of Claudio's syllabical twists, his amazing voice takes your breath away. He has incredible vocal talent, that is also displayed in their live show. Claudio's harmonies are awesome as well. // 10

Overall Impression: This record is definately one of my favorite albums of all time. Though it is more produced and the sound is a touch different from Coheed's previous albums, it is not any less amazing. It's diversity will never lose your interest. Even though I was able to get it before its release date, I am buying it the day it comes out, and if it ever gets stolen, I will immediately go out and buy another copy. I highly advise you to buy this record. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: JohnnySoul, on september 09, 2005

Sound: Just like their albums, this one is a good buy. I got this from a nearby record bar, and I don't know how the people there got it, since this is supposed to be released on the 20th of september. as usual, the guitar riffs are spectacular and the voice of Claudio Sanchez never fails to amuse me. It's kinda sad that he didn't pull off the high ones in this album, and there seem to be fewer screams and growls. And it seems that some parts of the songs in the album resemble some parts in the other albums. Like The suffering. Try listening to Three Evils ("Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops"). The album has more of the progressive-ness in it now. The last four tracks are 7 minute ones, full of melodic guitar riffs and lovely drums. My favorite band gets a 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about the comic and thats about it. These lyrics make little sense if you dont have the comic. Coheed would suck lyric-wise if Claudio didn't sing it. His voice is unique. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like the usual fast paced punk rock music in your PC, and progressive rock, and also with classic rock influences, you have to buy this CD. And if you wanna try and listen to a new kind of music, go ahead. You'll surely like the songs in this album. I liked Wake Up, The Suffering, and The Four Willing Well tracks most. I'd buy this again when it gets officially released. // 1

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: ANTIHIPPY102, on september 15, 2005

Sound: All I can say is wow. Co&Ca have managed to outdo their last two albums. Now, be warned, this isnt an album you will want to listen to once, decide you don't like it, and move on. If you listen to it more than once, I guarantee you will find it is very good. They manage to pack more genres in here than the last CD, with a classical-esque violin/piano track (Keeping The Blade), a nice, heavy, almost epic sounding track (Welcome Home), soft acoustic songs (Always And Never, Wake Up) and an astonishingly good 5 minute blues jam (The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut). // 8

Lyrics: Claudio's voice is much different on this one. On a lot of the tracks, he uses his normal voice, which is actually quite low, and on a very select few, he uses his higher pitched one. Not too much new there. The lyrics sound really nice, and all flow very well, and they continue the story of Coheed & Cambria, although I guess a lot of the tracks are written from the writers point of veiw. If you know much about the story, The Willing Well section is very interesting, particularly II, III, and IV. // 1

Overall Impression: Co&Ca's best album yet. In my opinion, they just keep outdoing themselves. Although a few tracks leave a bit to be desired, overall, this is an amazing album. Favorite Tracks: Keeping The Blade, Welcome Home (even though I'm a little burnt out on it), Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial), Wake Up, The Willing Well II: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness, The Willing Well III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth, and The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2005

Sound: Utterly amazing, there isn't much more I can say. Every track is extremly unique, and very unlike anything you'll ever hear from another band. // 10

Lyrics: Well, like alot of people have said, everyone will enjoy the lyrics. But, for followers of the story like myself, it is very interpretive. It really seems like there has been a huge blow to one of the major characters, but that's just my opinion. Other's may see it differently, though. The last four tracks are a big part of the story, The Willing Well series. They really add to the album, all being over 7 minutes long. I can't say anything to do the album justice. 10 for lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best 15 dollars I have ever spent in my life. Best songs, in my opinion, are Once Upon Your Dead Body, Welcome Home (first single), Mother May I, and The Final Cut. I loved everything about this album, from the slow, emotional songs to the heavy riffed, progressive songs. If anyone stole this, or I lost it, I'd just go get it again and probably buy another 100 copies of them just in case. 10 out of 10. // 10

Sound: What can I say? It's Coheed. While this albumn does have that certain Coheed flair, it retains it's own original sound. While SSTB sounded kind of mechanical, this one sounded 'futuristic'. Not sure what the even means, but moving on I really enjoyed In Keeping the Blade. it almost seems as if the soft strings are screaming out to you - I love it. I did think it strange that it would go directing into the quiet Always but Never. Maybe it would have sounded better to go right into the epic Welcome Home? I guess the mastermind Claudio had his reasons. Welcome Home: amazing. The power this song shoots through you you'd think you were taking a massive bong hit and clearing the chamber. Coheed at it's finest. 10 Speed, catchy, fun - nice. // 8

Lyrics: You stormed off to scar the armada. Do I even need to go into detail here? // 9

Overall Impression: The rest of the CD (excluding willing well) didn't exactly do it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the Writing Writer and the Suffering is cool, I just feel it wasn't as diverse as IKSSE3. It didn't deliver the epic space drama that I crave! I was hisheartened at the fact that I didn't get shivers up my spine at every song. But what can you expect? IKSSE3 is a near perfect albumn. Although, I will admit that although it didn't make me cry out for pleasure, I enjoyed it on a different level. This CD seems less epic and intense and more mood driven. Once Upon your Dead Body was such a simple song but one of the greatest. // 7

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: fisher6, on september 23, 2005

Sound: If you're familiar with Coheed & Cambria's previous albums, The Second Stage Turbine Blade, and In Keeping Secrets... , than you'll be happy to know that even after a jump to a major label, the band still has their trademark sound. However, slightly different, is that on this record, Co&Ca have become a little more focused sounding, having a good solid rock album, rather than dipping into pop, (Blood Red Summer), or maybe metal (The Camper Velourium III: Al The Killer). As most Co&Ca fans know, the albums follow a sci-fi concept story. However, for this record, Claudio Sanchez, the lead vocalist and guitarist, decided to add a little more depth. Good Apollo... is actually the story of the writer of the story (still with me? ), and how his life experiences influence the story's characters and it's outcome. Kudos for creativity. I'd say it's a damn good album. There is still the classic Coheed sound apparent on Good Apollo... , but they manage to pull of a smoother sound which benefits this particular album. The usual string arrangements are still here, and fit in flawlessly. Travis Stever, lead guitarist, even uses some lap steel on a track or two, which adds a cool, unique sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics follow the story of "The Writer", so if you're not a Coheed fan, and are unaware of the story, you may find it hard to get into and understand. However, I still believe even a brand new listener will be able to appreciate the complex and creative vocals that go along perfectly with the complex and creative music. As for the singer, Claudio has a very unique voice, and has often been dubbed the modern day Geddy Lee. His helium voice is the love-it-or-hate-it type, but personally I love it. Claudio doesn't only have a high, smooth voice, he knows how to use it to it's full potential as well. You will here sweet ballads on the acoustic tracks, solid rock vocals on the rest, and even some unique shrieks and screams scattered throughout the CD. // 9

Overall Impression: As far as conceptual albums go, you could compare Good Apollo to The Mars Volta's "De-loused In The Comatorium" or "Frances The Mute", Boys Night Out's "Trainwreck", and even maybe some old Pink Floyd records. A few tracks that really shine on this album are "Welcome Home", which is the first single, "The Suffering" which will be the second single and have a video out for it fairly soon, and "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)". If it were lost/stolen, I would definately go pick up another copy. If you're a prog rock/emo/screamo/pop/rock fan, this is a must have album. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: bmanbks, on september 25, 2005

Sound: Ok, to start off, (not including "Keeping The Blade") the first song starts out almost as a "prepare yourself" kind of way. The great and complicated acoustic guitar playing was abviously a sure sign of what to come. And, as predicted, "Welcome Home" hits and all you could do was awe in amazement as the whole song never died down. Right after, you get the song "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)" which says that this album is going to be worth every penny. "Crossing The Frame" is another hit, not as good as the first few songs but great in it's own right. Then, "Apollo 1: The Writing Writer" comes in and with it's complex rythm and sound. "Once Upon Your Dead Body" is another one of those songs that you'll listen to but it won't do too much for you. However, Coheed brings a newer side of itself with "Wake Up" which sounds different from all of their other slower songs. "The Suffering" is the catchiest song I've heard in a long while, it might as well be the perfect up-beat song of the entire CD. The next two songs aren't the best I've ever heard but not too bad I guess. But the CD ends beautifully with the "Willing Well" series. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as most Coheed fans know, tells a story of love, revenge, and all that jazz. Claudio delivers the lyrics amazingly swift. The lryics on this cd are much more raw than past CD's. From what I could tell, Claudio steps out of the past time CD ways of no parental advisory sticker, which kind of disappointed me. In this CD, though, Caudio's voice was much truer to his live performances (but was still rather high). The sounds he put off were almost eerie at times and completely necessary. Most people don't like the vocals and to those people I say, that without the way he sings, the songs and CD would not be as nearly captivating. I wish I could tell you more about the story that is being told but unfortunately, I'm still getting the information myself. // 10

Overall Impression: Good Apollo I'm Burinig Star 4: Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes Of Madness is by far the best CD Coheed has put out yet. Coheed has really matured as musicians with this complex and melodicly catchy album. The thing that impressed me the most is how they've been able to keep us Coheed fans longing once more for more sci-fi thrilling lyrics, etc. I just can't help but love the way the flow each song from to another and keep you hooked. The way this album was laid out track wise was also rather clever in my opinion. The album really can't compare to TSSTB. IKSSE3 was great but GAIBS4 simply put is, absolutely incredible. Unfortunately that can only give Coheed more to live up to! // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: shimaroller3, on september 25, 2005

Sound: When I think of Coheed and Cambria, I think of a few musicians free of the restrictions of genre. I listen to their albums and all of the songs are different, yet somehow the same. My friend best described their sound I think when he said "You hear the main riff, listen to it and it sounds horrible, then you hear it 2 or 3 times, and you realize this is awesome!" The sounds on this CD range from heavy (Welcome Home) to melodic rock (The Suffering) to swing (II: From Fear...) to blues (IV: The Final Cut). The prevailing sound in all the songs is that they are all very dramatic. After listening to very much of it you feel like going out and accomplishing something, or getting fired up about some 'cause it's hard to explain. Definitely very cool. // 10

Lyrics: Everyone's first reaction to the music is "I hate the singer!" And he bugged me sorta at first too, but after I got their album and listened to it a bit I started to love him. I think his high voice allows him to add more expression than most singers. The lyrics, as most people know, follow a story he made up that is told in comic books released with the albums, all of which I own. The lyrics in the song don't tell the whole story by any means, but more just express the feelings of certain scenes. I think Claudio is the best song-writer since Pink Floyd. // 10

Overall Impression: Coheed And Cambria is one of my favorite bands of all time. They have a unique addictive sound that no-one else can produce. I think they are also some of the best instrumentalists ever, which nobody gives them credit for. Were it not for 2 people that gave them 0s which look like accidentally in this review, all the albums would be rated 9+, which is something very few bands can claim. They definitely get all 10s in my book. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: mpioslipknot, on september 26, 2005

Sound: This I think is a much more mature sound than Coheed And Cambria's last 2 albums. This record has a much harder darker sound. It sound like if you mixed Avenged Sevenfold with Blink 182. So ehat I'm trying to say is that the sound is dark and metalish but it still has that classic C&C beat. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are more violent like out of velorium camper from the last album. But this time around every song has a dark theme to it. There is nothing wrong with a little violence in the lyrics, but when the CD is parental advisory because of it, then it is a little over the top. But the vocals are still high pitched like in the last album and I loved it. // 7

Overall Impression: Yes this album tops thier last two but I'm going to have to take off because it sounded like they focused more on making it violent than the best CD ever. // 8

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 26, 2005

Sound: To me Good Apollo sounds colorful. I believe the band has honed their expression to the point where their mood portrayal is so right on that you almost feel exactly what he is trying to say musically. When I listened to Once apon your Dead body I thought of the second level of Sonic 2 the video game I know it sounds crazy but I did I dunno maybe the chemical reference. I give the overall sound of this record a 9 because it's very streamlined and pure. Expecially the drum mix. // 9

Lyrics: Good stuff definetly. Does anyone listen to the dialouges i.e. 10 Speed and Apollo apparently something is going on with the plot at these points. Lyrically though it definetly is right on with the other songs. The Writing Writer: "Come on b--ch why aren't you laughing now." The pauses with the rest of the band. I rewinded my CD about 4 times I thought it got scratched on the journey home from the cd store. Good stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: My general impression is that Claudio says woah almost too many times on this record. I have no problem with it but if one was to point out a flaw, I'd say that would be it for me. But yeah I have nothing left to see but that I'm seeing them tomorrow at the house of blues and it should be the best time. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on october 31, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing. It is such a departure from what you hear in mainstream music today. They make great use of all the instruments they use. For example, in Welcome Home (my personal favorite) they use an entire orchestra (played by four people who recorded themselves multiple times). Usually, ensembles like this come off as a little cheesy, but not here. It really compliments the song. // 9

Lyrics: The singer is amzing. His voice is high but not nasaly and annoying. He has a unique voice that is very amazing. His lyrics are great. They are very good. They are really quite amazing, and fit the song really well. // 10

Overall Impression: Wow. Just wow. That's all I have to say. The most impressive songs were the epic Welcome Home and the soaring The Suffering, among many others. If this were stolen, I would kill myself. Or go buy another. That works too. I love everything about this song, and hate nothing. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: Nyranger, on february 28, 2006

Sound: After being completely blown away by coheeds first two albums I was expecting an incredible album but my expectations were deffinatly not met. To me the CD goes through the story of some psycho who's eating people and screwing little kids moms. Althought I wasn't impressed with the flow of the vocals that Claudio puts out the guitar is amazing as Coheed is known for so if you can get past the way the CD flows then you might like this. In Good Apollo it seemend like coheed is missing something just the verses and the chours clash on almost every song deffinatly not a good thing. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazingly unique no other band out right now has the abillity to write songs like coheed. The sound of the guitars and the drums fit the style of the lyrics pretty well but Claudio's voice in the songs didn't fit the energy of the music behind him in some songs. // 6

Overall Impression: Good Apollo is a great album to buy if you have the ability to tune out the singer and just listen to the guitar. I can only note 3 songs which are good all around wich are Once Apon You Dead Body, The Suffering, and Welcome Home. Althought the album seems to drag for eternity I still will listen to it just to here the lead guitar it is amazing. If this CD was stolen or lost I would deffinatly get something else it was just really a dissapointment I really expected something better. // 4

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2006

Sound: This is the third album and the fourht part of the bag online adventures of coheed and cambria in which Claudio tells of the story of young claudio kilganon and his adventures in a time that is superior to our own. They manage to combine smooth melodic guitar riffs with hard hitting, head banging electric fusion to create a dark and mistic sound that gives a large over all impression on what claudio is trying to get through with his story. If you have been lucky enough to buy the special edition with the cool DVD that shows coheed in the studio working on the album, you get to see how amazing and how apt to detail coheed and cambria is. Many of the songs and parts that they original right end up going through changes, sometimes adding acoustic harmony parts behind loud electric parts, or sometimes changing the whole song altogether to get the desired sound. // 8

Lyrics: Although Claudio Sanchez is often torn apart because his singing is so called "girly" and very high pitched, a common belief among critics and fans alike is that Claudio has slowly altered his voice and singing octaves as the albums are released to show the growth that Claudio Kilganon goes through in the process of saving the world in the Bag online adventure stories. The lyrics sometimes dont really comply very well with the music that is backing it, but on the other hand there is really no other band like coheed and cambria. Whats great about this album is that the mood of the music and the mood of the lyrics and distinctivly different and thats what makes it so great. The variets that are shown therefore, makes certain that the eager coheed listener is never bored or tired. Coheed and Cambria are great musicians, their music alone is good enough, but they add great lyrics to go along with it, and that just makes them great! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall imression of this album came with the first seventeen minutes of listening to it, this is one of those all killer no filler albums that have a song that everyone can relate to (even a classical sounding opener with orchestrated insturments). All the songs tend to stand out depending on the mood you are in or the type of music you listen to, maybe for the '70s rock listener, a trip through The Willing Well III From Fear Through The EyEs Of Madness may tickle your fancy or the big hitter Welcome Home may just do it for you, if you are a guitar fanatic and love to solo, then maybe you would like The Final Cut with a huge stringy solo at the end thats bound to leave and impression. Overall, anyone can enjoy this album, the great musician or the casual music listener, there is something for everyone! // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: Pacifica112J, on august 16, 2006

Sound: First off, I'd like to say that I've been a Coheed and Cambria fan for a long time, and I've been listening to this album for a good while now, so I think it's time I wrote a review on this masterpiece. My impression of the band itself, is that it's nothing short of spectacular, revolutionary, and ingenious. In a generation of music, where everything is cloned, and cloned again, Coheed and Cambria stands in a league of it's own. They should seriously have their own genre of music. If you're a fan of rock, at all, Coheed and Cambria has something for you. All of their albums have something to offer to every little niche of music, except rap, 'cause it sucks. I'm serious, they cover everything! They cover Heavy Metal, Classical, Orchestra, Acoustic, etc. I don't know how they pull of such complicated, and beautiful music. Right from the beginning of the album, they shocked me with an entire intro song, Keeping The Blade, which consists entirely of Piano, and Violin. And it's absolutely beautiful, sounding like it came from the mind of Beethoven, or Bach. And keep in mind, this is coming from a fan of speed metal, and 80's rock. The rest of the album doesn't disappoint, either. My favorite song on the entire album, Welcome Home, begins with an awesome acoustic solo, then out of nowhere, hits you with an absolutely kick ass compilation of rock guitars. As if that wasn't enough, the lyrics are haunting and morbid, but not vulgar. From what I interpreted, it was about a cheating wife, or girlfriend, whom he kills, simply because if he can't have her, nobody can. Coheed never ceases to amaze me. I'm not sure about the story behind this particular album, but from all the Coheed albums I've listened to, they play out like intricate novels, with twists and turns that will leave you saying "What the f--k? I have to listen again!" As I stated above, Welcome Home is about a guy who kills his cheating spouse, or girlfriend. And as morbid, sick, and twisted as some Coheed songs may be, it is always done very tastefully, with nary a cussword uttered during the entire album, save for once or twice. Again, as I said above, I love speed metal, and '80s rock, both of which are full of foul language, sex, and drugs. And I see Coheed's music as a refresher from the normal, that doesn't involve all the sex, drugs, and riff raff of rock, but can rock just as hard, or harder than the rest, but turn around and bring a tear to your eye with a beautiful violin solo, or something. Coheed gets my vote here, too. Pretty much everything is used. There's not much I can type here, that will actually give you a taste of what Coheed is capable of. The amount of genres covered is absolutely stunning. Sorry for being vague here, but I really am at a loss of words, you just have to listen for yourself. // 9

Lyrics: Like I said earlier, the lyrics portray a messed up story, but do it with class and sophistication. Morbid as they may be, they're enjoyable to listen to, and flow like butter. The lyrics flow in tune with the music 100%. There's never any wailing during a violin solo, and there's never any soft, fuzzy lyrics during an ear splittingly bad ass guitar solo. It's melded perfectly, and the entire song is enjoyable to listen to, not just one part, like a lot of other songs by other artists. To a first time listener of Coheed, there will be confusion. At first, the lead singer sounds like a transvestite, but soon, you realize that he couldn't be a better singer. His voice is haunting, and fits the music perfectly, as does everything else. // 10

Overall Impression: Coheed And Cambria is like nothing you've ever heard before, and probably won't ever hear again once they're gone. This is revolutionary, people. And it works. As much as this hurts me to say, I can't recommend that anybody listens to Always & Never. It is extremly stupid, in my opinion, and this album would have been better without it. But it doesn't even put a dent in the other fantastic tracks. I might die, due to lack of Coheed and Cambria while on my way to buy another copy of it. It's that vital to my daily routine. But truthfully, yes, I would in a heartbeat. Then I would track down whoever stole it, and disembowel them with a soup spoon. Buy it. If you're having second thoughts, don't. Trust me. If you don't enjoy this album thoroughly, I'll buy it back from you for full price. // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 25, 2006

Sound: I have been a hard rock fan for a very long time and I can say that without a doubt, this is the most unique album I have ever heard. From the moment I inserted it into my CD player to several days later, I have not been able to get it out of my head. The last album to do that for me was Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime. I have read many reviews on this album and I can see every point of view. It captivates from the beginning. I am a big fan of Metallica's S&M adventure and to this day found orchestration and rock can be done hand in hand. One of my favorites is Ozzy's "Diary of A Madman". This album follows along that path of melodic bliss. Singing vocals is Claudio Sanchez and he can clearly be compared to Geddy Lee with his amazing vocals. But apart from the frightenly similar sound he produces, the comparison ends there. The music blends between songs and I never felt bored with it. Normally I would have never given a band like this a second thought, but it was recommended to me from a coworker and I must say that I can't thank him enough for introducing them to me. After the second day of listening to the album, I ordered the first two albums to listen how the band has developed musically. The bass in The Willing Well III - Apollo II - The Telling Truth is just thumping along, competing with both guitars. A perfect blend in my opinion. The album does not dissapoint. Right now I cannot pinpoint a favorite. Each song has something different to offer and you just have to listen to appreciate it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are hard to follow along with. That is not a bad thing. Nirvana had horrible lyrics and Kurt Cobain became a god. A dead one at that. Sanchez does a great job of showing off the dynamics and range that he can attain with his voice. It helps that the rest of the band is tuned in with his voice and compliment him well for background vocals. Parts of the lyrics do jump right out at you and grab your attention, like in Once Upon Your Dead Body, "No, I hope you die right now/Will you drink my chemical". You can expect this throughout the album. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I have said, I have read many reviews and lots of bands have been named. I wish I could give the same comparison. I am curious to see if they are as gifted as Co&Ca. I would think not. To me, they are extremely original. It won't be long before other bands start picking up on what this band is doing right. I look forward to a new release and am anxiously waiting for the previous two albums. If you like Rock, this is a great album to add to your collection. Go to their website www.coheedandcambria.com and listen prior to buying. You wont be disappointed. // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: ryda18, on november 02, 2006

Sound: When I first heard Coheed & Cambria, I was slightly skeptic. The opening single from the album 'Welcome Home' gave off a huge metal vibe, one that I wasn't particularly keen on. But given a year to mature my musical taste, and Coheed have become my favourite band. The killer, catchy riffs and licks that Claudio Sanchez and Travis Stever use to brighten up what could easily have been a bland powerchord album and turn it into and epic prog-punk masterpiece. Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: Volume I: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness is the first episode of the final chapter of the concept series Coheed have created with their albums. The story is a complicated one, but in this album it boils down to young Claudio Kilgannon avenging the death of his parents and watching his love life fall apart (I may have got this wrong, correct me if so). The listeners get to see the story from the Writer's point of view and see how events in the Writer's life affects that of his story. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are incisive and often very difficult to make out and understand. However the lyric sheet puts all problems aside and makes everything clear, with Claudio's vocals ranging throughout the album to suit the mood of the song. 01. Keeping The Blade - clever instrumental intro. Begins downhearted with a sad piano and then slowly picks up, giving an upbeat, 'look to the future' feel. Slightly boring for those who expected an epic-rock opening, like myself. 02. Always & Never - acoustic song, sounds slightly Simon & Garfunkel. Soft lyrics with a child's voice added in to add relevance to the story. Almost like a second intro with what follows. Short, and possibly worst song on album, but still brilliant. 03. Welcome Home - now the party begins! Opens with a brilliant acoustic intro and then electric guitar version of the same riff with added harmonics. Feels as though this should be the explosive intro 1+2 werent. Amazing guitar solos from Claudio & Travis, Strong and thoughtful lyrics driven from Claudio. 04. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial) - the final single off the album, quite commercial and easy to like. Smart intro from guitars, and good solo. Difficult to make out lyrics at times and difficult to understand relevance to story. Still enjoyable song. 05. Crossing The Frame - catchy song, again lyrics difficult to decipher but still able to get the general idea of what the songs about. Not the best on the album, almost feels like filler. 06. Apollo I: The Writing Writer - awesome song. Long intro but worth the wait, a clever catchy song with infectious lyrics. Gets more bitter as it develops, great riffs and incredibly difficult to sing and play simaltaneously. 07. Once Upon Your Dead Body - catchy in places but feels a lot like filler. One of the worser songs on the album. Nothing really stands out here. 08. Wake Up - excellent acoustic-y track. Soft, love song with intricate guitars and smart lyrics. Very soothing/emotive. 09. The Suffering - most famous single off the album and one of the most popular. Nice guitar parts, especially the intro. Again, difficult to sing and play to. Clever lyrics. 10. The Lying Lies & Dirty Secrets Of Miss Erica Court - about Claudio's girlfriend in the story, in my opinion gives away some clues to the story but that's my interpretation. Catchy riff and clever song. 11. Mother May I - a bit dull in places, not sure where this fits in and again feels a bit like filler. Another not so good song. 12. The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End - beginning of epic series of songs. More upbeat than most with exception of following track, difficult to understand most of lyrics but a catchy chorus. Bass and drum work is excellent throughout the song. 13. The Willing Well Ii: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness - the title track is the most happy/upbeat song in the series, but still shows how the happiness is almost sucked through each song. Nice guitar licks but not a great song by any means. Catchy in places. 14. The Willing Well Iii: Apollo Ii: The Telling Truth - very similar to earlier track, same opening riff and chorus but has other added sections to match the length of the other songs in the series. Creates clever contrasts and then back into the general mood of the song. Excellent. 15. The Willing Well Iv: The Final Cut - if it were possible to give 11/10, this would ace it. No doubt the outstanding track on the alubm. Opens with an incredibly emotive guitar lick and ends the album perfectly. Bitter lyrics, thought provoking, and simply mind-boggling guitar solos. Ends with and upbeat strumming section, completely against the run of the song, as though contradicting the song's message. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best albums in my collection, easily. If I lost this, there is no doubt in my mind I'd buy it again. This has made me love Coheed and want to listen to the older stuff just to understand the complex story that lies through all the albums. This album is a most for all music-lovers looking for something different to listen to. Brilliant. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2006

Sound: Coheed & Cambria are indeed the newest sound out there at the moment. And if you're flowing with the prog movement, you would easily recognise the difference. Their overall sound is excellent. They have taken a lot of effort to put together great intros and lots of neat fills. e.g. Welcome Home, The Final Cut, Always & Never. They also show a great deal of detail to create hypnotic solos such as the one in Welcome Home. Leadsinger Claudio Sanchez has an incredible vocal range and does not hesitate to go higher if needs be. The band can be compared to bands such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Rush. Though it is much more modern progressive rock and is not easily directly classified. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, I'd say they have got the most in-depth lyrics on the planet. The lyrics are based on the Bag-Online Adventure Comics of Coheed & Cambria. The story progresses through each album (this being the third). Some lyrics on the album are a bit graphic (especially those of the 'willing well' tracks, of those the final cut, which has just been put to music video, is quite graphic). Otherwise, the story speaks for itself, in utter brilliance. // 10

Overall Impression: Coheed & Cambria is not comparable! It is its own genre! There is no band on the planet like this band! Standout tracks: Welcome Home, The Suffering, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial), The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut. This is a must-have for your CD collection. It's addictive stuff and you'll be singing along in no time. This has got to be one of the top bands on the planet! // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: Amalgam, on august 20, 2007

Sound: Coheed and Cambria's third studio album, Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madness, although sporting the longest album title yet from the band, is nonetheless an amazing album, their best to date in my opinion. Having traces of classic legends such as Led Zeppelin infused with their progressive rock, they've created a truly memorable chapter in the Amory Wars series (the story behind all of the albums). The sound has heavy influence on the vocals and ambiance of the music, promoting each instrument through the others, creating a powerful sound unmatched on any of their previous efforts. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, while not exactly life changing, are amazing to read for those who know the story of Coheed and Cambria. Based on Claudio Sanchez's comic book, The Amory Wars, it details the latest chapter of the epic series, and it does so without fault. The lyrics fit the music quite well, as well as Claudio's voice, which is amazing, and reminiscent of Rush's Geddy Lee. Claudio is a very high pitched singer, but don't let that turn you off, the vocals are solid and fit appropriately with the music. Overall, however, many people will come to judge the music on Claudio's singing, so, if you are afraid of buying this album, listen to some tracks to get a feel for his voice. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a big step in musical abilities for the entire band. Sporting such amazing tracks as Welcome Home (one of my personal favorites) and The Suffering (my absolute favorite), Good Apollo is a great album that any Coheed and Cambria fan will instantly love, and any rock fan should have in their collection. I love the music, the emotion, the energy, the entire album is incredibly well done. Stolen, lost, taken as a dark Satanic ritual to burn all good music, I'd definitely buy it again. Fans of progressive rock, Rush, and Led Zeppelin will definitely enjoy this album. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: guitar_hero_man, on may 15, 2008

Sound: Possibly the best and most creative installment in the Coheed and Cambria series, "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" was Coheed's major label debut and a highly reviewed album. It lives up to it's name. The opener, "Keeping the Blade", melts classical music with the trademark interlude. It transcends into "Always and Never", an absolutely beautiful acoustic ballad full of stinging lyrics and barebones guitar. "Welcome Home" and "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)" are both straightforward rock songs, and both staples in Coheed's catalog. The more poppier "Crossing the Frame" follows up "Ten Speed" in a very catchy fashion. By now, you're hooked. "Apollo I: The Writing Writer" is a damning prog-metal track with more awesome layers than a Taco Bell 7-layer burrito. "Apollo I" provides the first real dark frame for the album. "Once Upon Your Dead Body" is much mellower, but with lyrics of poison and hatred. "Wake Up" is a very soothing love song with a promising chorus. "The Suffering" is a Queen-esque, straight-up rocker with critical acclaim and a catchy beat. "The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court" is a perfect installation to the album. It blends everything together of Coheed that you love. "Mother, May I" is a rather polyrhythmic half-tempo song that fits in nonetheless. Then, one arrives at the song cycle that is the Willing Well. "I: Fuel For the Feeding End" is possibly the strongest song out of the cycle, with ominous vocals, epic length, and beyond stellar vocals. "II: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness" is quite like a ragtime saloon in hell, and is a perfect follow-up to "Fuel." "III: Apollo II: The Telling Truth" is the sequel to "Apollo I" with a slightly altered song structure and lyrics. Finally, the conclusion of "IV: The Final Cut" lends a dramatic, Shakesperean touch to the whole thing. The hidden instrumental "Bron Y Aur" is a very fitting touch to officially close the album, which singer Claudio Sanchez describes as "a weird song you hear during the credits of a movie." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very strong. Take, for example, one of the many breakdowns in "I: Fuel For the Feeding End": "Feed little maggots off the west side of your sin/Run little maggots till they learn of what you did." Sung with Claudio's trademark falsetto vocals and octaved down amazingly to drop-minus-Z (both vocals simultaneously), this one's a showstopper. And in "Always and Never", during the breakdown, Claudio presents lovely deep tones that reach out and touch your heart. The conceptual lyrics go along with the Amory Wars story of Coheed's. Dark and brooding in the coolest way possible, these lyrics are doomsaying and ominous to no exciting end. You have to hear it to believe it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my personal favorite out of all four records. My favorite songs are "Always and Never", "Welcome Home", "The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court" and the Willing Well series. I love everything and hate nothing. And no one would ever steal it, I wouldn't ever let them. And I'd never lose it. Two words: buy this! One word: NOW! Thank you for reading. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: Fatally Jon, on june 27, 2008

Sound: I will start by saying that this is not just my favorite Coheed and Cambria album, but my favorite album period. Every single piece of music comes together perfectly to create this dark, epic, and beautiful masterpiece. To me, this is how Coheed albums should sound: the guitars are less prominant than the vocals and drums, and act to bind all of the music together rather than over-power all of the other instruments. The problem with "Good Apollo: Volume II", their newer album, is that the guitars drown out all of the more intricate workings of each song. "Volume I", however offers a perfectly mastered collection of songs ranging from ballads ("Wake Up", "Always & Never") to more of a metal sound ("Welcome Home") to something more progressive ("The Willing Well"). The alum itself has fifteen tracks, giving it a grand, larger-than-life feel that isn't as strong on their other albums. A large complaint about this album is that there are a lot of filler tracks, but when considering the album as a whole, no song could possibly be lost or omitted. Every song has its purpose withing the pacing and structure of the album, as well as to the telling of the story. While some feel that songs such as "Wake Up" or "The Lying Lies Of Miss Erica Court" are unnecissary, I feel that the albume would fail without them. To me, this is more than just a collection of songs; this is a carefully crafted musical masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Claudio Sanchez always catches heat for "sounding like a little girl". Personally, I think anyone making this complaint is whining like a little girl. He has tremendous range, and "Volume I" showcases that range better than any of the other albums. From dark and brooding ("The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End") to light and poppy ("The Suffering"), he creates different emotional and theatrical cues throughout the album's entirety. The vocals in the first few songs, "Welcome Home" and "Ten Speed(Of God's Blood And Burial)", set an ominous mood that weaves its way in and out of the album at various points. Sanchez should be complimented, too, on his ability to create original lyrics. Rarely are there cliched lyrics, as is too abundant in most popular music today. Sanchez's skill in writing is also apparent in the way that every song has those clever lines that you can't help bus sing along to, such as "If it was up to me/I would've figured you out/Way before the year clocked out/Oh, I hope you're waiting" ("The Suffering") or "I/I left in a sudden rush and never said why/You/You couldn't know that I had no good-bye's" ("Crossing The Frame"). // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Keeping The Blade - the title is a combination of previous instrumentals "The Second Stage Turbine Blade" and "Keeping The Blade", so accordingly, the song is also as such. The violins are soft and beautiful, where the piano is eerie and ominous. A key track that builds the mood of the album. 02. Always & Never - a sweet, lullaby-type song that calmly introduces the band. Some think that this is filler, that "Keeping The Blade" was an acceptable introduction, but I feel this is really more of an extension of the previous track. 03. Welcome Home - this song kicks ass. Literally. From the pinch harmonics in the intro, the Zeppelin-esque verse riff, and the calm before the solo-storm, this is by far one of Coheed's stronges songs to date. This is also one of the first times we hear a wailing solo from Coheed, something that we should get used to. 04. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial) - in keeping with the pace and power of "Welcome Home", this song kicks right off with an awesome riff and some very dark lyrics ("I can feel it in the way your blood and heart beat/My body's cold and it thinks that I'm already gone". The chorus is catchy and the solo is perfect, showcasing two brilliantly layered guitars. The riff after the slow interlude shows once again that Sanchez and Stever really know how to work together to create great music. 05. Crossing The Frame - again, it's catchy, it's got ups and downs, and it has brilliant riffs. Some of my favorite lyrics on the album: "I press the steps I take to cross your door frame if/You decide to answer when my fist swings 'hello'". 06. Apollo I: The Writing Writer - the one minute musical interlude sets the stage for the spiral into maddness that insues in this song. The verses are very foreboding and dark, and the pre-chorus ("I'll make/You wish/You hadn't burned our time before") has one of the most enjoyable riffs to play on guitar. The song reflects the brood that "Welcome Home" established, taking a step away from poppy towards the darkness. 07. Once Upon Your Dead Body - I love this song for it's ability to take dark subject matter, like poisoning someone and watching them die, and present it in a seemingly harmless fashion. The verses and choruses seem friendly and whimsical, then shift to harsh and angry for the outro as Sanchez sings "I hope you die right now/Will you drink my chemical? /And if you cry out loud/It'll only make me feel too good" over pounding guitar and drums. 08. Wake Up - this is where the true genius of the way in which the album was arranged truly shows. This song feels like a break in the maddness of the rest of the album, a calm spot in a troubled sea. Sanchez says in interviews that he wrote this song very quickly when he had to leave his girlfriend in California. He sent it to her and it made her cry. With layers of guitar and synths, "Wake Up" is a very beautiful song. "Mother Superior" on "Volume II" feels a lot more polished and clean, where the edge left on the production of "Wake Up" makes it slightly better. 09. The Suffering - again, a song that takes dark feelings and makes them sound happy. This is the ultimate pop song, but still maintains the feel of a well-written rock song. The main riff is above average, and the chorus mixes in multiple vocals to create a very rich song. 10. The Lying Lies Of Miss Erica Court - the intro/verse of this song is very quick and silent before exploding with a nice guitar riff and a frantically sung "Help! Woah-Oh!" by Sanchez. Another song that catches the "filler" label, but it adds beautifully on to the chord slide out of "The Suffering". 11. Mother May I - the drum beat in this song is very impressive. It differs tremendously from the average beat of the other songs and makes "Mother May I" a shining song where it might've been just "filler". The outro is very straight-forward, leading head on into the frantic maddness of The Willing Wells. 12. The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End - this song is quick, fast-paced, and frantic. Part one of The Willing Wells, it is over seven minutes long and contains many varying parts before the epic finale at "I will not save/Yo-o-o-o-o-o-ur world!". This is a prime example of how production that is not overly polished can still feel very grand and very epic. 13. The Willing Well Ii: From Through The Eyes Of Maddness - I guess you could call this the "title track", though it lacks the radio-friendly pop that is common to "title tracks". The intro guitar parts are very folk-y and cheerful, which doesn't last for too long as Sanchez growls "What is this that you keep sending me boy? /I'm not going to hold your hand here when you walk". I must say I've never heard anyone sound so gleeful while singing "You'll burn in hell while they're digging you out/You'll burn in hell", a point that just adds to the insanity. This song, too, is over seven minutes and is an absolute blast to play on guitar. Frequent rhythym changes and pinch harmonics make this more of a roller coaster ride than a mere song. 14. The Willing Well Iii: Apollo Ii: The Telling Truth - sound familiar? This song is an extension of track six, "Apollo I". The previous "Apollo" marked a point in which the Writer in the story is deciding what must be done, while this "Apollo" is the Writer actually carrying out his plan. The verse riff is slightly different in that it is more distorted, making it feel more frantic and dark. The parts of the song are arranged differently for a grander feel, and there is an extended solo/interlude section that recalls the riff from "Blood Red Summer". At the peak of it's insanity, at the end of the song, the track abruptly shuts off, leading into the final song of this epic masterpiece. 15. The Willing Well Iv: The Final Cut - probably the darkest, most brooding song on the entire album, "The Final Cut" ends this part of the story on a very ominous note. The best line on the album: "If I had my way/I'd crush your face in the door!" Somewhat in the style of "Welcome Home", Travis unleashes an impressive solo, followed by Claudio. Claudio's "Final Cut" solo actually borrows parts from his "Welcome Home" solo. I really love the tone of his guitar during this solo, too. It echoes beautifully as the rest of the song slowly pushes on toward the inevitable end, complete with an eerie child giggling and saying "I love you". 16. Bron Y Aur (hidden track) - on the special edition DVD, Claudio actually records this song himself outside near a creek while his dog splashes around near by. In interview, he explains that this song is sort of like the happy, weird credit music right after a movie. One of the things I tell people when recommending this album is, "It's sad that this is one of the best albums to be recorded in perhaps the past ten years, and hardly anybody has heard it." Each song fits perfectly into it's place, making this album perfect. If any part of this CD were missing, it wouldn't be as amazing. The mixing/production is perfect; each intricate little sound can be clearly heard without over-powering any other aspect of the music. I was very excited to get "Volume II" after hearing this one, but it cannot stand up to the power and emotion behind "Volume I". I bought this album in 2005 and since then, I have never heard an album from any band that has been it's equal. To me, this album is a masterpiece; it's the album I will listen to for the rest of my life. Each time I come back to it, it is exciting and powerful and incredible. I own two copies of this album, but wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. I know this album and this band aren't for everyone, but it is still a highly respectable work from one of the best bands of our generation. // 10

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: pinkfloydfish, on july 12, 2008

Sound: The album starts off with an acoustic number, "The Reaping", that introduces the album well. It is like a narrator's overview of what this album is going to be about. Then the music explodes with "No World for Tomorrow", and from there on out it is an incredible musical journey through their universe. The guitar solos in this album range from heavy metal to classic rock. They also use violin, piano, and other such instruments to add to the sound. A great thing about this band is their incredibly full sound, which is very appropriate for their epic tale. // 9

Lyrics: Their albums all tell a continuing story that they also wrote into a comic book form. They deserve recognition for having the unique idea. It also helps you understand the music if you know the story. Their singer has a very distinct voice, which is something I always value in a band. Their lyrics are also very well written. Although the overall story can be hard to pick out, the lyrics are still meaningful in any context, and they're very poetic and creative. // 9

Overall Impression: An amazing thing about this album is that there is not one low point. There are moments that are more powerful than others, but not one minute feels like it was just thrown in or put there for filler. The only thing I don't like about this album is their use of some strong profanity, which is really a matter of preference. If I had to choose I'd say the highlights are "Mother Superior", "No World for Tomorrow", "The End Complete IV: The Road and the Damned", and "The End Complete V: On The Brink." But there's really not a weak track on this album, and if I could choose all of them, I would. You just can't go wrong with this album. It's got some heavy metal moments, but it's not so heavy that it would drive away most listeners who like softer music. It mixes different styles and heaviness throughout the album, so it's never boring or too similar. If you don't have this album, I strongly suggest that you give it a listen. And if you lose it, buy it again! // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: AdamDK, on july 23, 2008

Sound: The sound on the album is amazing. The way the album opens up with 'Keeping the Blade', and then cuts into 'Always and Never' is fantastic. The string instruments on 'Keeping The Blade' give a nice calm, collective intro to the album, and then they build up towards the end, leading into the next song. Whilst the album maintains an alternative rock style, you can clearly hear the metal influence of bands like Iron Maiden on tracks such as 'Welcome Home' and 'Ten Speed'. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are fantastic. As ever, they are based on the Amory Wars, and have science fiction related themes. The lyrics fit the music perfectly, and the timing between the lyrics and music in some songs is fantastic. As always, Claudio's voice is amazing, with a huge array of vocal keys on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is that it is fantastic. I was never really into Coheed and Cambria, but when on a school trip, I saw the album on sale for 5 and thought it would be worth a listen. I definately made the right choice with it. The album has convinced me that I need to buy some of their older material. The best thing about the album, for me, is the relation between the vocals and guitar parts. They blend perfectly, and are well balanced. Good work Coheed, with a fantastic album. // 9

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness Reviewed by: AaronIsCrunchy, on may 20, 2011

Sound: This group have been likened to My Chem and Rush, but on this album I can't really see anything that likens them to these - they really are in a category of their own. As with all the Coheed & Cambria albums, the songs are based on the Amory Wars graphic novel (which, lets be honest, is just a fancy name for a comic!), and this section of the album follows the break up with Miss Erica Court and running from an ever encroaching virus. The actual sound and genre they come under is prog rock/metal, but this album also uses the acoustic guitar quite prevalently, which is unusual but works. They also use repeating motifs throughout the album, and the story I think really benefits from that. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this album really is rather smashing. They give you a real idea of what is going on in this potentially confusing world that Claudio Sanchez (their guitarist) has created. However, sometimes the lyrics can be a bit strong and it is the only album I have seen (to date) with a "Violent Content" warning below the "Parental Advisory" warning. Sanchez continues with his unexpectedly high voice that he has used throughout the career, that is only occasionally annoying. // 7

Overall Impression: There isn't a huge amount you can compare this with, apart from MAYBE Rush and other Coheed and Cambria albums. My personal favourites on the album are "Welcome Home" and "The Final Cut", but all the songs are good in their own way - even "Keeping The Blade", which is strings, seems to fit in nicely! I love, musically, the way that the guitar pieces work with each other very well, and the solo on "The Final Cut" - OH. MY. GOD. Possibly my favourite ever made, and I'm not just saying that. If I had to make one criticism it would be the changing riffs constantly, as it makes it difficult to learn! Were it stolen, I would definitely rebuy it - it is a fantastic album and would be sorely missed. // 9

More Coheed And Cambria reviews rating latest review