The Second Stage Turbine Blade Review

coheed and cambria: The Second Stage Turbine Blade
Released: Feb 5, 2002
Styles: Emo, Post-Hardcore, Indie Rock, New Prog, Alternative Metal
Label: Equal Vision
The term molten core works better, as debut "The Second Stage Turbine Blade" lacks fluff and accentuates the same positives that made emo pioneers Fugazi great.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
 9.4
The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: Solo Wing, on december 17, 2008

Sound: The Sound of Coheed and Cambria is hard to put a finger on. It's edgy without being in your face, it's soothing at times (Time Consumer) and at others you want to jump out of your seat and play along with it (Delirium Trigger/Everything Evil). The energy that comes off their music is unbelievable and never relents, and you can tell that there was a lot of thought put into each song that was made. The tone of Claudio's guitar is near perfect and is something very different, the rhythm and lead seem to work together perfectly. The drumming is also very impressive, it's not the most technical but the feel and beat is amazing. Maybe most impressive instrumentally (If your not counting the voice) is Mic Todd on the bass, just one listen to Time Consumer will sell you on that. The singing from Claudio Sanchez is very different and is usually a hit or miss for people, but I find it absolutely wonderful. It's extremely unique and the closest thing it sounds like is Rush. That being said this album not only has a great sound but it has a sound that doesn't get repetitive, it's new, fresh, and complete genius and stays true to it's progressive rock roots like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. // 10

Lyrics: This is perhaps the most interesting thing about Coheed And Cambria. Their lyrics tell a sci-fi story called the Amory Wars detailing the Kilgannon family and their struggle to survive, their son's quest for Vendetta, and the fate of the Cosmos. I won't say too much than that because the story is extremely deep. The great thing about most Coheed songs though is they have double meanings so you don't have to be into the story to get something out of them. So with that being said these are some of the most interesting lyrics you will ever listen to. Sometimes they are some most literal lyrics you will hear that actually are coming from one characters mouth ("And she screamed, Claudio! Dear Claudio! I wish, God damn it, we'll make it if you believe!") and other times they are insanely metaphorical and deep ("Hold in your last breath and stare. Assure me your metronome's left arm stick shift is stuck on the right words in your ear."). The lyrics all flow and sound right and like they're in the right place. As I said before you'll most likely either be hit or miss with the singer's voice but even if you don't like the voice you can't deny the uniqueness and the talent it takes to hit and hold some of the notes he sings. // 10

Overall Impression: Most modern day artists pale in comparison to these guys when it comes to technical and creative ability, as well as their live performances which in my opinion are better than the recorded ones. It's hard to pick favorites in an album like this but if I had to recommend songs then I would say listen to Delirium Trigger, Time Consumer, Everything Evil, and God Send Conspirator. Also if you liked the album I would highly suggest seeing them live they're amazing. This CD is breathe of fresh air and I would suggest everyone at least take a look at these guys. // 10

The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 23, 2004

Sound: The best band in the world is Coheed And Cambria. Not to mention this is the best cd in the world. There second cd In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 was okay but this cd makes there second look like a Rufio cd (if you have never heard of Rufio they suck). There sound is complicated with a great rythem guitar and great lead guitar. Claudio voice is compared of that of an 8 year old choir girl except his voice is probably higher. They have no music genre that I can think of they are not emo. Some people would tell you about the story Claudio is making and the four discs are like a soundtrack for it but thats beyond the point. There music is to great to talk about some story. In this cd they are more hardcore and have more of a similarite to there roots (Shabutie). The sound of there music varies at times. You can tell this from the song "Junesong Provision" where the melody goes from hardcore to soft. Overall they have something to offer that other bands don't. // 10

Lyrics: There lyrics come from a story Claudio is making and thats why they are so hard to understand. In this cd, unlike in there second, they actually curse. In "Devil In Jersey City" they use profanity often. In the song they say the F word and S word. Also in "Hearshot Kid Diaster" if you listen closely you can hear a vocalist say "Oh god you're all f--ked up for sure". This could also be a sign of there roots. Overall there words match there melody and are some of the best lyrics I hace ever heard. // 10

Overall Impression: There is no band who could copare to Co And Ca. There are so many of the songs I lide I will just tell you the songs I dislike: "Everything Evil" and "Junesong Provison" (even though I listen to these tracks as much as the other). What I love about the album is how long the songs are because I wish they would never end. I can hoenestly say that there is nothing that I dislike about this album other than the fact it is to adictive. I would like to know why in there second album In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 they don't curse. This could be because now there mainstream and I hate to say it but selling out. But I love them and I would not care if they sold out. For the centimental value of the first Co And Ca cd I bought I would pay a 1000$ ransom to get it back. There is no way I would lose this cd so I don't have to worry about it. // 10

The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: punkrawkus, on september 24, 2004

Sound: Coheed And Cambria are a fresh sound to the emo/prog rock/metal/punk scene. The guitar riffs, courtesy of Claudio Sanchez and Travis Steever, are intricate and hard to duplicate. Another 'high point' is Claudios amazing vocals. The sound resembles a 10 year old boy being kicked in the crotch. Hard. There sound is overall amazing. Vocals, wether sung by Travis or Claudio, or shouted by bassist Micheal Todd, keep the listener hooked. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are meant to be a narrative story for the characters, Coheed And Cambria. They are, at times, very hard to follow, because they go very indepth, and if you dont know it is telling a story, you could get lost very easily. There is some profanity, but not too much. The lyrics pitch matched exactly the guitar playing, and they almost seemed to blend together as one sound at some points. // 10

Overall Impression: No other album can compare to this album. There is no other artist I know of who could pull any of this cd off musically. It is one of the best cds I have ever bought. There are many amazing songs on the album, like Devil In Jersey City, Everything Evil, Time Consumer and Hearshot Kid Disaster. I love everything about this cd. It is in my cd player constantly. Their newer cd is no comparasin to their first effort. If it was lost or stolen, I find whoever stole it, and kick their ass. I'd let them keep it though, so they could hear this amazing band, and I would go get another copy. // 10

The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: Boozer, on september 27, 2004

Sound: Coheed And Cambria's sound is just awesome and very unique, just by hearing it in a passing car or a friend's stereo you can really tell who it is. Their "dueling guitar" style is mesmerizing and sounds perfect together. This style relates to bands such as Rush and Yes. Claudio Sanchez's voice is pretty much undescribeable, all you can say is that it resembles a boy's voice going through puberty while he gets hit in the crotch. Every song on this CD is good, especially: Neverend, Time Consumer, 33 and God Send Conspirator. They way they perform these songs, constantly switching time signatures and different screams and pitches is just crazy and awesome. No song is a dull song for Coheed And Cambria. // 10

Lyrics: The 4 CD's that Coheed And Cambria are scheduled to put out is supposed to be a story. Second Stage Turbine Blade is the second part of this story (the later, In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 is the third) at times the story can be confusing, I would suggest going to the official website for details. Even without knowing the story the lyrics take you to another world and are just amazing. These guys hardly rhyme any of the lines in the songs but they still flow perfectly. Each track is a different chapter in Coheed And Cambria's life and is very important to bringing clarity to the story. There is some profanity, most not needed but it still adds character to the songs. If I can remember right, a few F's and S's and one D word. But like I said, some of them go with the story and adds emotion to the song. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD is amazing, I saw Co & Ca at the Warped Tour and was highly impressed because they didn't sound like anyone else there. All of their songs are impressive, not one song is my favorite but all of them together seem to be just one song because of the way they are written as a story. As a aspiring guitar player their insane yet catchy riffs are fun to try and duplicate although difficult, it's still fun to sit back and listen no matter what time it is or what mood you are in. I would definitly buy this CD again if it got lost or stolen, but I wouldn't buy just one, I would by two to make sure it wouldn't happen again. This CD is one that you really shouldn't pass up. I would also buy their new album also (In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3) which I did actually lose and bought again. This band is amazing! // 10

The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: Zapfire, on october 07, 2008

Sound: Coheed and Cambria have one of the most unique sounds in rock these days. The way the guitars almost talk to each other, plus the great drumming and bassline, and of course the vocals of Claudio Sanchez come together keeps you listening all the time. This is the first album by the group, part 2 in the story of "The Amory Wars" which was written by Claudio. The Second Stage Turbine Blade is one of my favorite albums of all time because of the pure genious of it all. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good, all corresponding to the craziness of the Amory Wars story. This, being their first album, is not their very best work, however the lyrics are still very nice. Many songs are fun to sing along to, and are easily remembered. However, some songs take some listening to in order to get that effect. The vocals are in my opinion just plain amazing. Claudio's ability to hit the high notes back in the day was amazing. I don't think the album would be anywhere near my favorite album without the greatness of his voice. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is one word: Fantastic. The guitars, vocals, drums, even bass come together in an awesome harmony that creates one of my favorite albums of all time. Although there aren'nt really any "technical" parts to the guitars, the simplicity of it all really adds to the album in a way. I would say that every song on the album, excluding "Hearshot Kid Disaster" is amazing. The absolute best being "Delirium Trigger", "Everything Evil", and "Junesong Provision". Yet all the others are up there as incredible songs as well. If this album was stolen, I would probably just go buy another, because whoever stole it, stole a masterpeice. // 10

The Second Stage Turbine Blade Reviewed by: Skyvalve2012, on july 31, 2012

Sound: When the piano kicks in on the intro, the title track of this album, science fiction invokes you. And that is the way it is suppose to be. Coheed And Cambria's first album, "The Second Stage Turbine Blade", is in my opinion their best release of their early years. With guitars that sound like At The Drive-In, Iron Maiden, Fuzagi, and a bit of Rush, drum and bass that groove on forever, and a singer who can be emotional to the max (Thank you, Mr. Sanchez!), it's honestly hard not to like this album. A full on barrage of space cleans ("Time Consumer"), evil sounding riffs ("Everything Evil", "Hearshot Kid Disaster") and everchanging drums (Mr. Joshua Eppard) help too. // 9

Lyrics: As a concept album lover, I really love The Amory Wars story that goes with this album (the comic, music, or novel). May be dark, emotional and creepy, but it is amazing and tears though your soul. Guitarit and Vocalist Claudio Snachez sings of being force to murder, lost love, and a guy named Mayo. Weird, yes. Awesome, yes! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, my personal favorite Co/Ca release. Mike and Chris (the producers) make it sound like it is supposed to be: Spacey, raw, and emotional. If "Time Consumer" or "Delirium Trigger" don't get you excited... At least listen to "God Sends Conspirater"... You will be brought to tears. This album is worth it! // 10

More Coheed And Cambria reviews rating latest review
+ The Afterman: Descension 9.1 02/20/2013
+ The Afterman: Ascension 9.2 11/27/2012
+ Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness 9 05/20/2011
+ Year Of The Black Rainbow 8.6 05/28/2010