A Rush Of Blood To The Head Review

artist: coldplay date: 10/21/2011 category: compact discs
coldplay: A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Released: Aug 27, 2002
Genre: Rock
Tones: Melancholy, Earnest, Literate, Intimate, Poignant, Bittersweet, Complex, Wistful, Plaintive, Reflective, Lush
Styles: Britpop, Dream Pop
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.6
 8.7
 8.4
A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: tomington, on june 15, 2005

Sound: The first time I heard this album, I wasn't so sure about it. I've got parachutes and I wasn't sure if this was as good, but I've come to realise that this album has more compassion, energy and confidence than before. The sound itself is amazing; Coldplay manage to mix so many different styles like pop, rock, alternative etc into one and I find it really hard to actually put them into a catagory; they are unique. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Martin has one hell of a voice. His scale is impressive and he sings powerfully and energetically. The lyrics he writes are briliant; for example the way in which 'politic' talks about fair trade. The music acompanies the lyrics perfectly, sometimes subtle key changes amplify Martin's voice or dampen in accordingly; it's awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I have to say, I love this album. It's one of my all time favorites as every track is different and exciting. I could listen to it for ever! The music appeals to all age groups and there is something in it for everyone. Well done to Coldplay for re-introducing the piano into pop music but I think that the guitar should play a slightly larger part than the one it does. // 8

A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2005

Sound: I was first introduced to Coldplay in Germany. Their new album had just come out and I was blown away. We listened to it on the long car rides and I was hooked. I can't get enough of them. Unfortunatly that's just my opinion. The music style is somewhat of a mix between a mellow and upbeat sound. Some songs like Amsterdam and a Rush Of Blood To The Head are calm and mellow. On the other hand songs like Clocks and Politik are fast upbeat songs. Please check them out, they grow on you! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are true and calming I'm not sure I understand all of them because I'm only 14 years old. The lyrics work great with the music. They really blend with the it. Mostly I get the impression they are love songs but thats just me. // 8

Overall Impression: Coldplay is my favorite band by far. Nothing else compares to Coldplay. I was most impressed with Clocks, Amsterdam, Warning Sign and God Put A Smile On Your Face. I love Coldplay's tone and just the music in general. I don't really like that to me sometimes I'm listenig to it and I come across a chord and I think, that doesn't really work to good right there but I can't criticize because I am not half as good as they are. If I had them stolen (which actully happened to me once) I went out and bought them staight away first thing. // 10

A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: Trifonas, on october 21, 2011

Sound: The second Coldplay album, and their best, in my opinion, suggests a new sound for the band, pretty much different from their debut ("Parachutes") and it shows that the members of the group didn't try to raise their bank accounts, but that they searched new music. The album was made in 2002 and it's the best of the year. I would described it as Pop(ular), because it has soft songs such as "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face", "Clocks", "The Scientist" and more. The first song "Politik" enters with a smashing piano/bass intro and begins atmospheric the album. The second song "In My Place" is warm and soft, very nice to the listener's ear. The third song "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" is tuned in Drop C sharp is pretty psychedelic and it has an enthusiastic riff. The fourth song is "The Scientist" a great song with great piano. The fifth song is the most known song here "Clocks". Then the next four songs ("Daylight", "Green Eyes", "Warning Sign" and "A Whisper") are just a waste of time in my opinion and we go to the masterpiece of the album "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". The song is just amazing and inspiring. Its chorus is just great. The album winds up with "Amsterdam" a good song. Also you can understand Coldplay's influence from Radiohead. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Martin was probably deeply in love with somebody, because the lyrics are full of romantism and love. He sings very good, however sometimes, if you don't pay attention to what you hear you start to get annoyed a bit. The lyrics match a lot to the music so it's a very well - structured and worked album. // 8

Overall Impression: In the 00's Coldplay are one of the best bands in the world. Soft music, romantic lyrics and good melodies. However they sometimes do the same thing in every song. The most impressive song is the masterpiece "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" and its cover is just amazing and creative. If it were lost, I would definitely buy it again and if anyone wants to listen to Coldplay this is the best way to start. // 8

A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 30, 2003

Overall Impression: Until I recently stood back and questioned my thoughts on 'A Rush of Blood to the Head', if asked of my opinion, my reflex reaction would have been a glowing response. With the new year just around the corner, and so many trashy singles clogging up the charts (the only catalyst for their success being media type and promotion) I would have without doubt suggested that the album punctuated a very mixed and clearly changing year for popular music. Reviews of the album came thick and fast when launched, the majority of which being wholly positive. However, I must admit that I simply cannot now put my finger on what made the album so great. Indeed, is it so great? I didn't even immediately connect with 'In my Place', but a friend recommended I listen to the album. At the time, like many, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having left it on the shelf for quite some time after the 'honeymoon period', the later mass realisation by the public that 'The Scientist' was a beautiful track, inspired me to listen again. As with many albums, I began to listen only to favourite tracks. Eventually, though reviewed by many as a half-hearted and basic song, I continued to listen to Green Eyes on a regular basis. At the fringes of his voice I heard a level of genuineness that is often drained out of a songs original conception by the recording process. However, as the year draws to a close, even this album has not left me with any enduring 'classics'. I now simply hear repetition in Green Eyes, and never listen to the other tracks. As with many albums, though 'married' in our hearts when heard for the first two times, the divorce period has set in. I no longer hear a beautiful album, but a dreary set of lyrics that fuse into one. A rush of blood, for me, proves that only exceptional genius stays as fresh in our hearts a lifetime after it first touched our ears. Sadly, for me, this album does not offer such genius. // 6

A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2004

Sound: I think this album is a most have for the more soulfull listener if I may say that. If you are a fan of heavier music than this is not an album for you. I think this album has a mix of songs that can make you jump up and down and songs that are slower and deeper. They really do a great job of build ups for example in songs like "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face," "The Scientish" and "Rush Of Blood To The Head." Though there is great melodies in this album it sounds like they might of out down themselves and made it too sweet. Daylight is a welcome change to the regular sounding songs with it's interesting sound. I would have to say coldplay uses the traditional style of song writing just take it a step above the rest. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are decent. In some of the songs you don't really know what Chris Martin is talking about but he really goes deep in "The Scientist" and "Green Eyes". There are some well written songs and some of the lyrics are interesting to hear however I don't see the lyrics as absolutely fantastic. // 8

Overall Impression: Coldplay definately has a style of their own. They like to end differently then their verse or chorus as seen in "Politik", "Robtth", "Daylight", "Scientist", and "Amsterdam". What's good about this album is some songs you gradually come to like and you switch from song to song being your favorite. I really thoroughly enjoyed this album and am hopeful that their next will be better. If stolen I would definately replace it. // 10

A Rush Of Blood To The Head Reviewed by: punk4ever89y, on march 24, 2005

Sound: Man I love coldplay the sound is amazingly done. The deep dark depressing feel is perfect for cold nights or bouts of unplanned depression. I like the way the band uses many different sound and ambiences to personify their sound. It makes me feel good to listen to the songs about depression. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and meaningfull with a hint of mellowdrama. All the lyrics make you feel for the guy singing and the videos are good too. If you ever catch one on TV. The singer himselfs voice is unexplainable. His voice can hit high highs and low lows coming up overall to a unique sound. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't listened to Coldplay's other albums but this album is good for first listeners after I listened to it I was an instant fan. Not my favorite but a good listen. The best song on the album is the scientist which is a perfect depressioin song. I love everything about it and would certainly buy it if I lost it. I would buy it over and over. // 10

More Coldplay reviews rating latest review
+ Prospekt's March [EP] 9.5 03/30/2012