Parachutes Review

coldplay: Parachutes
Released: July 10, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Britpop, Indie Rock, Dream Pop, Indie Pop
Coldplay is a band of young musicians who are still honing their sweet harmonies on the debut release Parachutes.
 8.6
 8.3
 8.9
Parachutes Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: This is definetley Coldplay's best album. My favorite tracks are Don't Panic, Everything's Not Lost and Spies. Chris's piano and voice in Trouble and Everything's Not Lost is truely remarkable. This Coldplay's rawest album, with the other two maybe having too many insturments and background music. The end of Trouble when Chris sings "they spun a web for me" is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Don't Panic is the best song lyrically, that has a great meaning in today's world. Everything's Not Lost is a great track to put on when you are feeling down about yourself or in a bad mood. Parachutes is a short but sweet and I find Sparks to be very underrated. Chris got the word "yellow" for the song "Yellow" from the yellow pages that were sitting on a table in the room he was sitting in when he was writing the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is surely worth the $15 you will pay and is just great simple music. It definitely compares with Oasis's first and best album "Definitely Maybe." These songs were written to show emotion and not with the intention of being the best band in the world. If it was stolen I would definitely buy it again in a heartbeat. // 10

Parachutes Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: This album is defiantly one of the better debut albums in the past five years. The sound on it is great it mixes Chris's soft vocals with acoustic and guitar work which comes off amazingly well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics as with all of Coldplay's music are doing extremely well. I don't think I need to get into specifics about their lyrics because chances are if you are reading this and considering buying the album, you already know how impressive the lyrics are. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall all I think this is Coldplay's best record. I have not heard all of the tracks on "X&Y" but from what I have heard it really dosent compare to "Parachutes." The most impressive songs on the album in my opinion are: "Shiver," "Everything Is Not Lost" and "We Never Change." If this CD were lost or stolent I would defiantley buy it again beacuse I think it is one of the best albums I own. // 10

Parachutes Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2004

Sound: Dreary, dreary stuff. It could have been saved by Trouble, maybe even by Yellow, but the remaining tracks on Parachutes were barely worth writing. Obviously this is only my humble opinion, but with the aforementioned exceptions this album seems all too middle of the road, and if this cd hadnt been stolen from me, I think thats where I'd leave it. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are recognisably poor, as though a group of students smoked some illicit substances and then thought it would be funny to write the most utter drivel imaginable. Oh well, they've been on the radio, so they'll survive anyway no doubt. // 2

Overall Impression: Did it compare to other albums? Well it did, but only to serve as a reminder of precisely how good music can actually be. Silence compared to this album is like being cuddled up next to a fire compared to lying in a cowpat during a sleet shower. // 4

Parachutes Reviewed by: naydoe, on september 02, 2004

Sound: If you are looking for head banging power chords and gimongous distortion than of course you will be dissapointed with Coldplay's debut cd. But if you appreciate soulful tunes of love and life, after the manner of (some)Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, even Dave Matthews! Then and only then will you see the real beauty of this mellow, laid-back album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are not astounding, but as far as first time efforts are concerned, they are meaningful and have the annoying habit of getting themselves stuck in your head. Songs like Shiver, Don't Panic and Trouble are all stellar tunes that you can continually listen to and still find them awesome as ever not to mention the mega-hit "Yellow". // 6

Overall Impression: Admittedly Coldplay's debut album is not as strong as their second attempt "A Rush Of Blood To The Head". My advice to you is to buy "Arobtth" and if you like what you hear, pick up "Parachutes". But you can't go wrong with the tracks Shiver, Trouble, Don't Panic, Everything's Not Lost and of course Yellow. If it was stolen I'd definetly buy it again. For 15 bucks it's worth it. // 8

Parachutes Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Sound: This album and band for that matter would have to receive the most unjust criticism of any other album or band out there. The sound on this album is absolutely amazing. This is definitely Coldplay and their best. Every tack is beautifully crafted and you can feel and hear the singer's emotion on every track. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have always been what impresses me most about Coldplay. The most impressive lyrics on the album come from the tracks "We Never Change," "Trouble" and "Shiver." // 10

Overall Impression: This is without a doubt Coldplays best album to date. My favourite tracks on the album are "Shiver," "Trouble," We Never Change" and the beautiful but very short title track "Parachutes." The thing I love about the album is the emotion it displays and how you can feel and hear the effort that went into making it. If this CD were lost or stolen, I would buy it again in an instant. // 10

Parachutes Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2005

Sound: I love Coldplays sound on the album. Perhaps they have a bit too much of the same mellowed out sound, and perhaps they could be a bit more upbeat on songs other than shiver, but I enjoy it very much. // 8

Lyrics: What impresses me the most about Coldplay is how well their lyrics fit in with the music. Spies is an absolutely perfect music for the lyrics, as well as Trouble, Don't Panic, Everything's Not lost, Shiver and almost everyting else on the album. The lyrics flow well, and they all around great. // 10

Overall Impression: I think Parachutes is a far better album than A Rush Of Blood To The Head. I love how the singer and guitarist seem to play so well togethr, it is amazing the chemistry they have there. The most impressive song on the album is Everythings Not Lost. It just fills me with emotion every time I hear it. If it were lost or stolen I'd be first to the store. // 10

More Coldplay reviews rating latest review
+ Prospekt's March [EP] 9.5 03/30/2012