X&Y Review

coldplay: X&Y
Released: Jun 7, 2005
Label: Capitol
Genre: Rock
As one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of the year Coldplay does not disappoint with X&Y.
 Lyrics: 7.4
 7.9
 7.7
X&Y Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2005

Sound: This album is quite different to anything they've done before, and is much more atmospheric and uplifting than their other albums, as shown in the opening track 'Square One'. No two tracks sound even remotely similiar and there's a lot of variation of styles as you go through the album. The lead guitar shines through more often in songs such as 'White Shadows', 'Fix You' and 'Talk'. The drums also have a lot more to do with the music now than they used to The songs are put together very well and it's hard to get bored or uninterested when you hear the songs again and again. Some of the riffs and chord changes are so sweet to the ear, and every song seems to tell a story, lyrically and musically. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are not brilliant but are not bad either. There is obviously a lot of feeling and emotion in them in songs such as 'Fix You' and 'What If' but sometimes the words can seem quite meaningless and stupid such as 'Speed of Sound' (although a great song). In many of the songs, people will be able to understand and relate to what is being sung about as it refers to many things in life such as of course the obvious, love. Chris' vocal on this album are superb, pushing the boundaries of what he can do with his voice. His range is excellent both high and low and he uses a lot more falsetto to give the songs their atmospheric sound. // 8

Overall Impression: My favourite Coldplay album is probably A Rush Of Blood To The Head, but X&Y certainly comes close. All of the songs are brilliantly written and thought out, with all of the band coming together to produce a precise but immense sound. My personal favourite tracks are 'Fix You', 'Square One', 'What If', and ' A Message'. I think that this album is totally unique from anything else I've heard and as I like a wide range of musical styles I can safely say that I've never heard anything like it. You can't really put a name to it. It's just Coldplay. // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: Rivers, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Despite what many critics would have you believe, Coldplay's sound has evolved in this album while at the same time staying characteristically coldplay. From the very first track "Square One," one notices the heavier use of synthesizers in comparison to previous albums giving their work a sound similar to Bowie or U2. Nevertheless (I'm not a big fan of bowie or U2), Coldplay seem to be able to incorporate these new emphasis on synthasizers very well into their music giving a refreshing sound that isnt too common these days. // 10

Lyrics: Firstly, Chris Martin's vocal abilities shine through as per usual. The biggest flaw in X&Y though are the lyrics. All though there are some cases of excellent lyrics such as in "What If" or "Square One," a lot of the lyrics lack the depth that existed in earlier albums such as parachutes and in some songs it almost seems as though Martin picked the first rhyming would he could find; this is evident in songs such as "White Shadows" and "Til Kingdom Come" (the hidden track on the album). Overall I would say Coldplay's lyrics are less impressive in this album than in previous ones. // 6

Overall Impression: Coldplay's brilliance shines through in this album due to their ability to reinvent themselves while sticking to their roots. Songs worth listening to in particular include "Square One," "What If," and "X&Y". My one complaint with this album is the lack of acoustic and mostly guitar based songs that abounded previous albums, nevertheless I feel this album is a credit to the band for they do not seem content to rest on their laurels. // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: ewakio, on june 14, 2005

Sound: Coldplay's come a long way since Parachutes and unfortunately it's been in the wrong direction. Instead of developing their creative side in terms of their sound and their style, they've found one cliched and over-used style and stuck with it for the entire album. Every song on the album uses the same keyboard chord background (as in "Clocks" on Rush) sound and thus there isn't much variety. The guitarist Jon Buckland's riffs for the most part are corny and boring. The band follows the formula for the stadium rock song that they've come accustomed to since "Clocks" became such a hit. The bass has improved significantly on this album and for the most part plays a bigger role in the band. Will Champion's drumming has gotten much better and it sounds a lot more clean. As a whole, the band has a much bigger sound than they've ever had, they have more things going on at once (or it might just seem that way because of the keyboard background), and they use fewer real instruments to provide the base for their songs. Instead of relying on the guitars for the base of their songs, they've used synthetic sounds instead. // 6

Lyrics: X&Y's lyrics are for the most part OK. They're not clever or witty and all seem to deal with the same subject of Chris Martin's feelings, and hardly about anything else. My favorite song on the album, "Twisted Logic" is a powerful song about the modern world, and is the only song on the album that deals with something other than Martin's emotions. For this reason, it stands out from the rest of the album. Martin's singing is much improved on this album and his range has increased significantly. He sounds as though he takes no effort at all in singing, and always seems to find the right note to sing with the rest of the band at the right time. // 6

Overall Impression: As a whole, the album is vast and expansive, their biggest album to date. However, the same sound thats found in every song makes the album boring and uninteresting. In my opinion, this album is a step in the wrong direction. They're trying to be the biggest band in the world with their sound and popularity, but the people in the band don't match that image. They're not overly exciting and they aren't as eccentric as the other big bands in history. // 6

X&Y Reviewed by: sirpsycho85, on june 14, 2005

Sound: Even if you didn't have awfully high expectations after the excellent previous albums, this a real let down. A few songs are worth your time, namely Kingdom Come, Fix You, and Square One for their relative originality, and Speed Of Sound for it being clocks 2.0. The sound hasn't really changed, it's just the lack of good songs. // 6

Lyrics: I used to be fine with Coldplay's lyrics, and in an age where bands like Three Day's Grace pass for music, I can't consciously give Coldplay any less than three stars. In any case, nothing impressive here, nothing like on the last two albums. Coldplay used to have a hopeful sort of woe-is-me vibe that fit very well. However, it seems like they're taking upon a woe-is-us feel trying to share their problems more with the listener than in the past, and I don't feel they've succeeded. // 6

Overall Impression: It's not often that I actually agree with a Rolling Stone review, but it was spot on. This isn't terrible music, but that is because the general blandness prevents anything from sticking out as really bad. There's just nothing to push it over any other halfway decent band out there. In a way, it's the same "maturity" that Green Day had with American Idiot. I mean this musically. I'm sure Coldplay means everything they say, and their hearts are in the right place. They are known as one of the most polite and friendly bands out there. However, this just isn't a good album. Listen to both their other albums, and their EPs, and if you can deal with an entire album that's on the level of the worst songs they recorded before, then you know you are a huge fan and go ahead and buy this. Othewise, spend the money on a concert ticket, 'cause they still rock out live. // 6

X&Y Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 17, 2005

Sound: Wow. That's what I said when I heard Clocks for the first time. I bought A Rush Of Blood to the Head, listened the hell out of it, then put it away for quite some time. A year later, me and a friend were at the mall when he heard The Scientist playing on the radio. We instantly went home and covered it with an alternative rock edge, sortof. Then, a month ago I heard Speed of Sound. Again, I said wow. What a simple melody yet so big. There is no other way to describe Coldplay and their new album but big. The stadium rock aspects of this album just makes me anxious for when their US Tour finally gets here. Although, I just recently started pratcing piano (Clocks was the first song I learned). I wanted there to be more piano in this album, but the lite-rock riffs that are in the style of The Edge's playing are a very welcome addition. // 8

Lyrics: Chris Martin, however "hippy" ("make fair trade" campaign as an example, which there is nothing wrong with) he is, is one of the most talented vocalists out there. When I tried to sing the most powerful song on the CD, "Fix You," my voice couldn't come close to the high notes he hits. The lyrics are very easy to relate to; they clearly point out Martin's Indie music background. The most lyrically strong songs on this album are: "What If?," "Fix You," "Talk" and "Swallowed In The Sea." // 10

Overall Impression: I loved AROBTTH, and I don't have Parachutes, but as soon I get some cash I'm for sure buying that as well. Maybe I'm giving Coldplay too much credit but this is a great album. Pretty much all of the songs are good except "X&Y," "A Message" and "Til' Kingdom Come" which sound like they were thrown together really quickly which only makes them decent. If someone stole this album I'd let them keep it. Maybe they'll come to like it and quit their evil ways. I'd probably shank them and take it back, though. // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: ashley420, on july 05, 2005

Sound: The sound of the CD is awesome! This is the first Coldplay album that I bought. About 2 or 3 songs are acoustic on here. This is something you want to listen to when your just like driving or relaxing but then again you can tottaly jam to this CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good but are kind of hard to make out what he is trying to say but that's only for some songs on the album. The music goes very well with the lyrics, it's almost perfect and Chris' singing is hard to explain but in a good way. And I just love the way his voice sounds. // 8

Overall Impression: There are a few very impressive songs on here like Talk, White Shadows, and Low. I love that I liked every single song on the album and there's not really anything to hate about it. I would totally buy another copy if it was stolen. This CD is just to awesome to pass up. // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2006

Sound: Problems ensue as the band doesn't do anything new with the sound. Still the low-end bass sounds are more resonant than the higher parts. The band delves deep into a space-like territory. The guitars are great in key songs. The break in "Talk" makes the song. But overall the songs are bland. "Fix You" might be one of Coldplay's best songs but it's the only song on this album that's due for repeat listening. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are trite. Anybody can write this stuff. // 1

Overall Impression: With better lyrics, this cd would have been better. But it's not all Chris Martin's fault. The songs go nowhere. "The Hardest Part" makes an attempt to be different but ends up sounding like a Keane outtake. "What If" has the blandest lyrics of the all, "What if there was no wrong... no right?" Even Martin has admitted that his shit stinks to high heavens as far as lyricism goes. They buckle underneath the pressure of trying to be the next U2. If you want good Coldplay, look to A Rush Of Blood to the Head. But this is not good Coldplay, this is substandard mediocre stuff that yuppies like. Huge disappointment. // 3

X&Y Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: Well it's a complete turn around yet its Coldplay. Johnny Buckland has delved into the big "stadium" type rock riffs The Edge style that really can shake your bones like those on "White Shadows" and "Talk." Chris still hits the right chords on the piano and on the title track "Speed Of Sound" he displays how less is more. As for his voice, its range is amazing. He hits the high and low ones on every song especially "Fix You." Bassist Guy Berryman still gives the song the lower drive but unfortunately we don't hear the great bass rifts like on "Daylight" from Rush. The biggest innovation is Will Champion the drummer. He has made full use of his kit this time around from a Sunday Bloody Sunday type sound on Square one to a dance feeling on White Shadows to plain big drumming on Fix You. Their sound is Coldplay yet its more now-Speed Of Sound is the improvement of the huge Clocks and that riff on Talk is, for me, the biggest sound innovation in the band-it's big and it's rock! // 10

Lyrics: Chris outshines himself. He sings with deep emotion about his confusion in his life and in the world, about love about not loving, about music and never too much that you know exactly what he means. His voice is as flexible as any out there and while not the most powerful is the only voice that could fit Coldplay. // 10

Overall Impression: "Talk" is the track off this album. Used partly from the band Kraftwork it is a huge leap forward for the band. It is Joshua Tree-only better! Each track takes you with it as it builds into an anthemic piece of history. Just when you think Fix You will be a slow ballad like The Scientist the most amazing riff kicks in and the song ends on a huge note. If you love Coldplay you will not be disappointed! This is their best out of the lot and will be a hard act to follow up if at all possible. Listen to: Square One, White Shadows, Fix You, Talk, Speed Of Sound and Low. // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: americanmovie23, on june 18, 2005

Sound: The sound of X&Y is very much like their last 2 records. It is just a very mellow mix of harmonized voclas, strings, piano, and weird effects from guitars. It gets kind of repetitive though by song number nine on the record. However, the sound is why I love Coldpay. I love U2, and Coldplay is the U2 of the 21st century. However, they do need to branch out the sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't really all that good. They are just really really really boring. The first time I listened to this album all the way through I fell asleep. I think that is because of the lyrcs. It's just the same old formula. Once again they need to branch out. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is no where near the depth and awesomness of A Rush Of Blood To The Head. I think that all great bands mess up one time or another in their career, and I think that this album is it for Coldplay. It is still a good album but not as good as it could have been. However, if it were stolen or scratched I would buy it again just because I have their first two albums and I love them. It would just be to fullfill my Coldplay library. // 6

X&Y Reviewed by: Wishyouwerehere, on july 19, 2005

Sound: There have been complaints that X&Y and (Coldplay's biggest hit) A Rush Of Blood To The Head sound the same. When I bought the album, I was cautiously optimistic that it would be vintage Coldplay. I got my wish. From the streaming guitars in 'Square One' to the powerful, ballad-like ending of 'Fix You' (which I'm sure that will be the closer to their tour this year). 'Speed Of Sound' sounds strangely similar to Coldplay's mega-hit, 'Clocks' but is somehow hauntingly different. Similar enough to remind you of 'Clocks', but yet different enough to consider it a different song in itself. My only complaint about Colplay's sound is that on this record, they use these strange harmonics, which is not only annoying, but they take away from the song. Be prepared to wait 10-20 seconds for the actual intro to a song. // 8

Lyrics: This is my main Coldplay complaint. These lyrics range from above average to absolutley dreadful. For example, in 'Square One' Chris Martin inquires "Is there anybody out there who... is lost and scared and lonely too?" First of, how in the world are you lost, scared, and lonely? You're married to Gweneth Paltrow, one of the hottest women in Hollywood. If I was married to Gweneth Paltrow, I would be sure not to be lost, scared, or lonely. He seems like he tries to rhyme lyrics with the first thing that comes to his head. When Martin promises to "write a song, a hundred miles long," it's romantic, but any girl would rather him not. Especially if he's going to talk about how he's lonely, when he's not. // 6

Overall Impression: Highlights: Square One, Fix You, Speed Of Sound, A Message, Swallowed In The Sea (despite the bad lyrics, it's a good song), Twisted Logic (the sole song with really good lyrics), Til Kingdom Come. // 8

X&Y Reviewed by: jhayehidio, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Well, Coldplay's music can simply be described as "perfect." And, they're even more going pass this perfectness as they offer their 4th album, X&Y. Some say this is Coldplay's best album ever. But I rather say that this is the most creative and most radical album they ever produced. It's just basically because of the way they evolved from the seemingly "sweet" band of before to a more "adult" one this time. We can see it by the way their music turned to something deeper. Their use of more synthesizers this time must have been one of the factors. And maybe, the more inert whinings as shown in their songs like "What If," "X&Y" and "White Shadows" contributed even more to this very fact. Just too perfect sound! // 10

Lyrics: Many say that their lyrics in this album aren't too witty at all unlike of their earlier albums. They say that they write just for compliance. But I'm thinking the other way. I think that what they were writing were just pure poetry, the playful use of words. I don't think that Martin was too indulged with the pleasures of living with former Ms. Paltrow. His being creative, lyrically speaking, is still there my friends. We can see it in such songs like "What If," "Fix You" and "Swallowed In The Sea." // 9

Overall Impression: This "X&Y" album, I think, shouldn't be compared with their earlier albums since they were still "Colplay" this time. I think that this album could be one of the best albums of the year. How Martin sang was remarkable, how Mr. Guitarist guitared was perfect, how Mr. Bassist bassed was great, and how Mr. Drummer drummed was outstanding. Finally, I would just like to congratulate Coldplay for offering another great and perfect record. You're all now beyond reach! Thanks for producing such great songs in this album that became my favorites. "What If" was impressive and also "White Shadows," "Fix You," "A Message," "'Til Kingdom Come," "Swallowed In The Sea" and "Twisted Logic." All perfect! Two big thumbs up! // 10

X&Y Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 21, 2006

Sound: I have been listening to X&Y for well over a year and I only really feel I can write an honest review about it now. The reason for this is that it takes a long time to get this album and unfortunately you only really 'Get It' after seeing the tracks played live, which I was fortunate enough to do a month back. There are the standout tracks that give you immediate satisfaction 'Fix You' and 'Swallowed In The Sea' but it's only when you really listen to the others that you really get a feel for X&Y. Each track is like a juicy orange, with so many layers to peel back only to discover another nuance that twangs on my musical string. It is a much bigger layered album than Rush and Paracutes and it does represent a musical shift for them. A lot of people compare Coldplay's sound to Radiohead and while the similarities are there, Coldplay represents a much more accessible version of this genre. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Martin isn't the greatest vocalist, never has been, never will be. However he does put what he's got the great use. A lot of falsetto here but it adds to mos of the tracks where I would usually find falsetto just plain annoying. Lyrically, well it goes from brilliant to not so great. There are some moving lines and some "Huh?" lines as well. But nothing sounds as though it was written by a ukrainian whose learnt english from reading the back of bus passes, they lyrics flow well even if there meaning isn't exactly apprent. // 7

Overall Impression: This is definately there most accomplished work to date, obviously there are always the fans who don't think a bands sound should stray from the original but what's the point if your going to just produce the same stuff over and over? As I said this album comes into it's own live, and while I loved it before it just makes sense seeing it performed live. // 9

X&Y Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on march 12, 2007

Sound: Coldplay have produced three albums now and they all are pretty much the same in how good they all are. They've kept their sound through all three of their albums over the last three years, there hasn't been much change about them. Most people might of wanted to see some difference. The guitar is trash, they don't really rock with the guitar. The drummer is good though. Not really good enough riffs on guitar. Very good choruses. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good but I think I could write better ones myself for some of them. Lyric wise they aren't actually too bad if you look them up. The singer is very suited to the music and his style. He really puts a lot of expression onto his face if you see these guys live. He does sound a bit dull and boring sometimes as somebody commented and I agree. He plays good piano. The slow songs have good meanings and stories. There are some high notes and he sings them perfectly. // 7

Overall Impression: Coldplay are what I'd call 'very good' but a bit weird at the same time. There's a few acoustic tracks in there that are OK, but I prefer the slow ones, well they don't really have any upbeat ones. There are a few videos of theirs that are good. This album's unique, that's all I have to say. The most impressive songs from the album are: 'Square One', 'White Shadows', 'Fix You', 'Talk' and finally 'Speed of Sound.' I wouldn't buy it again if I lost this. But great live act. Good album. // 8

X&Y Reviewed by: Peter Kroeger, on may 18, 2007

Sound: A new image. That's what I think Coldplay wanted with this album. It worked although I think they missed something. Neither albums from Coldplay are to be compared to eachother. All three of them stand on their own. 'Parachutes' and 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' are pieces of gorgeous perfection. X&Y misses the atmosphere which PArachutes and A rush of blood knew to create. They still make wonderful songs but they miss the spark. The elan of that made Yellow, Trouble, The Scientist, Clocks, such great songs. That made you actually listen to all those songs over and over again. The creativity in AROBTTH in songs like A whisper, Daylight, God put a smile upon your face is nowhere to be found on X&Y. Still most of the songs are catchy and very suitable for Chris Martin's voice. That is what X&Y still makes a good album but not as great as the rest of them. // 7

Lyrics: Songs like 'Fix You', 'A message', 'Swallowed In The Sea' are songs that you know mean a lot to Chris Martin. He always knows how to put his feelings into words and never to miss it's effect on people. The words match the songs and what he did to Johnny CAsh his 'Til Kingdom Come' is fantastic. You have to like his voice. if you don't you're not destined to like Coldplay, unfortunately for you. They are a band that made it into the History of music and if you ask me they earn it more than ever. // 10

Overall Impression: People always compare Coldplay with Oasis or U2, but what they do is actually name 3 different genres. Let me compare Nirvana with Pearl Jam en Silverchair. Coldplay stands on it's own as much as Oasis or U2 does. During the their history they've made a lot of songs that you can't capture into one specific genre. X&Y is not an album which will go into their history. It's not a 'WAUW' feeling you get afterwards. I had more of an, yeah ok. Not bad feeling. It's catchy but it has it's highs and lows. You have to see them live to discover the impact of the album. The songs from X&Y make it very well live. I saw them in Antwerp a year ago and it was wonderful. The feelings you had during 'Swallowed In The Sea' and the shivers you got during X&Y were unexplainable. Still I was somewhat let down by the album but I know they will keep on making great music and that hopefully the next will be a masterpiece again. // 6

X&Y Reviewed by: Robbiekeano, on april 10, 2008

Sound: The band have perfected the grand instrumental statement that has been evolving from their first recordings. The major shift is that these songs speak of fixing, hoping, and dreaming of a better tomorrow. It all adds up to beautifully inspiring music. There is a uniformly high level of quality among the 13 tracks on X&Y, but some tracks still stand out. The shift from funereal organ backing to anthemic guitar is sonically arresting midway through "Fix You" lending a grand sense of power to the closing lyrics. The band makes the first single "Speed Of Sound" seem nearly effortless. It is a fitting stargazing first cousin to A Rush Of Blood To the Head's masterpiece "Clocks." "What If" quite effectively showcases the endearing fragility of the upper range of Chris Martin's voice. // 9

Lyrics: The mood of Coldplay's last album A Rush Of Blood To the Head is probably best summed up in the gorgeous melancholy of "In My Place" and it's words of being lost and scared. X&Y kicks off at "Square One" with vocalist Chris Martin asking "is there anywhere you wanna go? Anything you wanna know?" He proclaims the "future's for discovering." Perhaps marriage to Gwyneth Paltrow and the birth of Apple have given him a new outlook on the world.As a lyricist, family man Martin certainly has lots to scribble down these days but, alas, he's no Morrissey. Intriguingly oblique at best, trite at worst (see Swallowed In The Sea), if it's broken, lost or vulnerable, Chris is still your man to sing about it. Nevertheless, there's plenty on X&Y for Coldplay's insipid disciples Snow Patrol, Keane and Embrace to feast upon for years, god help us. // 8

Overall Impression: Some listeners may complain about the similarity of many of these songs to each other, but when a band has perfected and honed its basic style to this degree, it is difficult to complain. The anthemic style of much of Coldplay's music has enlivened politically charged rock music from Pink Floyd to U2 but rarely has it been used to make the personal sound so positively timeless. X & Y, searches for relationships that last and maybe more, but the blend of soulful insights and melodic rhythms are worth inspecting further. The album begins with Square One, as good a place as any to start. Chris Martin sings, you're in control, is there anywhere you want to go? but quickly turns to You just want somebody listening to what you say, it doesn't matter who you are. Here lies the dichotomy that Coldplay explores the whole way through: we make the decisions about our lives that have the greatest impact but we cannot survive in isolationwe need others. // 9

X&Y Reviewed by: sixwingmortal, on july 07, 2008

Sound: This was the first Coldplay CD I've picked up from the music store. At the time, I didn't find the music so stunning or appealing, but after a few times of listening to it, I grew along with it. The music sounded very light and uplifting. But at the same time, it was incredibly strong on it's emotional level. The strength of this light, emotional music left you laying on your bed smiling or crying, or crying in happiness. The use of piano and synthesizers was very beautiful. As well as violin. The wide variety of instruments kept the sound beautiful and impacted the listener on an emotional level. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics flowed well with the music. The singer's voice is amazing. Constantly able to hit higher notes. This man is a true tenor. His voice is very strong, yet light as well, and that's how it fits well with the music. The lyrics fit well with the song. Although they didn't vary too much, the lyrics were very poetic and kept an excellent flow. // 10

Overall Impression: Coldplay is around the same musical style as U2. But Coldplay puts does stand out beside it. "Fix You", "What If", "A Message," many of their songs have great acoustic value as well as perfect piano parts. I love how beautifully sounding all their songs are, but at the same time being unique. It has such high emotional level. Something worth crying or smiling over. This one whole album made me want to pick up every other album. It's beautiful, and helps you out through the day. // 10

More Coldplay reviews rating latest review
+ Ghost Stories 6.8 05/26/2014