Revenants Review

7.7
 7.4
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Revenants Reviewed by: axeldarkman420, on october 03, 2011

Sound: Since this album doesn't have a review and has been on the site for a while, I'll review it. Conducting From The Grave is your standard melodeath/metalcore band, but they have an ounce of originality and technique to not turn you off during the first listen. When they released "When Legends Become Dust", that album was one of my most played albums, and it still is today. It was a great album, it had everything; melody, harsh vocals, tight drumming and great production. Did this album level up to WLDB? Sadly, it didn't for me. But that's not a bad thing really, I still enjoy the album a lot, but it seems like they ran out of fast riffs like on the first record. You still got the harsh vocals (excluding the track "What Monsters We Have Become, Pt. 1"), solid drumming and good riffs. I will not break the album down into sections, starting with guitars. Like I said earlier, the lack of melodic riffs is a bit of a disappointment, but I must have been expecting them to make a second WLDB. There are still a lot of good riffs to be found on the record like in the opening track "And Our War Will Dawn". It was a good starting track for the album. There is also a lot more progression in the album too which is always a plus by adding more clean guitar and even clean singing in "What Monsters We Have Become, Pt. 1". Who knew the guy could sing? And he also does all the vocals on the record too. The overall pace of the album is still predominantly fast and there are a bit more breakdowns in the record too. The bass is still doing his thing by adding to the heaviness of the album, but he's got a couple bass solo things when the clean guitars are doing their thing. And again, that's all I can really say about that. The drumming is solid as ever, lots of good and interesting fills, good mid-paced beats and goes fast when needed. The bass drum still clicks, but f--k it, it sounds good. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals range all over the place. Its got highs, lows, mids and cleans. He's still doing the thing where he starts really high, then says some lyrics and descends into a low. The vocals have gotten better at what he's doing. They lyrics are more personal, but still good like WLDB. // 8

Overall Impression: The production is crystal clear, you can hear all the notes and drum fills. If I got it stolen, I'd probably just find the dude who stole it and kick his a-s. I like the album as a whole, but there are just some aspects of it that I don't like. Overall: -10 for not enough melody. -10 for instrumental could have been part of the second to last track. // 7

More Conducting From The Grave reviews rating latest review