Cancer Review

8.3
 6.9
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Cancer Reviewed by: Disturbed_EMG, on april 29, 2010

Sound: Confession; Michael Crafter's (ex-I Killed The Prom Queen) newest musical endeavour sport a cutting-edge hardcore sound that is not only typically laden with breakdowns to get the crowd going, but enough melodic choruses and riffs to keep fans of a more "musical" standpoint on this style interested. Cancer is the 2nd release from the Melbourne quartet, following up their 2008 debut "Can't Live, Can't Breathe". The record doesn't stray far from the well-trodden Hardcore path; Low-tuned guitars (which greatly compliment Crafter's vocals) and plenty of intense breakdowns to really give the pit-goers something to move to. Despite this fact, there are small moments where the music does veer off and do something a little more creative, for example the lead lines and solo in the opener, "Send a Meat Truck", (which personally, is a favourite.) as well as some of the really cool, dissonant lead lines from other tracks like "That Scag & His Floozie, They're Gonna Die" (another favourite) and "Must've Cut His Heart Out". And it's these glimmering moments that seperate this group from the ever expanding number of bands playing this style nowadays. And because of this, I feel that there's a much deeper appreciation to the overall sound of the record. Tracklisting: 01. Intro 02. Send A Meat Truck 03. Must've Cut His Heart Out 04. Anarchy Road 05. That Scag & His Floozie, They're Gonna Die 06. That's Not The Goose 07. I Am The Nightrider 08. The Bitch Is Born To Run 09. Cundalini Wants His Hand Back 10. She's Not What She Seems 11. People Don't Believe In Heroes Anymore // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to be based around common topics in Hardcore music, Lost love, the sorry state of the world at present, and of course, some plain old pissed-off rage songs. The lyrics go well with the aggressive riffing and breakdowns that this band use, due particularly because of the dark themes in the lyrical content. Crafter's vocals never seem to really change that much during his performances for single bands. However, it is apparent that everytime he has performed in another band, his vocal style has changed, sometimes for better, other times for worse. I feel that Confession's heavy riffing and powerful breakdowns match his voice perfectly. He may not be the greatest vocalist but he gets the job done and makes it sound great. // 7

Overall Impression: In comparison to their previous record, there isn't a great deal of change to be seen on Cancer. There is still the obvious use of low-tuned guitar-driven breakdowns with the occasional melodic lead guitar section to make the music sound a little more interesting. The lyrical content doesn't appear to have changed much at all, although there seems to be a wider range of themes in this release. As far as I'm aware, "Can't Live, Can't Breathe" kind of hinted towards drugs and the like... And why not to do them. Which makes sense due to Crafter's straight-edge lifestyle. My personal favourites from this CD are: Send A Meat Truck: the first song I heard by Confession, as soon as I'd heard the solo at the end of the song, I was hooked on this band. That Scag & His Floozie, They're Gonna Die: I'm not 100% sure what it is about this song, but it really stands out to me as a great one. I'd have to say I love the use of dissonant minor chords in the intro. I am The Nightrider: having witnessed this band perform live, I can easily say that I love the start of this song. With the first few words uttered ("f--k!" "HOLY f--kING SH|T!") backed up by a spine-shaking breakdown, it is truly something to behold live. I really enjoy listening to this album and there's not really anything I dislike about it. It's a great, all-round hardcore record. If this were stolen or lost, I'd probably just count my losses and get over it, simply because I've got the songs on my computer so I don't really need to pay for it twice. I wouldn't be happy about it, but there's a wide array of music I'd prefer to put my money towards rather than buy the same album twice. Overall, it is a well-rounded, nicely polished record. // 9

More Confession reviews rating latest review
+ The Long Way Home 7.6 03/09/2012