Jane Doe Review

converge: Jane Doe
Released: Sep 4, 2001
Genre: Rock
Style: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal
The fourth official studio album from a legend in the world of metallic hardcore.
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Jane Doe Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2003

Sound: I`ve never heard anything this brutal! Tracks like opener "Concubine", "Heaven In Her Arms" and "Thaw" show Converge`s winning formula of ultra high-pitched, sub-human vocals, battering guitar riffs and hernia-inducing drums. However, unlike most grindcore/noise bands, Converge arn`t afraid to experiment, like on the epic title track. // 10

Lyrics: Lyric-wise, this albumn is again outstanding, with intelligent, metaphorical lyrics. Vocalist Jacob Bannon`s vicious delivery makes many song lyrics almost impossible to understand without the printed versions with the CD! // 8

Overall Impression: To put it simply, "Jane Doe" is a masterpiece. No other metal band today would dare to make a record that is on one hand insanely heavy, but on the other experimental and genre-bending. Tracks like "Concubine", "Fault and Fracture", "Homewrecker", "Phoenix in Flight" and "Jane Doe" are, in a metal scene full of copycats like Chevelle, the backwards-looking crap-meisters like Jet and the sheer horror of Nickleback, not so mucha breath but a storm of fresh air. If you listen to Dillinger Escape Plan 24-7 and call Slayer a "pop band" or you`re more at home with bands like Thursday and Finch, you simply have to own this record. // 10

Jane Doe Reviewed by: sick steve, on may 27, 2004

Sound: The sound of these tracks is amazing! It's very rare that you will hear anything this brutal in a time of "metal" bands dominating the mainstream. Jane Doe is a wake up call to all like minded musicians to get out there and do something original and hopefully something special. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic. It's just too bad that a lot of them are lost through the screaming which brings me to my next point. The vocals are relentless! I don't know how anyone could keep this up (except for Grady from Will Haven.) // 10

Overall Impression: A band/album like this is hard to beat. In my opinion it comes close to the flawless 'Calculating Infinity' by Dillinger Escape Plan which in my book makes you a pretty damn good band! I can't believe I only discovered Converge now. I feel like I've been missing out for so long. // 10

More Converge reviews rating latest review
+ All We Love We Leave Behind 9 01/30/2013