Petitioning The Empty Sky Review

converge: Petitioning The Empty Sky
Release Date: Jan 20, 1998
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Hardcore Punk, Heavy Metal
Another 11 tracks of blistering demonic screamy hardcore, wilting the leaves off the trees and turning the earth sour.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Petitioning The Empty Sky Reviewed by: Grey_August, on january 27, 2006

Sound: Converge (in my book at least) is straight-up true hardcore. They have everything I listen for in hardcore, the speed, the heaviness and most importantly, the all-out chaos. The record is a mix of hardcore, some metal infleuences, and alternative rock kind of stuff, notably on "Albatross" and "Dead." // 9

Lyrics: I honestly have to say that I could not hear most of the lyrics, and also that I never made an effort to get them on the internet or whatever, so I can't say much. But the singer is great. He has a full metal kind of scream which is actually somewhat unorthodox for this type of band. Usually it would be more shouting and yelling than a full-on scream. He doesn't do so well on the singing, because during the vocal parts where he doesn't scream, it's kind of a half-yell, half-sing, maybe like a moan? I don't know. // 8

Overall Impression: After hearing the full discography of Converge, this is arguably the best album. Raw and out of control, before they were somewhat big within the scene. If you liked this album, give a listen to "Odd How People Shake" by Fear Before The March Of Flames for a weirder artsier edge to it or listen to "Bless The Martyr & Kiss The Child" by Norma Jean or "Everything Is Alive, Everything Is Breathing" by The Chariot for a heavier take on it. Standout tracks are "Albatross," "Shingles," "Forsaken" and "Buried But Not Breathing." If this were stolen from me, I would definetly buy it again, because I feel that it's a vital part of my collection. I'd just have myself a hard time finding it. // 9

More Converge reviews rating latest review
+ All We Love We Leave Behind 9 01/30/2013