Unorthodox Creative Criteria Review

7.9
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Unorthodox Creative Criteria Reviewed by: Bxesparty, on april 08, 2011

Sound: Coprofago is a Progressive Technical Death Metal band from Santiago, Chile. Their sound is rather unique and odd. Kind of a mixture of Cynic with "early" Meshuggah type feel. The band uses complex song structures combining jazz influenced segments with heavy riffing. The vocals are sang by Pablo Alvarez, which sound similar to Meshuggah's Jens Kidman but a bit lighter, but they are tolerable for a first time listener. I would say, enjoy it. The drum work is very heavy. It would rather be confusing for some since there are Polyrhythm incorporated into it. Marcelo Ruiz shows his very accurate playing and techniques that are rise up to his progenitors. Not many can possess that skill to play to different rhythms at once. Pablo Alvarez's and Sebastin Vergara's guitar work are very technical. Show roots from Cynic, they included jazz fusion like segments and jazzy soloing. They sound very fluid. They are both melodic and technical with heaviness as well. There are keyboards that both guitarist layer some of their parts with. The bass played by Felipe Castro, I would say is not as noticed than it should be. You can hear the bass being played along with the guitar and is almost as technical. Somewhat like a fretless bass sound. It can be heard almost clearly in some of their jazz segments. Overall the band's sound is very Unique and noticeably shows their Cynic and Meshuggah influences. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are abstract hence the song names. But out of the 13 tracks, 7 of them have lyrics while the rest are basically instrumentals. Since the vocalist is sort if using harsh vocals, it sometimes shows the meaningful lyrics with a aggressive approach, but doesn't get the full message out there. I would say it sort of goes well with the music with its very atmospheric sound. The vocalist knows how to sing without over doing it. // 7

Overall Impression: This album is impressive and could be up to par with other technical death bands out there. The song I'm stuck to at the moment is the 2nd track "The Inborn Mechanics", its probably my favorite song off that album. I love how this album incorporates jazz influences with heavy riffs. Its sort of my candy. What disappointed me was that almost half of the tracks were instrumentals rather than songs with singing. But those songs were mostly using synths and are mostly atmospheric. I would buy the CD if I lost it or someone stole it. Since I have the album on my Ipod, it would seem pointless to buy the CD again, but I'd buy it just because I like having CDs with their content (booklets, etc). I would recommend this album to anyone that is a fan of Meshuggah and Cynic or someone who really loves technical death metal, but most of the songs are not much "death metal" but jazz fusion. // 8

Comments