America's Volume Dealer Review

corrosion of conformity: America's Volume Dealer
Release Date: Sep 26, 2000
Label: Sanctuary
Genres: Heavy Metal, Punk Metal, Alternative Metal, Thrash, Sludge Metal
America's Volume Dealer is an incredibly high-quality piece of work that exhibits range, musicianship, and confidence.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
America's Volume Dealer Reviewed by: TONY strat, on january 07, 2008

Sound: From their post punk metal trademark C.O.C added a new genre too their musical tastes which is Southern Rock and Metal. Although they moved away from their normal genre they still included symphonic vocals and melodic playing. The music was terrific itself with the funky rhythm guitars, drumming, and bass lines. The band clearly showed their southern inheritance in the album with the slide guitar in "Share Too Long" and "Sleeping Martyr". By doing this sudden change they lost a few of those fans who preferred the garage sound and the slow sludge guitars, but I'm not saying they drifted that far they still have their fair share of slow mucky guitars and great drum beats in this album. // 8

Lyrics: This album doesn't revolve completely in the average confines of the albums genre with a few songs so this might be an album you'd like if you love metal. 01. Over Me - the song begins with a blast of guitars and just when the volume goes down Keenen starts singing in a low tone as though he was depressed and starts a barrage of pissed off vocals.The song flows perfectly just like a stream of water. 02. Congratulations Song - it seems like Keenen worked hard on this song but failed miserably it's just a complicated song to understand lyrically it just seems something is missing from this song but flow isn't. 03. Stare Too Long - quite a depressive song lyrically but the tone of the guitars it brings it back to a sudden stage of hope, it's quite a good song which includes a slide guitar. I would say this is quite the little gem for this album. 04. Diablo Blvd. - his is what corrosion of conformity is about from the slow metal riffs and psychedelic vocals. It's definitively a song to listen too. 05. Doublewide - a song with a man with has 2 ways to live his life. The song has flow and a slow to moderate pace a definite listen song. 06. Zippo - it's a song that starts off with a wah'd riff which gives off a more rock feel then metal. Vocals are sung in a symphonic way keenen's voice is definitively modified most of the song. The song is quite good. 07. Who's Got The Fire - this is one song to make me get pumped. It starts off with a rock riff vocals are sung in sync with the song. Lyrically the song needs a bit of work though. 08. Sleeping Martyr - not the best song but the lyrics are sung quite well and the guitars and drums sound great. 09. Take What You Want - a song before it's time. It has a fast paced riff and drums beats but the drums are a bit annoying and the lyrics flow perfectly with the song. People should start noticing that COC is a great band. 10. 13 Angels - not my type of song but deserves a place on the album for creativity. The lyrics were almost meant for a christian band song. I have no criticism for the song but it's just boring. 11. Gittin' It On - this is a song for most fans for the past and current. Fast paced growling vocals and heavy guitars. I rather not spoil this song. // 9

Overall Impression: This album compares to Metallica's self titled album it's like C.O.C are on the same tracks as metallica but at a less heavy genre. The best songs are Over me, Zippo, Who's got the fire and share too long people should listen to these and they might get you on the Corrosion wagon. The overall album is awesome it's heavy original and fresh. I only hate 13 Angels and the rareness of the album here in Quebec. I would buy this album as many times as I would lose it. Corrosion of Conformity hit a new level in my preferred bands. A definite buy and if you liked Reed Mullins drumming this was his last album with C.O.C. // 10

More Corrosion Of Conformity reviews rating latest review