August And Everything After Review

counting crows: August And Everything After
Released: Sep 14, 1993
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock
Containing the perfect portions of instrumental and vocal conglomeration, the Counting Crows showed off their appealing sound to its full extent with their very first album.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
August And Everything After Reviewed by: incubus_rox, on november 30, 2004

Sound: No reviews for this insanely awesome band! Tom's gonna change that! This album is probably their best album and their first! Amazing! (Altho their 3rd album - "This Desert Life." They hav such a good mix of loads of different instruments, it's so good! I mean you got ya mandolin, organ, banjo and all sorts of crazy stuff! // 10

Lyrics: My god if you have not heard Adam Duritz' voice you haven't lived! He has one of the best voices in the world, he can sound depressed and on the verge of crying and can sound happy! Adam's lyrics are amazing so different to your average lyrics - well played to the lad! Ok so hear we go jables I'm gonna lay it down to you with what I think of each track! 01. Round Here - an immense track, definately one of their best, it's got a sad heartfelt verse, with a kickass powerful chorus, and a funky bridge! 5/5 02. Omaha - a pretty good track, good lyrics, they seem to play it a lot better live than on the track, one of the worst tracks on the album. 3/5 03. Mr. Jones - a classic counting crows tune, such a good feeling song. Apparently Mr. Jones was a guy who gave Bob Dylan a bad review once so Counting Crows are like sorta sayin Mr. Jones is just silly! I think Counting Crows love Bob Dylan, "I wanna be Bob Dylan", but yeh. 5/5! 04. Perfect Blue Buildings - what a track! Weird lyrics but amazin lyrics! It's so emotional - it makes me cry and I don't cry except at Titanic, but thats just sad! What? She said "I'll neva let go" come on! 5/5 05. Anna Begins - there is a much better live acoustic version of this. Download it if you can, coz tis really cool! But yeh this one is a bit dull, but its pretty cool, 3/5 06. Time And Time Again - really cool song, another sad one I'm afraid, but has a rlly cool solo in it, I love it, not much to say except it rocks. 5/5 07. Rain King - a cheery number, good stuff, brilliant song, another amazing set of lyrics being belted out of this californian, 5/5! 08. Sullivan Street - back to the sad songs, but don't fear it's amazin, probably in my top 3 on this album with - "Round Here" and "Ghost Train." 5/5 09. Ghost Train - ow, probably my favourite song on the album - give it up for the organ solo! What a 1st time to say that but yeh. 5/5 10. Raining In Baltimore - not too sure about this track, my least favourite on the album, just piano really, but got some cool lyrics so 3/5. 11. A Murder Of One - nice finish to the album I like the song bout the only one that isn't amazing or average - just good! Has some really cool lyrics "Well I dreamt I saw you walking, up a hillside in the snow, casting shadows on the winter sky, as you stood their - Counting Crows." 4/5 // 10

Overall Impression: Well I think I've made it pretty obvious about how good this album really is, it really isn't what you would expect, these Crows can write! Go buy it, you won't find a band like it, they are not sum crappy pop band you mite think, if you've heard "Big Yellow Taxi" that's not wot ther like, listen to "Colorblind" off cruel intentions soundtrack, that's wot ther like amazing! Seriously if you don't have it you'll never know just how good a band can be, they are a great southern californian rock band! Trust me I like so much music: Incubus, Blink 182, Brand New, Placebo, Tenacious D, Maroon 5, Dashboard Confessional, Jimi Hendrix. Trust. // 10

August And Everything After Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 11, 2008

Sound: The word unrecognized comes to mind while listening to Counting Crows debut album. Not to say that they weren't popular, Adam Duritz & crew were propelled into stardom on the wings of the runaway single 'Mr. Jones'. Yet if anything August And Everything After as a whole ironically surpasses the song for which Counting Crows are most renown. The mid-tempo moodiness enthralls you immediately - from the first lonely notes to the painfully quiet finale - and from that moment on you are whisked into the lonely world of the Counting Crows. The guitars (the three of them!) play lightly in the background, almost teasing you to pick up the flashing plucks and twangs that are embedded deep in the deceptively simple sound-scape. It's things like this that make Counting Crows so amazing musically, because you can listen to 'Omaha' ten times and still find new traces of exuberant life beneath the muddy chime of the guitar. The real strength behind the band is the ability to portray moods with the flick of a switch, on 'Anna Begins Again' they cut between melancholy uneasiness and an almost enlightened, smile-inspiring chorus that only sounds 3/4ths through the song. I still believe a song could have been cut or altered, most notably 'Raining In Baltimore' which, depressing as the album can be, shifts into overdrive and just genuinely brings you down. Then again, maybe that was what Counting Crows were after? // 9

Lyrics: Adam Duritz had been in several bands before, and has perfected a unique blend of well-known past voices in music, eventually forming an emotionally driven, powerful voice that can paint the realities of love and life in shades no other man should even dare to attempt. His lyrics, either about loneliness, women, loneliness and women, or life all have a profound style - Duritz' style. His lyrical achievements on August And Everything After are amazing, truly he is one of the modern masters in expressive songwriting, "Step out the front door like a ghost into the fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white And in between the moon and you the angels get a better view of the crumbling difference between wrong and right" And excerpt of 'Round Here'. Duritz vocal style pairs perfectly with his lyrics, he drifts casually between his powerful crooning and spoken word passages that envelope you completely and pull you into his head where he reveals all the pains and transgressions of his sad, sad life. // 10

Overall Impression: Suffice to say, August And Every Thing after is one of the best debut albums of all time. Every song fits together perfectly, practically casting a shadow over your very consciousness, only to have Duritz and the gang cut through with a chirping strum of their guitars and an inspiring heart-on-his-sleeve quip from the nigh-constantly depressed frontman. Highly recommended, the standouts are, 'Round Here', 'Omaha', 'Mr. Jones', the mood changing 'Anna Begins' deserves mention, as does 'Rain King' and it's rocking partner 'A Murder Of One'. // 9

More Counting Crows reviews rating latest review