Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder Review

cradle of filth: Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder
Released: Oct 27, 2008
Genre: Extreme Metal
Label: Roadrunner
It is a concept album, based on the life of the infamous 15th century French nobleman who fought alongside Joan of Arc and accumulated great wealth before becoming a serial killer, sexual deviant and Satanist.
 7.9
Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder Reviewed by: Dementer, on october 30, 2008

Sound: And so, with Halloween right around the corner, we encounter the ever repulsing sight and sounds of metal institution of tongue-in-cheek devilry and perversion: Cradle of Filth. The English band's (now a four piece: Dani Filth on vocals, Paul Allender on guitars, Dave Pybus on bass, and Martin "Marthus" Skaroupka on drums) newest album, "Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder: The Life and Crimes of Gilles de Rais" is a concept album about Gilles de Rais (Coincidentally, Cradle's last concept album, "Cruelty and the Beast", is celebrating it's 10 year anniversary since it's release in 1998 this year). Basically, he was the right hand man of Joan of Arc who had acquired a massive fortune and after she was burned at the stake he blew all of his riches and sought, through occultism and rituals, to gain his wealth back. Instead, he turned twisted and was tried and convicted of the murder and sexual abuse of hundreds of local children. Now that the concept is out of the way, let's see how the album stands up. (Note: I'll have you ALL know that I am writing this as an AVID supporter of the old COF style, circa "Principle", "V Empire", "Dusk... ", "Cruelty" eras and detested "Thornography" to no end. So trust me, I want a good Cradle album as much as you all do.) 01.In Grandeur and Frankincense Devilment Stirs: as always, Cradle must start everything with a keyboard interlude, which I'm not against cause they always have great interludes, just there's not really a good way to review them. Nice opener to the album though. 02.Shat Out of Hell: and finally! A Cradle album starts with a blast beat once again! I seriously thought those days were gone after "Thornography". Nice progressions and riffs throughout the song and it has a very good constant flow to the song that continues throughout and doesn't lose pace. You can easily find yourself headbanging unconsciously to this song and enjoying it. 03.The Death of Love: this is the only slow song on the album and from I can gather it's supposed to be about Gilles' reaction to Joan's death. Now, before any other Cradle fans jump on this song for being not heavy and being a slow song, does anyone remember "Malice Through the Looking Glass" or "Bathory Aria"? Yeah, slow but legendary Cradle songs BECAUSE of their pace. So don't talk shit. I love the leads and riffs in this song and the female vocals on this song are some of the best I've heard in Cradle's history, which is saying something. 04.The 13th Caesar: this song has a very thrashy vibe to it with it's heavy use of triplets throughout the main riff of the song. It has me hooked in more ways than one. Like the majority of songs on the album, it starts with narration by the great Doug Bradley and a keyboard intro, which I don't know why almost EVERY song on here has to have a keyboard intro, but hey, I'm not complaining. Songs like this remind me that Cradle made a wise choice in getting a younger drummer who has just that right amount of ass-kicking in him to push these songs to the heavy levels. 05.Tiffauges: once again, another interlude. This interlude is exceptionally great because one of the keyboard lines fits with the next song and in a way gets you ready for the in your face onslaught that "Tragic Kingdom" hits you with. I have to listen to both back-to-back always! 06.Tragic Kingdom: the arrangement for this song is honestly pure genius! I couldn't believe this was that good of a song! It has heavy riffs, sick keys, and even some progressive sounding drums at crucial points. Reminds me of "Midian" meets "Damnation and a Day". One of the best songs of the album! 07.Sweetest Maleficia: this might be the best song on the album! It has a very dark presence to it and when the drums hit, all hell breaks loose. The keyboards play more of a presence than the other instruments for this song and it shows; everything is tinged with that epic sound throughout and it seems as though you can feel Gilles conjuring Lucifer himself! 08.Honey and Sulphur: the first single from the album and probably the competition that "Sweetest Maleficia" has for best song. Nice choir chants throughout the song to compliment Dani's growls and very inventive how the instruments interact with each other throughout the song. It's given me lots of ideas for writing songs, that's for sure. 09.Midnight Shadows Crawl to Darken Counsel with Life: one of the longer songs on the album. Another brutal masterpiece that mainly shows off Martin's talents and stamina on the kit. The keyboard lines remind me of stuff from the "Bitter Suites... " material, which is a big plus, in my opinion! There's a beautiful interlude in the middle that must be heard to be believed that reminds me of one of my favorite beautiful Cradle songs, "Tearing the Veil From Grace". 10.Darkness Incarnate: - a twisted, dark song that has an intro that probably went a little too long for my taste. When it picks up, though, it's worth the wait of the intro. The arrangements throughout have that same dark feel to them and I love how they let the drums play as the dominant instrument at times in the song, once again. Here is a good example of Cradle trying some riffs and arrangements that signal a return to the days of old. 11.Ten Leagues Beneath Contempt: not a terribly fast song. Mainly has a brooding pace like that of "Thank God for the Suffering", kind of a builder for the final push of the album. That doesn't mean that it is a bad song, just a return to a moderate tempo for them to try new riffs and grow as a band. 12.Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder: the album's last kick in the face is just what it should be, Cradle clawing at the world in a burst of rage and fury. Seeing this song live would be an experience. The instruments all play very well with each other and it sounds as though Paul Allender (who wrote all of the new album) now has a firm understanding of what Cradle should be. 13.Corpseflower: just a closer to the album to give you something extra. // 10

Lyrics: Dani always does a great job with lyrics; even "Thornography" excelled in the lyric department mainly because of Dani's wide vocabulary and his talent for articulation. "Godspeed... " is no exception. He does a good job of actually telling the story from multiple viewpoints in the different songs and still tying it all together to it's theme. Vocal-wise, I believe Dani has realized that his high-pitched shriek vocals are waning in his later years. This, however, hasn't stopped him from using his other vocal talent, his super low growl. I prefer his growl to the shriek cause it just sounds that much more dark and sinister. The album caters more to the growl on a lot of songs and his use of layering the shriek and growl is still a large factor. I'm only taking away some points because I would've liked to have seen more Sarah vocals on this album. When she is on here it's perfect, but there just seems to be some lovely vocals missing, and that disappoints me. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, from a true Cradle fan, "Godspeed... " deserves ranking with the best Cradle albums. Granted, it is not a full return to the days of old, but there ever was a step in the right direction, this is as good as it will ever get. Let me put it this way, I didn't think Cradle would ever put out an album this good ever again! There are some old traits that have returned and some new room where they've grown, and I think that's what makes a band like Cradle of Filth great. Granted, Cradle of Filth will most likely never return to the "Dusk and Her Embrace" days, so stop dreaming. But if you still want a band that can make you headbang with brutal yet catchy (not SELL-OUT by any means, just catchy) riffs, then this is the album. With the exception of "Nymphetamine" and "Thornography", there's stuff on this album that you'll be able to recognize from all of Cradle's past works and stuff that will seem completely new to you! If this album were stolen from me, God help the poor bastard who would be stupid enough to take it from me, cause he'd be hiding for a long time! Long story short, ignore the haters: Heaven's mutant children have returned and oh, how we have missed them! // 9

Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder Reviewed by: Zecromancer, on october 29, 2008

Sound: Well, here it is, Cradle of Filth's new album! I honestly had no idea it was even out until I was skimming through a Best Buy thing, and saw "Cradle of Filth" followed by an album name I had never seen. While I am a big CoF fan, I had no idea they had a new album out! I bought it immediately. The songs on the album are: 01.In Grandeur and Frankincense Devilment Stirs: the opening track on this album is a creepy, slow, instrumental one. It's very... intro-ish. Unnecessarily long, hard-to-remember title. 02.Shat Out of Hell: the coolest thing about this song is the name. It sounds basically like your typical Cradle song... Fast guitars & drums; Dani Filth screaming his lungs out. Occasional growling. Nothing special, just a typical CoF song. 03.The Death of Love: this is where my attention first got grabbed. It's actually pretty...for a CoF song. It's a bit slower, and has some female vocals. 04.13'th Caesar: as with many of Cradle's songs, this one starts off with talking in the beginning. Aside from the typical overly-fast guitars that Cradle always uses, this song actually has some cool-sounding heavy rhythm guitar stuff. Kinda cool melody. 05.Tiffauges: *gasp!* more intro-talking! Aside from that, this is an instrumental track. Well, more of a filler-track if you ask me. 06.Tragic Kingdom: fast guitars. Screaming. Growling. Cradle of Filth. Yeah. 07.Sweetest Maleficia: even more intro-talking. Fast guitars as usual... Anyway, I think the vocals sound kind of cool. At the very end, there is what appears to my ear to be sweep picking for a split second! This is the first time I can recall hearing CoF sweeping. The half-second of sweeping is followed by a cool solo, which isn't really common for Cradle. The whole song before the solo is a bit monotonous (as a lot of this albim is), though. 08.Honey And Sulfur: more intro-talking. The song itself starts off with pretty heavy-sounding rhythmic guitars, which I think sound good. Around halfway through, the guitars get cooler... for a while. One of the better songs on the album. 09.Midnight Shadows Crawl to Darken Counsel With Life: starts off with even more intro-talking. I had more fun memorizing the title than listening to the actual song. It's a bit random. You know, guitars, screaming, pauses, nothing special. 10.Darkness Incarnate: you guessed it: Intro talki- I mean,... uhh... poetry read by a small child? Didn't see that coming. After that, it appears to be another instrumental, until the screaming starts... A bit misleading. Anyway, it's still not a bad song (for this album, anyway). Not great, but OK. Ends with more child poetry. 11.Ten Leagues Beneath Contempt: no talking in the intro this time. I kind of like this song because it has some cool-sounding guitars randomly splattered throughout. 12.Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder: the title track. Intro talking. This is actually a pretty cool song. Not as boring as the rest. The guitars and vocals are more aggressive-sounding. Best one on the album. 13.Corpseflower: last song. Brief intro-talking. Then instrumental stuff. Then... Outtro-talking? Sure. // 5

Lyrics: Hmm, the lyrics... Well, Cradle of Filth lyric-wise falls next to bands like Dragonforce: Cool, but so dang repetitive that it gets boring! This album seemed less satanic that a lot of their others, talking about going to heaven and stuff like that. One of the main problems with the vocals, though, is that they are near impossible to understand. Don't get me wrong, I love Dani's singing (screaming/growling) style, but I couldn't understand a single one of his words to save my life. Anyway, the lyrics were actually one of the best things about the album. They seem to have concentrated so hard on the lyrics that they forgot to actually record cool music to go with them! // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to Cradle's other albums, to put it very bluntly, this one sucks. None of the songs really stand out. In my opinion, Thornography (the album before this one) was the best they have done. Just about every song on there was a masterpiece. I thought that they were evolving, and that this would be more like (and possibly better than) Thornography. I was dead wrong. This is cradle's lamest album yet! It's boring, repetitive, un-melodic, monotonous, and just crappy. Part of the reason I'm giving it a low rating is because I had such high expectations after Thornography, and was very harshly let down. If I had absolutely nothing else to listen to I guess it would be OK, but it seriously was a huge waste of money. I do not recommend buying this album. // 5

Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder Reviewed by: Drool_Mouse, on february 25, 2009

Sound: Let's begin by saying I'm the biggest Cradle of Filth fan. I did buy this album when I heard a couple of songs off the album, and heard how melodic this music has become. Cradle of Filth by themselves are an interesting band to say the least. They do everything they can to be repulsive, hence the black metal genre label they first received. Yet they are still extremely successful, one the the most successful British metal bands since Iron Maiden. This album is a concept album based upon Gilles de Rais. He was a French soldier who fought besides Joan of Arc in the war against the British. He was a holy man who fell from grace once Joan was burned at the stake. He began to get involved in black magic and evil, committing evils of the flesh, etc. Overall, an intriguing concept for an album. Maybe not the most original, but interesting nonetheless. // 10

Lyrics: Dani Filth has some pretty incredible vocal skills. On this album, he goes from a little bit of growling and a second later is screeching again, the signature Cradle of Filth vocal sound. The lyrics are extremely well written, though sometimes, they seem to clash with the overall goal of the instrumentation, they still fit well enough. And they obviously revolve around the story. The most notable set of vocals is on "The Death of Love" which is going by possible rumors of Gilles de Rais obsession, if not love affair with Joan of Arc. The song features Sarah Jezebel Deva who sings the part of Joan, as she is accused, convicted, and burned at the stake. There is so much emotion in this song, and various levels of intensity, which make it so important. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the most melodic Cradle of Filth album I've heard talked about, and it definitely provides the right amount of melody and chaos all in the same song. Some of the most notable songs are: "The Death of Love" "13th Caesar" "Honey and Sulfur" and "Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder." I love the chaos mixed in with emotion and melody. Versus an onslaught of the same song 12 times on the same album. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 9

More Cradle Of Filth reviews rating latest review