Nymphetamine Review

cradle of filth: Nymphetamine
Released: Sep 28, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Goth Metal, Symphonic Black Metal
Most of the album plays dueling power metal guitars masterfully off a slower or more gothic choruses.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 8.7
 9.2
Nymphetamine Reviewed by: pyro_the_bear, on october 20, 2004

Sound: I'm surprised that this album hasn't been blessed by a review yet. The sound is brilliant Paul's guitar work is crystal clear with a veriaty of styles and techniques and Dani's vocal's are spot on maching every tone with agility; from a low, brutal growl to a high pitched scream or his trade mark spattered, croaky, vampyric hiss. I'm tempted to say it's perfect. This album is very different from anything else I've seen from heavy metal extremists - Cradle Of Filth, the song Medusa and Hermlock follows the usual plot of happinings and goings on in the world of the plot, Where As Guilded C--t is about a spoiled lizard like being (perhaps a lover, relative or friend of a member of the band? Well we'll never know for sure) and the song Nemisis follows an islamic extremist on his path to seek revenge on a privilaged western neighbour, the song dosn't condone such behaviour as right; but looks for a reason why someone can feal a god given right to spill innocent blood in this increasingly dangerous world. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics arn't realy as poetic as you would expect from a Cradle album who's title realy suggests more sexual or romantic themes. I think this is because Dani's vocal chords have become more mature since his youth days of The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh where hey could spit out a whole sentence in what sounded like less than three sylibals. Here everything is layed down perfectly to tie in with the music, Dani's blurted words of hatred realy add an angry edge to alot of the tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: This won't appeal to alot of people, but rest asured that this will wet your musical taste buds. It's just as heavy as any other Cradle album (if not, heavier) but everything here is very refined unlike the earlier albums. In short if you havn't heard much of Cradle Of Filth, have heard some of them but don't like it or if your just one of those sinical idiots who want to prejudge something better than normal then I strongly advise that you atleast give afew of the songs on this album a shot, download guilded cunt and you'll see exactly what I've been talking about in this review. And if you are a devoted fan like me you must hear this album as you will love some of these songs (if not then all of them) or atleast have it in your collection as this is a marking point in musical history where the boundaries of heavy, black, death and doom metal are broken down to form something beautiful yet vicious and evil. // 10

Nymphetamine Reviewed by: SuicideNation, on december 02, 2004

Sound: I think the sound on this album is great. You can hear everything that is being played as it captivates you. COF have changed their involvement of the symphonies and it is mostly duo guitars which is great. Some songs sound a bit like regular metal. This album shows that COF can still change their style and sound after 7 or so albums. To me, this one will send CoF into mainstream. It picks off where Damnation And A Day left off but is much better. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are quite good. They are shorter but still maintain great words and flow. Dani Filth is one great poet/writer and his lyrics always seem to tell stories and on Nymphetamine they are great and well crafted. Not his best in the lyrical department though. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is a step forward from thei lackluster performance with Damnation And A Day. It flows well and has lots of melodies (Coffin Fodder and Nemesis for example). Their last album seemed to earn them a bit of a new fan base but still lost alot of old fans, and will probably still loose the original fans continually on Nymphetamine. I think this album will be more mainstream. They've done good, somehow squizing their way to a wider audience. They sure have come a long ways and although I am a huge fan of older works (masterpieces even) like Midian and Dusk and Her Embrace I also find an interest to Nymphetamine because of its dynamics/diversity and change of styles. Styles can range from Black/death metal/metal/melodic metal. Its still a very heavy CD. Rich guitars, full/fast drumming and pounding vocals that can go from a high pitched scream to screeches to heavy growls. // 10

Nymphetamine Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on may 08, 2006

Sound: Their are only two words to describe this CD, epic and gothic. The song arrangements sound just like they have an orchaestra playing along with the band. In terms of epicness of the musical compositions I can only compare it to Metallica's ...And Justice For All album. // 10

Lyrics: Black metal, black metal, black metal. It's Cradle Of Filth so don't expect to learn any life lessons while listening to this album but do be prepared to enjoy one of the best gothic masterpieces in history. Dani Filth's voice is the voice of black metal. If Satan sang in a band this would be his band. // 10

Overall Impression: I have one other Cradle Of Filth album and that is Midian. Midian was great but this was much better. I love the sound of the band and the sound of black metal period. If you are a fan of black metal in any form buy this album now. If it where stolen I would bludgeon the perpetrator to death with a spiked club then buy another copy. // 10

Nymphetamine Reviewed by: sturm, on december 12, 2006

Sound: I actually bought this album because I thought the cover looked good. I had never even heard of the band then. When I first heard it, I was shocked. It was one of the most brutal and hardcore bands I have ever heard. The intro sounded pretty decent and melancholy, so I unknowingly turned up the volume. Then the first song came into play, and to say I was blown out of my mind, would be putting it lightly. From there onwards, the tracks only went progressively harder, more distortion on the guitars, a few good guitar solos here and there and some good choral singing to add to that gothic image. About the only thing I didn't like was the singing. I think there's a guy and a girl singing, but it's extremely difficult to tell. The guy part (at least I think it's the guy part, anyway the deeper voice) was pretty ok, while the female part was the worst thing I have ever heard. However, after listening to the album a few more times I got to like it, with the singing and all. If you ever come across the album, look carefully at the song names. They might surprise you. The best song on the album I thought was Nymphetamine (Overdose), it was so good that it's no wonder that they named the album after that song. // 8

Lyrics: While I would give the album 8 stars for the sound alone, I wouldn't give the lyrics even half a star. They are terrible and utterly incomprehensible. They use words that I have never heard of before. However, on checking the dictionary, I did find those words, and trust me the meanings are terrible obscure. The writer is a very talented poet and lyricist I admit, in terms of making the lines rhyme, but otherwise the lyrics are for the brain-dead. // 3

Overall Impression: I would recommend this album only to hardcore heavy metal fans. It's a real treat for them, while it would be way to aggressive for all the pop and r&b lovers who don't have the guts to listen to real music. If I lost this album, I would go buy a replacement immediately. It probably wouldn't get stolen, considering the fact that 92% of teenage kids nowadays listen to rap. // 8

More Cradle Of Filth reviews rating latest review