No Need To Argue Review

cranberries: No Need To Argue
Release Date: 1994
Label: Island
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock
Since anger is more difficult to embrace than love, many fans were initially disappointed with the tougher stuff, but those who stayed discovered a much more emotionally layered effort.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
No Need To Argue Reviewed by: Grungy_AJ, on november 29, 2005

Sound: "No Need To Argue" is a follow-up to "The Cranberries" debut album "Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We." It's an interesting and intimate album highlighted by many strong emotion driven songs such as "Ode To Family," "Zombie," "No Need To Argue" and many more. "No Need To Argue" quickly changed the bands sound from soft lyrics and music to angst filled music and lyrics. This album had a more confrontational sound, and this feeling was well covered by the lyrics as well. The music took in-consideration the Irish conflict of the time as well, especially in their hit "Zombie." // 10

Lyrics: In Dolores O'Riordan trademark sharp alto, she sings, "In your head they are fighting/With their tanks and their bombs/and their bombs and their guns." This is one of the most well sung lyrics I have ever expereinced up-to-date by this artist. As said earlier, the anger was they key component in the songs of this album, as the lyrics were conveying a message dealing with emotional state, therefore the angsty vocal were used appropriately well in the songs. With tihs album the listeneres submerge themself into a much more emotionally layered songs. The album does have variety of lyrical and sound feeling to it. For example: Ode To My Family - is a memorable and catchy song for its "doo doo doo doo" vocal hook, chiming guitars, and lovely multi-tracked vocals. I Can't Be With You - it is much more faster and catchy rock tune that's very enjoyable. Twenty One - this is a beautifully understated song on which O' Riordan duets with herself. Such great talent lyrically and muscailly in this song. Zombie - a song that has a pure grunge feeling to it, simple, catchy and transition between simple harmonic sound to much more hard rock grungy sound and not to mention the anti-solo feeling it has in the end. // 9

Overall Impression: In all honesty, it takes several listens before the beauty and incredible, emotional intensity of this album really comes across completely. If you only listen to the album a couple of times, you might well dismiss it as a somewhat disappointing followup to the much more accessible music of the group's first album. But I gurantee you that in time, the depth and beauty of this album manifests itself, grabbing you with its incredible intensity. It's intresting and admirable to see how "The Cranberries" branched out and expanded their sound from debut album "Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We?" to "No Need To Argue." I prefer this album much more over the debut album but then again I love lyrics and sound of this music better because it fits well with my taste of hard rock music and when a singer like Dolores screams and yells, its just amazing! Give it a listen, your bound to be trapped in the spell of this album. // 10

More Cranberries reviews rating latest review
+ Roses 8.2 02/27/2012