The Greatest Show Unearthed Review

creature feature: The Greatest Show Unearthed
Release Date: Feb 22, 2007
Label: Creature Feature
Genres: Goth Rock
For the most part, "horror rock" has become synonymous with a bunch of ghoulish-looking dudes cranking out high-decibel heavy metal.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
The Greatest Show Unearthed Reviewed by: HughF, on february 01, 2008

Sound: Full of horror themed sounds, creepy techno synths, and eerie guitar licks, you would think Creature Feature to be nothing more than the soundtrack for an upcoming Tim Burton film. A further listening, however, proves otherwise. Curtis Rx and Erik X are surprisingly talented musicians. They also bring something new to the table, a horror-inspired sound that is neither punk like the Misfits nor hard rock like Marilyn Manson. This album, not quite rock, not quite techno, manages to keep its musical integrity while creeping you the hell out. The real spotlight for me, however, was the way this talented duo managed to weave the keyboard parts in with the guitar parts in such a creative and intricate way that sometimes one becomes indecipherable from the other, even though they play completely separate parts. Not to be considered a one-trick pony, Curtis Rx even manages to put out some surprisingly shreddy solos. Check out the tracks "A Corpse in My Bed" and "Six Foot Deep." // 9

Lyrics: Though I love the sound of this album, the lyrics are what really shine. From songs about dark carnivals, zombies, the life story of a mental patient, kidnapping, Edgar Allen Poe, and obituaries, this album delivers in the lyrics department. What's more, they almost flawlessly mesh with the instrumental parts. Curtis Rx also has a surprisingly good voice. In a tone that could only be discribed as eerie, Curtis manages to fully complete the horror-theme this band so obviously desires. For the best of lyrics, check out "Such Horrible Things" and "Buried Alive." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, if you a fan of techno or horror-flavored music, you need to buy this album. The highlights of this album include the songs "Buried Alive," "Six Foot Deep," "How to Serve Man," and "Such Horrible Things." I absolutely love how undeniably catchy this album is, though I wish the band would broaden out style wise, as the occasions they did were truly impressive. If I lost this album, I would buy another copy. Not only would I buy another copy, but I would buy about fifty blank cds and burn fifty copies of The Greatest Show Unearthed in case I ever misplaced it again. This was truly an impressive album. // 10

Comments