My Own Prison Review

Genre: Rock
Style: Post-Grunge
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
My Own Prison Reviewed by: thesecondman, on november 10, 2007

Sound: Lovers and haters cannot deny: Creed is one of the bands we will look back on when we're 60, and still respect. Take away all the publicity crap, take away whether you really care about Scott Stapp or not, and you have a great rock album. These guys established their sound on this debut album, and they kept it. They are a Christian rock outfit, whether you like it or not, except they don't beat your face in with it. This album is heavier than the next 2 albums, and the songs are longer. The average song is about 5 minutes long, and yet it's not droning slow rock or love songs. They just have so much to put into a song, between Mark Tremonti's brilliant guitar, which has a sound he holds to himself, the very fitting bass and drum work, and Scott Stapp's lyrical mind-maze. If you ever consider that they went very mainstream, this was before that time. If you don't think they did, then this is them at their most raw point. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrical mind-maze. You have to listen to the lyrics and think and read and debate and even then, you still can have no idea what he is singing about. He seems to be somewhat distant on a few songs, however. Ode, Unforgiven and Sister seem to be somewhat lacking in the emotion that I know Scott can put into a song. On other songs, however, he puts in parts that you know they didn't write into the songs. On "What's This Life For" he throws in a "Don't have to settle no God-damned score." I don't think that they really put this when they wrote it, but he did it in production, and it works, and shows his emotion. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm going to go ahead and compare them to Alterbridge and Scott Stapp's solo deal-e-o he's got going on. Before you beat me over the head with the idea that neither is like Creed, compare this album to Alterbridge's debut album, and it's hard not to see the similarities. I think the most impressive songs have to be "My Own Prison" for being like a story, while maintaining the hard rock feel. I also enjoy "Illusion" for it's simple, but very memorable bass intro. My last favorite is the aforementioned "What's This Life For" which is a debatable song about the destruction of some type of innocent life. In my personal opinion, it sounds like a hit on abortion, however, as usual, lyrics are up for interpretation. I love this album, overall, however, I think these guys got caught up too much in the pop vs. rock scene, and basically turned the rock scene against them. They are making quality work, it's just the outside crap that took them down. Had they continued working together, I would have liked to see a little more innovation down the road, as they have covered this area of rock, and they are talented enough to bring in something new. // 8

My Own Prison Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on september 18, 2006

Sound: You know, people give Creed a hard time for being a "PJ Clone", but they definately are an amazing rock band and this album confirms it. My Own Prison was Creed's debut album that was released in June 1997. The sound is simply jawdropping because of Mark Tremonti's explosive guitar work. He may be one the best the new rock guitarists that exist. Scott Phillips is an amzing drummer also. I think his drumming is phenomenal. Those two, plus Scott Stapp are the modern rock legends we know as Creed. The sound is very explosive. That's the only way I can put it. // 9

Lyrics: Scott Stapp wrote along the lines of the Christian rock genre on this album. I still love the lyrics though. Very compassionate, emotional, and strong lyrics coming from Stapp. Like the guy or not, the man is the closest to Eddie Vedder I can I think of. He could sing and break glass. He is an excellent singer and songwriter. It just sucks that these guys don't play together anymore. // 8

Overall Impression: This was the first album from a debut artist to have 4 radio number one singles. That's a very interesting statistic. With that being said, you should pick up this album by all means. I personally like the title track on this album the best, but there's other good ones too. I recommend this one. It's good to have in your CD collection. You owe it to yourself to pick up this album. You won't regret it! // 9

My Own Prison Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2003

Sound: I really liked Mark's creative guitar licks. On this record, it seems as if he has the inability to employ common pop rock riffs, which is very good. Just needs some more solos. // 10

Lyrics: Scott Stapp is an amazing lyricist. His ability to write about his past without making direct references to it is outstanding. Scott's lyrics and vocals blend perfectly with the well-crafted music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album truly sets a strong foundation for Creed's career. My favorite songs are My Own Prison, One, Illusion, Ode, and Torn. I like everything about this album, except the shortage of guitar solos. If it were lost or stolen, I would go out right away and buy a new copy (or steal someone else's. Haha). I'm really looking forward to Creed's new stuff in 2004! // 10

My Own Prison Reviewed by: IbanezKorn, on may 20, 2010

Sound: This is My Own Prison, the debut album by Creed. Most people recognize Creed as the band that made songs like "Higher", "With Arms Wide Open" and other power ballad hits, but one listen to this album and your perspective on Creed will most likely change. Here I will rate/review each individual track. 01. Torn: the albums opener, and one of the 4 singles off the album. In my opinion it is a really good song. There isn't much to say about it, it is a basic Creed song. 9/10 02. Ode: with an opener as good as "Torn" you would think that they couldn't back it up, but in the 2nd song, "Ode" they do. In my mind this is one of the heaviest songs on the album. I would probably rank this up in the best songs of the album. 9/10 03. My Own Prison: the title track of the album, and the band's first single. The song is quite mellow, up until about 2 minutes into the song when the distortion kicks in. This song is pretty different from the first 2 songs, mainly because Guitarist Mark Tremonti sings the chorus, and it features the first guitar solo on the album. All in all a very good song one of the best so far. 9.5/10 04. Pity For A Dime: this is a great song. Its pretty up beat, musically, although if you listen to to the lyrics they paint a pretty dark picture, like most songs off the album. 9/10 05. In America: probably the worst song off the album *so far*. In no way at all is it bad, it just isn't on par with the first 4 songs. 8.5/10 06. Illusion: mind blowing song. The intro is an incredibly simple, yet amazing Bass solo. The song is very original, and different, but hasn't gotten that much attention. In my opinion this song features *the* best guitar solo off the album. Its simple, but so creative and emotional. Definitely one of the, if not the best song on the album. 9.5/10 07. Unforgiven: without a doubt the heaviest song on the album, probably even the heaviest song Creed has ever released period. The song features Creed's best Bass solo in my opinion, and has awesome riffs. For sure one of the best off the album. 9/10 08. Sister: I'm not really sure what to say about this song. The song seems like it was thrown together at the last minute (despite it being one of the first songs written by Creed). In my opinion it is the worst off the album. 8/10 09. Whats This Life For?: this song is powerful. It is about a friend of Scott and Mark who committed suicide. It can really make you think if you take the time to listen to the lyrics. From a musical stand point, it is a little softer then the majority of the song from the album, but it is still a great song. 9/10 10. One: this is a beautiful song. It isn't as heavy or dark like a lot of the songs from the album, but I like that Creed decided to end the album on a high note. I would say this is possibly the best song off the album, although "Illusion" challenges it. 10/10 // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics off this album are great. They dicuss a bit of everything, like doubting your faith (My Own Prison) suicide (Whats This Life For?), and a lot more. The lyrics tend to be pretty dark, but I like that, because there is no reality on this earth without darkness. Its real, its not all sunshine and lollipops. I think Scott has a wonderful voice, its been compared to Eddie Vedder's voice quite a bit, and although I agree they have a similar style, I think each of them have their own uniqueness in their voice. I think Scott's voice goes along greatly with Creed's music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is possibly Creed's best release, although their 1999 follow-up, "Human Clay" is really great, and challenges this album as Creed's best. I think the best songs off the album are "Illusion", and "One". The worst in my opinion is "Sister", although the song isn't half bad, just not on par with the rest of the album. If this album was stolen/lost, I would without a doubt pick it up again. // 10

More Creed reviews rating latest review
+ Acoustics & Rarities 7.7 03/07/2012