Crowned Unholy Review

crown: Crowned Unholy
Release Date: Aug 24, 2004
Label: Metal Blade
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
"Crowned Unholy" is not a new recording, rather a "fix" to complete The Crown's original legacy.
 7.3
 8.3
 6.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Crowned Unholy Reviewed by: G-Sage, on january 05, 2006

Sound: This is the first time I heard this band, The Crown: Crowned Unholy. They are a hardcore/deathmetal band and hail from Sweden. Right now your probably thinking that it is some crazy ass foreign metal stuff. Well you'd be wrong. They are a very talented band that uses a lot of fast deathmetal, even speedmetal beats, and can have very catchy rythms (Marko Tervonen). Their lead guitar (Marcus Sunnesson) is pretty high pitched and remind me of bagpipes almost, they don't sound like bagpipes, they just remind me of them, bagpipes or not it is a good sound. Solos range from melodic flowing notes back into riffs, like classic metal, to shredding. The high pitched leads are unique to the band and are harmonized (usually) to the rythmics, most of the time it is a desirable sound but sometimes it does not work. Drumming is very fast and constant and their drummer Janne Saarenpaa is very skilled especially at integrating double kicks in different riffs. The bass (Magnus Olsfelt) is not very evident. Gave it an 8 because of lack of bassist originality. // 8

Lyrics: The reason why I'd classify this as hardcore/deathmetal is because the vocals are comprehendable, still yell/scream, and sometimes goes lower into deathmetal when the situation requires it. The vocalist Johan Lindstrand has a throat that matches the instrumentals near perfectly, and sings in good rythm and timing, he is, in my opinion, the perfect vocalist for metal, very versatile with good sense of vocal entry. But for what he makes up in talent, they lack in lyrical writing. The lyrics are good but unbelievably generic, if you know metal you know what I'm talking about, jaws of death, graveyards, satan, crypts, skulls, that kind of stuff. Gave it an 8 because of generic lyrics, but I really don't care-this vocalist is awesome. // 8

Overall Impression: If you like unsynthesized guitar, god knows I do, and rough powerful vocals, and ripping fast drumming there's a 95% chance that you will like this band. I'd say this is a good pickup for metal veterans and newcomers alike, good sample songs of their talents are " Under the Whip", "World Below", and "Satanist" all from the album "Crowned Unholy." This is a CD you'll want to keep stocked in your tower. // 9

Comments