Once Was Not Review

cryptopsy: Once Was Not
Release Date: 2005
Label: Century Media
Genres: Death Metal
For those who use "brute force" and "elegance" to refer to math, Once Was Not will evoke the same descriptions.
 9.2
 8.9
 9.5
Once Was Not Reviewed by: MTL-HC, on june 05, 2006

Sound: What to say about the sound of this Cryptopsy album except it is awesome. The sound, on each song, is perfectly mixed. I also like the sound of Illuminum an acoustic/electric guitar intro played by John Levasseur which really puts you in a smooth atmosphere until the end that let you predict the worst. All the songs are unique, the drums are awesome due to Flo Mounier intense drumming and the guitar are so good. Listen to the 3rd song where the guitarist perform exceptionnal artificial harmonics followed by rough death metal riffs that you'll find everywhere on the album. I also liked The End an instrumental song whit egyptian style kinda like behemoth melodies. I really liked this album for the sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are death metal. The only problem is whit Lord Worm vocals (lead singer of the band) the old school cryptopsy singer have lost his power. Listen to None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh then you will see what I'm talking about, Lord Worm has become older but still have some power. The superb back vocals by Flo Mounier who is backing him up on all the songs really mask this little voice default of Lord Worm. Still the lyrics and the vocals return to the basics of Cryptopsy, more raw, less technical but still technical Cryptopsy! // 8

Overall Impression: You cannot compare this album to the past Cryptopsy albums because it is not the same singer has Whisper Supremacy and And Then You'll Beg because lyrically and vocally theyre is a big difference between Lord Worm and Mike DiSalvo. I think this album is a must have to old and new Cryptopsy fans. Musically it's very good, and seriously if it got stolen I sure go to the store and buy it again! // 9

Once Was Not Reviewed by: Plus_the_Bear, on march 12, 2007

Sound: This album is by far the most technical of any other Cryptopsy albums. It is rare that you will here a power chord, and it sticks to a lot of diminished work at fast, tempo changing paces. The drumming is again amazing, as Flo Mounier is known for his godly technical drumming. The songs are pretty consistent but it gets a little filler during some parts. This album aslo singifies the departure of lead guitarist of Jon Levassuer, who was the primary songwriter of the band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are the, as usual, medieval lyrics. I have very little to say about the lyrics, because this album is less thematic and more about the musicianship. The lyrics are just the icing on the cake. However, as in most death metal, unless you have the booklet in front of you or unnaturally well trained and experienced ears, you can't understand the lyrics anyways. Lord Worm has lost his natural strength in voice, however, his raspy voice seems fitting for this album. // 8

Overall Impression: A few hilights of the album are Adeste Infidelis, In the Kingdom Where Everything Dies, the Sky is Mortal, and Endless Cemetary. The strong diminished pressence is essential to this album. It shows a very new direction the band is taking, and is definatly a comeback from two poorly done albums that precede it. It is definatly a must buy from this band. I would buy it again if it were stolen or lost, and in fact, I bought both the cardboard slipcase and the digipack versions of it. // 10

More Cryptopsy reviews rating latest review
+ None So Live 4.2 07/06/2011