Senjyu Review

Label: Self-released
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Senjyu Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on july 06, 2012

Sound: Cyclamen is a project, formed by Hayato Imanishi in 2008, which is essentially a Progressive/Metalcore band. Their back catalouge is pretty slim, with only a couple of EPs, a demo and this album. Going off just this album, the band show signs of great things to come. 12 tracks, the feels like a crazy journey from start to finish. Opening track "Mother" is a slow building instrumental song that doesn't stay with you long and quickly goes into "The Seeker" that is a hard hitting song with alot of heavy vocal screams mixed with nice melodies, with some great instrument work behind it. The album as a whole is very varied in sound, and you'll notice there is a well balanced amount of songs that go from in-your-face heavy, to Envy/Mogwai-esque relaxed tracks that keep you very interested. My main gripe with the album though is its length; weighing in at a measly 38 minutes 6 seconds, its over before you even realise. Which is a massive shame for me, because I really wanted it to be abit longer. A couple more heavy tracks would have definitely filled my appetite. But, how it stands, you get an album with many varied well put together songs that work well as a whole, albeit a little on the short side. // 10

Lyrics: The vocal work is great. In a metalcore fashion, you get alot of heavy shouting in this. But I felt there was more of the nice, clean, soft vocals, and they worked really well with the quieter parts of the songs. That's not to say it didn't have a alot of heavy vocal time, because you get a healthy amount to please the metal fans, too. And both style of vocals gel really well with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm really impressed with this album. Despite a couple of niggles, this is definitely one of the best albums I've heard this year. If your a fan of prog/metal this one is right up your alley. Their fan base isn't that big, and think with this sort of exciting music coming out from these guy's it'd be a shame to see them disappear. Definitely worth checking out. // 8

Comments