Fool For Suffering [Single] Review

Daken: Fool For Suffering [Single]
Released: Jul 23, 2012
Genre: Alternative Rock, Hard Rock
Label: DMH
Daken's "Fool For Suffering" is the polar opposite of Alter Bridge's "I Know It Hurts", in that everything that doesn't work for Bridge works for Daken.
 6.5
 6.7
 6.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Fool For Suffering [Single] Reviewed by: avpr212, on october 03, 2012

Sound: Daken's "Fool For Suffering" is the polar opposite of Alter Bridge's "I Know It Hurts", in that everything that doesn't work for Bridge works for Daken, and everything that works for Bridge ends up as generic slop for Daken. "Fool For Suffering" handles the drastic switch from a pummeling punk riff to clean melodic singing drastically better than Alter Bridge's "I Know It Hurts", but the riff itself is of lower quality (a re-hash of Lamb Of God's "Ruin"). The Drumming is of low quality during the main riff, but good during the verse, again polar to "IKIH". Weird connections here, but I would definitely choose Fool over Hurts. It gets it right were it counts. // 7

Lyrics: Some bands get a singer perfect for the guitarist. Some bands get the only guy in the village who sings. This is the case for Daken. It's fairly clear that the vocalist wasn't chosen for his punk roots, but because he was there. As such, we get a mad tonal shift (which I stand by that it works musically) that on later listening really comes through like a production point. The lyrics are your usual British schlock of hating and breaking stuff because of it, and fluctuate madly in terms of clarity, as such I have to quote my favourite line as "mwa-ah-haaaaaah!" which comes ay some point in the pre-chorus. // 6

Overall Impression: When it comes to the world of underground British leftovers, it takes massive amounts for someone to remember someone enough to listen again. Daken achieve this with catchiness, but need more to build anything on it. If this was stolen, I'd got out and buy LOG's "Ruin" instead, which is a far better experience with the same riff. // 7

Comments