New Found Power Review

artist: damageplan date: 07/26/2007 category: compact discs
damageplan: New Found Power
Released: Feb 10, 2004
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angry, Volatile, Brooding, Cathartic, Aggressive, Acerbic, Nihilistic, Raucous, Gritty, Hedonistic
Styles: Thrash, Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 8.4
 9.4
 9.2
 9.6
New Found Power Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2005

Sound: Some might say it's nu-metal, but I don't care because Damageplan kicks ass! The guitar playing by Dimebag isn't as good as in the old days (with Pantera), but he's still got that trademark chainsaw sound on the riffing. And, you probably already know, it works perfect with Vinne Pauls drumming. The only thing that I don't like is that Bob Zilla isn't half as good as Rex Brown. // 9

Lyrics: Replacing Phil Anselmo, one of the best frontmen ever, isn't an easy job, but Pat Lachman does it very well. There's a lot more singing and less screaming, and I like it. The lyrics contain classic themes, no more no less. // 9

Overall Impression: I really love this album. The best song is of course the amazing Breathing New Life, but there are several other tracks that are great! New Found Power, Save Me, Blink Of An Eye, Blunt Force Trauma and Pride are all excellent songs. The only ones that I really don't like are Fuck You, a completely unnecessary track starring Slipknot's Corey Taylor on vocals, and Reborn, written together with Zakk Wylde. It ain't bad, it's just that I don't think it fits in. However, if you're a Pantera fan, you should definately get this one, and if you're a mateal fan, you should also get it! // 10

New Found Power Reviewed by: Jrsnyder881, on july 26, 2007

Sound: This album is by far one of my favorite albulms to listen to. It's got this appeal to it that allows it to be listened to over and over without wearing down the listener. The main feel of all the songs can't be summed up in one word it is a variety that includes hate, knowing who you are, and everything in between. I was impressed by it's lack of filler material with only one or two songs that are stale or cliche. This album is a full blown metal albulm with the exception of one slower paced song all in all great record. // 9

Lyrics: Pat Lachman makes a great metal frontman as he proved in every song on this album. He even slows things down in Soul Bleed (one of my favorite songs in this album) and still manages to have great vocals. The lyrics in this album run pretty deep and I believe that the bandmates really support the message given off in them. The lyrics describe feelings of anger and power all set to some of the greatest guitar licks ever written by the late Dimebag Darrell. // 9

Overall Impression: This album isn't Pantera and anyone looking for that will only find what they want in Pantera itself. Damageplan is it's own unique breed in my opinion with some great riffs by Dimebag and some of the best drumming to be heard on any recent album not to mention the killer vocals and bass. I love how I can find a way to relate with each song on this album and how it seems to make more sense to me everytime I listen to it. If it were stolen I would deffinetly get it back because this album is worth fighting for. // 10

New Found Power Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 05, 2004

Sound: I'll be the first to say I was reallllyyyy looking forward to this album. I am a huge Pantera fan and I love every album they did. That said, Damageplan is understandably similar in style to Pantera's last album, Reinventing the Steel, but with a more sludgey sound. As overused as grunge metal is, thats basically what this cd is. But that is a good thing, because Dimebag and Vinne are so good at what they do, they elevate the usually listless genre. Dimebag is still using pummeling riffs, but they sound more simplistic in this setting, and not half as daring as on Pantera's previous efforts. Vinnie is as good as ever pounding away back on the drums, and Bobzilla does a quality job keeping up with Dimebag. Zakk Wylde guest stars on the track "Reborn" and you can tell, because the track sounds like something right out of the BLS handbook. But thats a good thing, and Dimebag and Zakk are made for each other. On "Reborn", Zakk manages to make the most ungodly banshee wail ever heard on a guitar solo and it sends shivers down your spine. Dime still gets some killer hooks on his riffs and manages some tight solos, but its nothing overly groundbreaking compared to his previous offerings. // 8

Lyrics: Pat Lachman is a relative unknown former lead singer from the band Halford, and it shows. Trying to replace a lead man of the quality of Phil Anselmo is next to impossible, and it is unfair to make such comparisons between the two. Lachman is pretty generic lead man by metal standards, but he does do a good variety, doing a lot more yelling at the beginning of the cd and a lot more singing later. The lyrics go very well with the music, but take the music away and the lyrics are nothing great and quite run of the mill. While Phil was able to channel and articulate his rage into his lyrics, Lachman still has to forge an identity for himself. and the track "F*** You", with guest star Corey Taylor, is totally unnecessay and a worthless exercise in obscenity. // 8

Overall Impression: This disc is basically Dime and Vinnie's project to prove they don't need Phil. And they do a pretty impressive job, as the disc is focused in its theme and delivery. I was skeptical at first, but after 10 listens I was hooked. The end is particualarly strong, especially the acoustic number "Soul Bleed" which is eerily reminiscent of Suicide Note Part 1 and Cemetary Gates crossed with Layne Staley harmonies. Best songs are Breathing New Life, Reborn, Pride, Save Me, Moment of Truth, Soul Bleed, and Blink of an Eye. While it may be a little too "nu-metalish" for some, it's still Dime and Vinnie and that's what matters. It's a solid debut, but the lyrics could use some work and it could be fresher. But I still love the album and I've been listening obsessively. Zakk's guest spot was refreshing and further joint ventures would be a great thing. Between this album and Probot, the best metal discs of this young year come from the veterans who have been doing it for years. // 10

New Found Power Reviewed by: jojothdestroyer, on march 23, 2004

Sound: They sound exactly like I figured they would sound because Dime is in the band, with a really girthy, sludgy vibe but the solos on this cd are awesome reminds me of the days of Van Halen and Priest, if they dropped their guitars. // 10

Lyrics: Nice hard cutting lyrics, which kinda get redundant after hearing the same basic theme over and over again pat lach man dude awesome singer man he can gut it or make it clean either way it sounds awesome! // 6

Overall Impression: This one blew my irish-american ass off kids not comparable to the thrash god that was pantera (solute bitch) but I understand where their coming from and they wanna be Damage Plan not Pantera. The stound out tracks are New Found Power, Explode, Breathing new life and Pride. Definitely Pride is one song that'll stay with your ass. Definitely dude if somebody stole this (or any cd of mine, for that matter) I would fuckin go apeshit on their ass definitely. // 10

New Found Power Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2004

Sound: This band is a very impressing band to listen to. Dimebag Darrel is such a great guitarist, I could only wish to play like him, I think I'm gonna buy one of his signature guitars after listening to this album. This album is diverse and thats something I always look for in albums, got tired of that nu-metal stuff. I think their impact with the bass player playing lots of riffs that could be played on guitar is neat. The singer is awesome too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics meet my standards, nothing horrible. The lyrics and singing goes along with the songs very well too. The lyrics aren't puzzling and amazing like the works of A Perfect Circle, but they aren't crap and they carry a meaning. // 10

Overall Impression: Well this CD is one of my most frequently listened to. I recommend it to anybody who comes by it and anyone who is a metal fan. I would definately buy this CD if I lost. // 10

Comments