O Review

damien rice: O
Released: 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Folk, Contemporary Folk, Contemporary
Damien Rice's debut full-length, O, is nothing less than a work of genius.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.2
 9.5
 8.9
O Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2006

Sound: It's one of the best CD's I have ever heard. The sound is smooth and relaxing. Damien and his band are obviously trying to leave their mark in the world's music using elements from classical rock, opera and even country music and connecting them in a unique way. I find this experiment completely successful and ear-soothing. The instrumental part is nothing less than magical. Chello, violin, guitar and a touch of piano, it will only take you some moments to tranfere in the world of your most inner sentiments and feel pure as a child! // 10

Lyrics: What more would anyone ask from words than being able to make you think, feel and travel. That's exactly what these lyrics do. Sometimes you may think that you can't understand some of them, but then you find out that they can affect the way you face your life. Some others, they just help you express yourself to yourself. Their strength lies in their simplicity and their absolut connection to the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a door. You open it and you stand before a miracle. It will make you thank nature for giving you the ability to hear. My favourite songs: The Blower's Daughter, Chears Darlin', I Remember. I just wish that every compose and perfomer loves music as much as this band does! // 10

O Reviewed by: Mankman, on august 12, 2004

Sound: It's a man with a guitar, Cello and a woman with an angelic voice. This alone would make a stunning album. However more instruments are added into certain songs, like oboes, drums, pianos. Most of the songs start off with an acoustic guitar and crescendo towards the end. But once again Rice mixes it all up perfectly. The seething Cello in Volcanoes brings it to another level. The bluesy swagger of Cheers, Darlin is masterful. There are very few weak songs on this album. The 15 minute epic Eskimo drags on a bit in the middle however. The sound quality is simply marvelous, as one comes to expect from albums these days. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are immensely thought provoking, challenging many issues in life. The marriage of the lryics and music is truly wonderful. Each song has a specific mood and Rice sings beautifully. Whether it be singing a ballad or bellowing at the crescendo, Rice is perfect. The introduction of an almost heavenly female singer works very well, and the interchange between the two works extremely well (eg Volcanoes). // 10

Overall Impression: This man is pretty unique in this day and age, and even whips up a frenzy with pop fans! Volcanoes, Older Chests and CHeers Darlin are the best songs on the album. I love the diversity of the album and the raw nature of Rice. However it might bore many fans of hard metal etc. I love it and cherish forever more. Amen, indeed. // 10

O Reviewed by: rob_acoustic, on march 11, 2005

Sound: This album's sound is very soothing to the soul. It relaxes you nicely. I like it a lot. Most of the emo/folk fans will also. It has a variety of sounds and a experimental type of tracklist. It varies from a mid-tempo song to a slow song with beautiful guitar, I mean beautiful. Damien Rice and his album is a underrated album for sure. The sound mainly pertains to an Irish/Folk vibe. It is a personal album directed from a first person perspective. The sound is very crisp and it's great to sleep to or calm you down. It also can be used while driving in your car on a sunny day or a rainy day. Nice taste, nice feel, great album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very unique from todays lyrics. Just the words he uses and the approach that is used here. "It's not hard to fall, when you float like a cannonball" he sings. Those type of phrases are throughout this album. It makes the album a good listen to what is being said. The music to the lyrics is very well done too. The singing skills are just great. From low to high and in the middle, you need nothing else here, great singing. Emo fans will love it. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the album is very well done. It deserves more respect. It only has 10 tracks with 1 hidden track. I like it a lot. I listen to it frequently. The most impressive songs are the hidden track (after song 10), Cannonball, Amie, Blower's Daughter, Volcano. Listen to those, if you don't like those then you won't like the album. Those are the best songs. There's nothing I don't like about this album, compare it to a STP or Audioslave album and it's pathetic, that's why we keep music in genres. This album sets the tone for what classical folk music is. I would always have this album. // 8

O Reviewed by: Wlewis07, on february 20, 2006

Sound: Damien Rice is one of my favorite artist out there right now. "O," his breakthrough debut CD, is my favorite of all time, so far. O has such a diverse and eclectic sound to it through his expression of moods and feelings. O starts out with almost a lullaby, and melodic sounds with "Delicate". "Volcano" takes a 180 and shows a different side of Damien. "The Blowers Daughter" is his largest consumer hit. Love song/obsession comes over the listener and shows his life. "Cannonball" and "Older Chests" have an Elliot Smith meets Ray LaMontagne sound in which its a more relaxed and story-like quality like most irish musicians have. "Amie" by far is the greatest love song I have heard in a while. With simple chord progression and an orchestra backing the song, what is not to love. "Cheers Darlin'" is a jealous rage, with the beginings of the sounds in a wedding reception. it crescendos to its very climatic end. "Cold Water" might come off a little redundant at first, but takes a few times to see the real beauty in it. "I Remember" is almost bipolar in a way, with it starting with Lisa Hannigan singing a lullaby. Her voice wailing in such sorrow captures the listener to hear more. Damien comes in slowly with the guitar, more complex than chords, and then it happens. It turns into another, even better, jealousy rage and using different vocal sounds. The guitar goes into a mess Weezer-esque and just bass in the end. "Eskimo" is my favorite track on this album for 2 reasons: it is 16 minutes long and it is such an amazing song. Damien does his thing, in starting out soft, and very patient. He has a woeful high-pitch voice and gets to the chorus then decreases down, into the verse. When it reaches its climax, Damien seems to just let go and hang on his last note, then an soprano opera singer comes in and sings in Italian with such a booming voice. This all somes to a soft and quiet end. Prague comes in after 2 minutes of silence with his patient and heartbroken guitar riff. Prague is the very climax of the entire album, and you can see why. Don't want to give away to much. After about 2 and a half minutes after prague ends, Lisa Hannigan comes in a capello singing a different lyric version of silent night, and comes to a soft, silent end to O. // 10

Lyrics: Words cannot describe his lyrics, in a way thats ironic. His lyrics go blissfully into the music as if you would have never seem to hear it before. Damien has an amzing and beautiful voice that you don't see around these days. Not since Jeff Buckley, have I heard such an amazing talent for singing. He has a very distinct tone in his high, and low voices. With accomaniement by Lisa Hannigan on most of the tracks, the overall two sided views of them go hand in hand. // 10

Overall Impression: in my list of all time great albums, this is my favorite. It covers every possible mood you could be in, and thats what makes an album great. If I were to compare this album to another, I would look at Grace by Jeff Buckley, Garden State Soundtrack and Trouble by Ray LaMontagne. For any lover of music, in the indie, alternative, and rock. This is an album for you! // 10

O Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2007

Sound: This is a Melow album, Fusing elements of different genres.The sound features a wide influence from the blowers daughter's chord progression for example shows a similarity to Creep by Radiohead, which Damien usually adds to the song when live. There is also elements of Opera, Folk, Indie and Acoustic. Somehow the mix takes you on a journey and make you get an emotional connection to the piece. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics flow, telling a story in each song. There is no overly complicated lyrics that are hard to understand but sound good like some people are doing now they are emotional and intresting coupled with Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan's vocal talents and the musicianship of the band, it is one of the best recent albums of its kind. // 9

Overall Impression: This indeed is a very good album, marking Damien Rice's arrival on the scene. There are the instant classics like the blowers daughter and cannonball, although the good thing about this album is there are no throw away tracks, everything could stand on it's own apart from maybe Eskimo and that is really only due to it's length and mutiple pauses for the hidden parts of the track. A really good album, but for some reason not quite 10. // 9

More Damien Rice reviews rating latest review