Dan Kelly's Dream Review

artist: Dan Kelly date: 11/09/2010 category: compact discs
Dan Kelly: Dan Kelly's Dream
Released: 2010
Genre: Rock
What I love about this album is that as a whole it's a really good listen.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Dan Kelly's Dream Reviewed by: lusion01, on november 09, 2010

Sound: After listening to Dan Kelly's work with the Alpha Males in 'Drowning in the Fountain of Youth', I wondered what Dan could come up with next. I think Dan Kelly may have made one of the best albums of 2010. I don't know what else to say about my impressions, but I'm impressed. Reading some interviews, Dan has said that the songs deal with different ways of the end of the world. He has mentioned that he wanted a more stripped back sound, but the opposite has occurred. Dan has also mentioned that he wanted to make an 'adventure' record, and I think he definitely has achieved this. The music itself is a good blend of pop, rock and soul (especially in "Thinkin' bout Alien City Blues", Dan hits the high notes here), as well as containing the 9 minute "Poisoned Estuary Jam", which I feel has a nice tropical sound to it. Since I'm posting this on 'Ultimate-Guitar', the 'solo' (kinda) in "The Catholic Leader" stood out to me. // 9

Lyrics: Dan Kelly tells great and funny stories, just go to his website to find out the background stories behind "The Decommissioner" and "West Coast Fishing Incident". The lyrics do fit in with the playful and fun music. His song titles attracted my attention, but I do have to mention "Bindi Irwin Apocalypse Jam", where Dan has stressed in interviews that he has tried to make this song less creepy as it sounds. He's succeeded in that. There's not much 'seriousness' (in terms of being personal) in the lyrics (perhaps "Grown Up Solutions"), but if you're looking for serious lyrical matter just YouTube 'Drunk on Election Night'. Dan's voice is fairly high, but his delivery is smooth and he does a good falsetto. Gets a nice Aussie accent into his singing. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't gotten much artists in 2010 to compare Dan Kelly with, but he's up there with my favourites for the year so far: The Black Keys' "Brothers", The National's "High Violet", Grinderman's "Grinderman 2" and LCD Soundsystem's "This Is Happening". The disappointing thing is that Dan doesn't even get half the credit of any of the artists I've compared him with. Most impressive songs from the album: "The Decommissioner", "Thinkin' bout Alien City Blues", "Bindi Irwin Apocalypse Jam" and "Poisoned Estuary Jam". What I love about this album is that as a whole it's a really good listen. A possible 'hate' from this is that I couldn't really recommend you one song that would stand out the most - but that's what albums are made for, to listen to every song and in the right order. One might argue that the songs sound too similar, but I think there's enough exploration ("Thinkin' bout Alien City Blues" and "Poisoned Estuary Jam" is a nice contrast).But no, there's nothing I really 'hate' about this album. If this CD was stolen/lost, I would buy it again. Well, I'd have to buy the CD first.. kidding! // 8

Comments