Dangerous Toys Review

dangerous toys: Dangerous Toys
Released: May 9, 1989
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Columbia
They're not the greatest musicians and their music isn't changing the world, but it's fun as hell to listen to. Whether you listen to them as a joke or you dig the cheesy sound, Dangerous Toys can be worth giving a try.
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Dangerous Toys Reviewed by: darienkirst, on june 02, 2011

Sound: The opening track, "Teas'n, Pleas'n" starts out with a riff that will really blow your mind; the amount of innovation Danny Aaron and Scott Dalhover put into their guitar parts combined with Mike Watson's skillful bass lines, and Mark Geary's hard-hitting drums creates a sound like no other. "Scared" continues the brilliance with those catchy sing-along chorus. How could one not fall victim to such musical beauty? And that solo? Surely in the key of Abm7b7b13 or you know, something fancy. And if you dig bass solos like I do, "Bones In The Gutter" is right up your alley. Just be warned, this song is scary! So much emotion comes from those powe - I mean, B#dim7b9 chords that you might just sh-t your pants (literally AND figuratively). But Dangerous Toys has a ballad side and "Feels Like A Hammer" showcases artful harmonies and melodies and anatomies and other words ending in "ies". From here on out, this album takes many twists and turns. Some are soft, others are hard, but all will rock your socks off. If you are blessed to be in possession of the 3x Platinum Collectors Edition of the album there is a bonus track where Jason McMaster sings a duet with Watain singer, Erik Danielsson. // 10

Lyrics: "Teas'n Pleas'n" is one of the most cleverly lyrical pieces of its time. It's about sleeping with a married woman whose husband comes home during the act, a situation we all can relate to. My personal favorite lyric of the song is, "Shanananananananabababa baby baby Nananananana Shobedamomina shobadamomina shobadamomina mamama nananananagigity yeah yeah yeah yeah!" While "Scared" and "Bones In The Gutter" are gems as well, "Take Me Drunk" has lyrics that can speak to everyone. When I first heard this song, I was chugging a bottle of Jack thinking, "Man, I sure do love doing things I'll regret in the morning" and Jason McMaster's bright operatic voice echoed in my ears and well... Sh-t, what ever happened that night? The rest of the lyrics? I could go on for eons, but I'll just let them speak for themselves. // 10

Overall Impression: Okay, you get it, I like being sarcastic. Let's get serious here, they're not the greatest musicians and their music isn't changing the world, but it's fun as hell to listen to. Whether you listen to them as a joke or you dig the cheesy sound, Dangerous Toys can be worth giving a try. // 5

Comments