Attera Totus Sanctum Review

9.7
 7.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Attera Totus Sanctum Reviewed by: mylanta2837, on june 12, 2012

Sound: The sound on this album comes through quite well. Unlike a lot of black metal, the drums sound fantastic. The guitar work is great, but it does get a little boring at times. Although there are many memorable guitar moments (such as in "Final Ritual" and the title track, "Attera Totus Sanctum"), most of the songs just aren't instantly memorable. All in all, everything sounded great. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics deal mainly with Satanic and anti religious themes, and fit perfectly with the sound. The lyrics for "666 Voices Inside" and "Godhate" were among the best on the album. Emperor Magus has one the most powerful voices I've ever heard. You can actually feel his anger through the music, and really makes it fun to listen to. He never gets too growly or screechy, and to me is the perfect black metal vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: After listening through the album once, you'll want to listen to it again, and again, and again... Dark Funeral was able to make an album with superb production quality while still preserving their pure black metal roots. At first some of the songs might not be all that memorable, but after awhile they will stick with you, each and every one of them. The best songs on the album would have to be "Attera Totus Sanctum" and "Final Ritual". "Attera Totus Sanctum" has an immense amount of anger, and "Final Ritual" has one of the coolest black metal riffs I've ever heard. If I were to lose this album, I would buy it again for sure. I would highly recommend it to anybody into black metal. // 10

More Dark Funeral reviews rating latest review