Devoid Review

8.7
 6.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Devoid Reviewed by: Nugeon, on august 17, 2010

Sound: Straight from Italy comes a very powerful and exhilarating melodic death metal band, that has a soft side to it. Dark Lunacy is a very underground band, and not many people know of them. On this album they introduce a very unique element to their music, which would be strings and choirs. This album struck me in a very different way, I love classical and I love metal, but to see a band mix it this well is amazing. The song "Cold Embrace" has a great sound and feels liek a story. "Dolls" was a great song that creates a very ominous feel and with the guitar work of Enomys it becomes heavy. Although this album has some amazing tracks it also has it's down moments. There are just moments in the album where a person wonders, this is kinda pointless and doesn't even work. Although there are few of these moments they do exist. This album has a unique and distinct sound overall. // 9

Lyrics: This album has to be judged on the lyrics of both Mike Lunacy and the Choir. Mike's voice is just raw and powerful. One of the best Metal vocalists I have ever heard. The only problem I have are his lyrics. To me the lyrics feel very cliche. He has amazing phrasing and the band fits perfectly right with him. He compliments the band and the band compliments him. The choir is beautiful in so many aspects. The female addition to the sound gives it the uniqueness. Although the choir does need to know when to come in. There are points where it's just not worth having it come in. The vocals in the album are great and give this band a very signature sound. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album was a definite catch. I was surprised by the atmosphere it created. The most impressive songs to me are "Cold Embrace", "Dolls", "Stalingrad", and "December" Those songs just have a flair that most bands can't deliver. I love the sound and how each song feels like story line to a movie. The thing I hate is that each songs feels like it drags on forever at a certain point. I'm a fan of long songs, don't get me wrong, but when the average song is 6 minutes you get tired. I would definitely buy this album if it were stolen. // 9

Comments