Character Review

dark tranquillity: Character
Release Date: Jan 25, 2005
Label: Century Media
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
2005's Character marks the third installment of what most agree has been the band's most consistent career-phase.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.9
review (1) 16 comments vote for this album:
Character Reviewed by: PiratexZombie, on january 25, 2007

Sound: Dark Tranquillity give us an intrest hybrid of industrial and metal. With heavy riffs, catchy key boarding, and deep lyrics, Dark Tranquillity is a band the deserves more recognition then they are getting. The music has a gothic feel to it mixing keys and guitar is an almost techno way but with out the annoying upbeat repation, and their singer is very good at growling even if that is all he does. I would like to hear a bit of singing on the record, cause some times you just need more the screaming and growling no matter how good. // 8

Lyrics: While most metal bands write about killing, war, and goverment, Dark Tranquillity deep meaningful lyrics about who you are, and the lack of thoughts and feelings today. With lines like "Look at the shell that is you," "Minds matters not" and "I am who I am, no character lost inside," you have to wonder who Dark Tranquillity hasn't entered the metal main stream yet. Then the singers angry deep growl just adds to the emotion of this CD, and it all fits so perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: Dark Tranquillity reminds me of a cross between Arch Enemy and the Matrix. If you like catchy riffs, angry vocals, and mabey a touch of electro then Dark Tranquillity is worth your time. "Am I 1?" is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. If it got stolen I'd let who ever took it keep it. Not cause I don't like but cause I want more people to know about the wonder that is Dark Tranquillity. // 9

More Dark Tranquillity reviews rating latest review