Fiction Review

dark tranquillity: Fiction
Release Date: Apr 24, 2007
Label: Century Media Records
Genres: Melodic Death Metal, Gothic Metal
The guitar and keyboard solos immediately grab your attention on the Swedish melodic death metal band's latest record.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
Fiction Reviewed by: aenimafist, on october 30, 2008

Sound: Dark Tranquillity have brought the best from their older sound into their latest release "Fiction." Drawing mostly from dark and depressing themes and sounds, the band bring their sound more into the shadows than ever with mysteriosity and malcontempt. Each band member plays an important role in this record; each guitar plays different rhyhtm and lead parts while Martin Brndstrm's keyboard sounds cast each and every song so much deeper into the darkness. Dark Tranquillity tend to play in slower or medium tempos which isn't typical for a melodic death metal band. I guess that's why it is really referred to as Gothenburg metal. // 10

Lyrics: Mikael Stanne is one of the most intriguing vocalists in the metal world today. He has a quasi-black metal tone to his death growl kind of like Anders Friden (former singer of the band). Songs like Lesser Faith are fine exampls of how well read Stanne is and how he is able to integrate lyrics into a song with ease. The words to most of the songs seem to fit in perfectly with what is going on in the song at the time. The best performances by Mikael are Lesser Faith, Focus Shift, and Nothing to No One. // 10

Overall Impression: While some may deem Gallery to be the best record by this band, Fiction should definately be somewhere near the tops of their lists. An extravagant metalic sonata is brought forth in the dirginess of Dark Tranquillity's eigth release. All of the members of this band show exceptional skill on their instruments without showing off. That is basically true about all melodic death metal bands and is what makes the genre so special. The best songs are The Lesser Faith, Nothing to No One, Focus Shift, Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive), and Inside the Particle Storm. That's half of the album right there. If that much of it makes it onto a best songs list then it must be good. // 9

Fiction Reviewed by: Asskicker1020, on september 22, 2009

Sound: This is a very impressive and underrated album and I am really starting to get sick of the fans saying everything after Projector sucks because its crappy and generic. Well, Haven was not great and I didn't like Damage Done because they sacrificed some melody, but Character and this album are great and very underrated. The album mixes the sounds from all the past albums to make 1 great hybrid album. And in my opinion this is probably equal to The Gallery. // 10

Lyrics: Mikael Stanne is an incredible lyricist. His lyrics are very well thought out and are very meaningful. The lyrics fit well with the music and have such great meaning I don't know how Stanne is able to write his lyrics without his head exploding into a million bits. He is probably the best lyricist I have ever came across. Stanne is also an amazing singer, he has a powerful growl and has great clean vocals as well. // 9

Overall Impression: My opinion on the songs: 01.Nothing to No One: a good starting song it has a nice keyborad interlude and some cool melodies in it al well. 8/10 02.The Lesser Faith: the lyrics in this song are awesome and Stanne has incredible lyrics in this song. 8/10 03.Terminus(Where Death is Most Alive): this is an awesome song and again Stanne does very good vocals in this song. 9/10 04.Blind at Heart: one of my favorites in the album the solo in this song is awesome. 10/10 05.Icipher: it has alot of keyborad parts and has a short but awesome solo. 9/10 06.Inside The Particle Sotrm: it has alot of clean parts and tempo change. 7/10 07.Empty Me: its got some cool drum patterns and a pretty fast tempo. 7/10 08.Misery's Crown: an awesome song,it alternates between clean vocals and growled vocals. 9/10 09.Focus Shift: and another awesome song with an awesome solo. 9/10 10.The Mundane and The Magic: one of the best songs in the album, that's all I can say. 10/10 // 10

More Dark Tranquillity reviews rating latest review