Deliver Us Review

darkest hour: Deliver Us
Release Date: Jul 9, 2007
Label: Victory
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash
For those who are curious, this is a way in, for the faithful, this is what you've been waiting for.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.4
 9.2
 9.5
Deliver Us Reviewed by: EmoRocker19510, on july 25, 2007

Sound: The band has drastically changed the technicality of their songs. Ryan Parrish's drums are better than ever with his use of the ride cymbals and long periods of double pedal. Kris Norris and the other guitarist(forget his name at the moment), unlike the other albums, play dual guitar solos in almost every song, ranging from slow, to sweep picking melodic solos. Devin Townshend has made a drastic improvement in the sound and production of Darkest Hour's newest attempt. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics have to deal with the turning around of society's thought process. A good example would be the song Demon(s). The chorus goes as follows," And one of these days we'll no longer betray, ourselves in any way, we'll all fall the same way down". The choruses have gotten so much better since their last attempt Undoing Ruin. The singers scream has gotten a lot better, more understandable, and he also sings clean on some songs as well! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is by far the best metal album of the year, besides King Diamond's Give Me Your Soul... Please. Those are two totally different genres though. I basically love everything about this album, I have nothing to complain about it, definately worth the 10 bucks I spent on it. The best songs in my opinion are Doomsayer (this is the beginning of the end), Demon(s), A Paradox With Flies, and An Ethereal Drain. // 10

Deliver Us Reviewed by: DH1, on january 19, 2008

Sound: The sound is brilliant. Everything stands out and sounds professional and polished (not too much though). The guitar tone is especially brilliant. They really pulled the stop[s out for this one. The rhythm section is also good. Although you're usually distracted by the lead guitars, you're aware of the rhythm section driving everything forward. Especially the double bass drum. While it's never ridiculously fast, it's usually laying down a solid, driving rhythm that works perfectly. While the music isn't anything particularly new or original, this is never a problem. Everything is done with such professionalism and the solos are so damn good that you don't care if it's been done before. // 9

Lyrics: I find the lyrics quite hard to fathom on some of the songs. but then I've never been very good with lyrics. Tracks like Stand and recieve your judgement and Full imperial collapse are fairly obvious, but then songs like An ethereal drain and Fire in the skies are fairly abstract. I love the brutal lyrics from Stand and recieve your judgement. And by the time that you realize the damage you've done/you'll be long f--king gone, you coward you puppet. total genious. On to the vocals. I know a lot of people have some issues with John Henry's voice, but I think it fits the music brilliantly. And then there's the clean vocals introduced on this album. A lot of people hate them. I'm not a huge fan, but I respect the guy for experimenting and trying to grow. One track that's drawn a lot of flame is sanctuary. I agree that the clean vocals there don't sound great, but if you listen to it then growls wouldn't really work in tahat section. Overall, I applaud John Henry for some great (if sometimes unfathomable) lyrics, and for giving a solid vocal performance. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is stunning. A huge improvement from their last release (which was damn good as well). The most impressive songs for me are: Doomsayer. I love the verse riff and the 'frantic' drums, and the solo is brilliant. Demon(s). A few people don't like this because of the clean vocals, I love it for the solo. Tunguska. A lovely acoustic section leading into a ridiculously epic solo. Fire In The Skies. One of the most melodic songs I've ever heard. Throughout it all the guitars are doing dual harmonies and the solo is simply beautiful. Deliver Us. Perfect end to the album. Arguably the best solo on the album leads into a quieter section which slowly builds back into a final chorus. As you can see, I love the solos. If it were stolen, I wouldn't buy it again since it's on my computer and I can just rip another copy. but anyway, one of the best albums I've ever heard. // 10

Deliver Us Reviewed by: barge1, on february 25, 2008

Sound: First off, Deliver Us is very different from most anything DH has done before. The lyrics have become more political, the guitars have become more technical, the drums are more pummeling, and the bass is louder and faster. The vocals have gotten better, and on some tracks John Henry actually sings. This is a large departure from the angry voice lashing out toward society that we usually hear. Mike Schleibaum makes a larger appearance on this album than the last 2 they have released. He writes more songs and even has a few solos on the album! Kris Norris takes his usual shred master supreme role on the album, writing the more technical, heavily swept solos, and writing the some technical riffs on most of the songs. You can also definitely hear the Devin Townsend influence in this album. It sounds like he really helped push them on this album. // 9

Lyrics: John Henry has definitely evolved over the past few albums. This is not as large of a leap as he took from Hidden Hands Of A Sadist Nation to Undoing Ruin, but it is a large step. He sounds much more guttural, overall heavier, and has more strength in his voice. You can especially tell in the track, "An Ethereal Drain". I find he has a deeper tone in this album than before. His lyrics have become much more meaningful as well. His singing is not bad at all, and I don't understand all the criticism he has gotten for singing on this album. A lot of people have said that he can't sing, which is untrue. He proves his vocal diversity on the So Sedated, So Secure re-issue where he does a cover of Pentagram's "Be Forewarned". I find that he does a great job, and think that die hard fans are just worried that he is trying to make the band "soft". I find that he is just trying to give the tracks more diversity. // 8

Overall Impression: I thoroughly enjoy this album. I find it can stands above most of what has been done in metalcore and is a step in good direction. I find this album to be really under-rated, and a real diamond in the rough. My favorite tracks on the album include "Doomsayer", "Stand And Receive Your Judgment", "Tunguska" and "Full Imperial Collapse". I love the use of the acoustic guitars in the album as well. They give the album great depth. I think all of the solos are incendiary, and I am very impressed by the songwriting on this album. I usually do not like singing used like this in metal, but I actually do not mind it in this album. I find Darkest Hour to be the more heavy and brutal rival of Atreyu, so I was surprised when DH decided to step more into the mainstream on this album. If someone stole this album from me, I would probably track the guy down and beat the crap out of him, but not for him stealing the album from me, but for not supporting this amazing metal band! // 10

More Darkest Hour reviews rating latest review