Permission To Land Review

darkness: Permission To Land
Released: Aug 5, 2003
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Power Metal
Label: Atlantic
"Permission To Land" is the debut studio album by British hard rock band The Darkness.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.2
 9.3
Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Sound: It's hard to compare anything the darkness plays or sings to anything that I've ever heard before. They really do have such a unique sound compared to anything else that's floating around out there now of days. They do somewhat resemble bands like Ac/Dc and Guns N' Roses in simply the sound, but they really are a "one and only" band. They do give a mix of both 70s and 80s music on their first album Permission To Land. I love all the guitar solos in almost every song by both Dan and Justin Hawkins (not Dawkins!, Hawkins!) Listening to their music, you have to just wait and see what awesome guitar solo is coming up next. I really like their overall sound. // 10

Lyrics: Justin Hawkins brings really intristing lyrics to The Darkness's killer sound. I like his range and overall presence as a singer, but the lyrics are somewhat strong. I really think that if they toned down the language that they would be even more popular than they are right now, but I'm obviously not making the decisions. But I think that as a singer, he is very talented and he's a good songwriter too. Overall it's good, but the language still. I don't know. I really don't like the lyrics to "Given Up", they're all about a heroin addiction. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall The Darkness are an execptionally good band. If I somehow lost this album, I'd buy it again, no dought. The songs "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and "Growing On Me" are obviously good, but I also like "Holding My Own" "Love is only a Feeling" and "Love On The Rocks With No Ice". Songs like "Get Your Hands Off My Women" and "Black Shuck" aren't as good. But like I said, the band is good and really unique, I like! // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Michael_Frazier, on august 13, 2004

Sound: I think it would be false to compare The Darkness to other groups such as AC/DC or Queen, or even to go so far as to label them as the embodiment of 70s' and 80s' rock. What they truely are is a statement of their own individuality. I'm impressed by that fact, and that fact alone. The common complaint of today's music consumer is that they don't sound like anybody else. I've read several reviews stating "they would sound much better if they sounded like Metallica or..." Being non-conformist, I feel their originality is something to be celebrated rather than critisized. But I suppose it all reverts back to the days of Zeppelin's reign. Although they were gods in their own profession, the periodical writers still wrote terrible reviews on albums and live performances. Yet they are still highly revered today as one of the greatest, if not the greatest rock group ever. I'm not saying the Darkness have a fixed destiny as chart toppers, but criticism doesn't seem to be slowing them down. They've got the chops, but pleasing the crowd is going to be the greatest battle in the long run. They may have home court advantage across the pond, but Americans demand the best in music entertainment, so I suggest they provide as many face melting venues as possible in the land of the free and the home of the Rawkers. // 10

Lyrics: I enjoy the lyrics. They are a fresh taste of wonderfully blended lines directed towards lovers, and tales of monstronsity and calamity to draw the listener. I recommend "Black Shuck" for the simple reason that it has a great rock beat and riff, and Justin Dawkin's vocals seem to draw the listeners attention thoroughly through every detail of the song's plot. Dawkins' definitely cultivates a unique approach to vocals through use of high pitched falsetto wailing, that he surprisingly, has tremendous control over; I'm still wondering how he has such accurate vibrato. Oh, and to end any misconceptions about the lyrics of "Growing On Me," Justin isn't singing about a heroin addiction, (which has got to be one of the most uneducated guesses ever), but he is singing about a STD that's sexually transmitted disease to those of you who still don't get it. // 10

Overall Impression: Simply put, The Darkness' "Permission To Land" album is a breath of fresh air apart from the common sounds of todays music scene. Diversity is golden and those who think otherwise can forever be banished to listened to their aging collection of archaic rock albums. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: bexinthematrix, on october 28, 2003

Sound: This album is a ressurection of classic rock, solos and spandex included. The Darkness may not have anything totally original but the sound they have could not be carried off better. There is not much diversity in the sound, the songs all have the same theme but its doesn't wear out all the way through the album. The one song I definetly don't like is the slow ballad 'Love is only a Feeling'; this song, to me, doesn't have the same energy the Darkness emits and that added spark they give to everything else. // 8

Lyrics: I think that the lyrics are mainly what makes these songs and gives them the uber cool cheesiness that everyone loves. My personal favourites are 'Friday Night' ('I used to sit next to you at school/ we indulged in all the extra-curricular activities/ we weren't particularly cool'), 'Stuck in a Rut' (which includes what I'm sure is a Yoda impression) and 'Givin' Up'. Justin carries off his falsettos perfectly and all the songs, whatever their subject are happy and put a smile on anyones face. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is a very welcome break from the depressed 'I feel sorry for myself' mood of nu-metal that has plagued us all recently. The guitar on this record is perfect and the need-to-play-air-guitar solos teamed with the wit of the lyrics sells it for me. Although I don't like some of the slower tracks I'm still going to give the album full marks because all the other songs make up for it. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on may 12, 2004

Sound: The first time I heard "I Believe in a thing called Love" on radio, I liked it until he started singing. Later, I checked out all songs from this album, and they sucked! Sure, I'm a fan of 70s-80s rock, but this is a friggin' joke! The riffs are not very original, sounds stolen. Yeah, there are solos... but there is no point in ruining the songs with those crummy opera vocals. If he used cool Dio or Iron Maiden-type vocals, they would have been my new favorite band, but NO! They blew it! The singer sounds really gay! I give this a 3 just because of the solos, but it still won't make me like them! The band lacks the proper attitude in suck hard rock they claim to play... // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics? Gayest piece of **** I've ever heard or read online. "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" contains probably the worst possible, besides all Rap tracks. The video concept is queer too. The singer is like raping a big bear-like creature, and holding some sort of sausage. Some say its is a "Futuristic mic", but it's a sausage to me! The singer is the stongest reason why I hate the Darkness. Incorporates opera vocals in songs when a good singer could have sounded like James Hetfield or Dio or even Bon Scott/Brian Johnson, perhaps. Even nu-metal singer David Draiman (Disturbed) is way better than Hawkins (Darkness' singer). // 2

Overall Impression: Pure Stupidity! No band could be any worse than the Darkness except perhaps whiny punk groups or 100% of all rappers in the world. No song is as impressive as the REAL rock music I listen to. I hate this album... well, the Artist The Darkness, because that is their only album, because it has sucky lyrics that incite queerness and stupidity, bad vocals because it is almost Pure Opera, Crummy music videos because the features are of what I said on the Lyrics area of the review, and to add to that, the album cover sucks. Who in their right mind would be naked on an airplane landing track, and what is that supposed to be on top? Is that supposed to be a friggin' UFO or something? Looks more like a vacuum cleaner. Riffs aren't as original as most artists, none are catchy. I give this a 2 instead of a 1, just because it had solos, to say the least. If you're looking for real rock, stick to the 70s and 80s masters like Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard or someone like them. Or newer artists of the style who wouldn't use a style like the **** Darkness. Darkness is a failure. Simple as that. // 4

Permission To Land Reviewed by: METSOAD, on april 24, 2006

Sound: This is a stunning debut album from the band from the most easterly point in all of England. The Guitars are crushing and enormous and give the impression that this band have been going for many years. Justin and Dan Hawkins maybe stupid morons but they are talented musicians. Also the Drumming is powerhouse and very loud. // 10

Lyrics: Justin Hawkins sings like he has just been elbowed in the private bits. One of the Highest voices I have ever heard. But the lyrics are generally not that good. "Black Shuck," "Love Is Only A Feeling" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are all good lyrically but I have to say "Friday Night" is a little bit laclusture compared to most of the album. The lyrical peak is "Love On The Rocks With No Ice". // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a classic debut, the best debut album since "Appitite For Destruction" by Guns N' Roses. The Best Tracks are "Black Shuck" (despite the fact it is a rip off of the mighty AC/DC), "Get Your Hands Off My Woman," "Love On The Rocks With No Ice," "Stuck In A Rut" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love." These tracks are what British rock stands for, huge riffs, insane solos and choruses the size of Jupiter. But there are let downs. "Friday Night" is a frankly terrible song that does not deserve to be on an album of this quality. // 9

Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2003

Sound: Wow is this great production. It sounds like we time-warped back into the early 80s but with crisper production. Using a Page-like 'wall of guitars,' the Darkness come crashing through the speakers with badass intensity. These British rockers know what to do and how to do it well. Each song on the album has their distinct sound on it. In true 80s style, everything is exaggerated and it sounds great. The ballad 'Love is Only a Feeling' is done brilliantly, mixing acoustic and electric guitar sounds in a distinctly Zeppelin feeling. // 10

Lyrics: The reason that The Darkness isn't just some campy retro band is the lyrics. Every song practically oozes with British wit and, something quite refreshing, the word 'fuck.' Some lines are ridiculous, such as this line from 'Growin' on Me.' "I'm being punished for all my offenses, I wanna touch you but I'm afraid of the consequences, I wanna banish you from whence you came." The Darkness pull it off, relishing in their campiness. The singer is phenomenal, having one of the best falsettos I have heard in a long time (maybe ever.) He's the lost link between Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant. My favorite line of the whole album is the chorus to track 2, which goes 'Get your hands off of my woman, motherfucker!' Every song should be rocked out to by a car full of people. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that this is the best album of the year, hands down. It has jams ('I believe in a thing called love', 'givin' it up'), ballads, and more jams. I have struggled to find something wrong with this album, and thus far I can't find anything. This band is the best thing to come out of England since pink lemonade. I can't wait to see the Darkness live. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: monoshoe, on december 16, 2003

Sound: This album generally rocks. Every song comes complete with a rocktastic solo and ultimate riffs. The overall sound is great and a joy to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical topics are genius. 'Black Shuck' is about a legendary black dog who roams the east Anglian countryside. 'Growing on me' has great lyrics and it has been sugested to me it is about genital warts (thing about it). All the other songs have wonderful lyrics and are, as i have already said, a joy to listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has certainly been the highly of the year and having just sold one million records it seems many others agree. The most enjoyable thing about the album is its atmosphere; creating a happy but mainly rocking mood. If I were to loose this album I would buy it again and buy a spare just incase I lost it again. If you dont already own this album then it is your national duty to buy it (regardless of your nationality). The Darkness Rock. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: charger356, on february 02, 2004

Sound: The sound is friggin awesome. I love that "classic" rock sound. It mixes up some of that old-school rock with some modern licks and kicks. If you were not into this kind of music before you buy it, then you will be after listening to awesome songs like "Stuck in a Rut" and "Giving Up". // 10

Lyrics: Well, to be honest with you, I was not pleased at all when I saw the video and heard the lyrics for the first time. Being the Metallica fan that I am, I was used to a deeper vocalist. After listening to the song a couple of times, I had gotten used to it and now I don't know how I ever disliked it. The bottom line is that the lyrics are friggin' awesome! // 10

Overall Impression: I Love This Cd! I can play it over and over and never get tired of it. I love the flaming solos that they entangle with heavy riffs. My favorite songs on this album have to be... Every Last One Of Them! I have no negative things to say about this album. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. I have to say that I Strictly listen to rock, and I am pleased to say that "Permission to Land" is among my collection, and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2004

Sound: The sound on this CD is awesome. It sound like it could be something from the late 70's or early 80's, but it also adds some new sounds to the mix. The solos are absolutely amazing. Dan Hawkins is a very talented young man. He can rock like no body's business I'll tell ya what. And Justin's voice is extraordinary. I've never heard a guy sing in falsetto that well. It's refreshing to hear falsetto rather than screaming into the microphone. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so great. From the line in "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" (I wanna kiss you every minute every hour everyday) to the chorus of "Get Your Hands Off My Woman" (Get your hands off of my woman motherfucker) and even the tear-jerking lyrics to Holding My Own (Baby, everything has fallen into place/my life is so exciting now I've got my space/Like a splash of water on my face). Well, I cried when I heard the song. The lyrics are somewhat insightful, but not too serious. Another refreshing element of this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is all around refreshing. This is the type of band that can say something serious but do it in a not so serious kind of tone. The sound brings back the musical part of rock n roll. These people have some actual talent. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably cry and then go out right away or as soon as I could to get another one. I don't hate a single thing about his album. All of the songs are impressive, because no two sound the same, which is yet another refreshing element of the album. This album is definitely worth buying. If I had a band, I'd do a cover from this album on every one of my albums. I love this CD. Everyone should go out and buy a copy. Have you noticed a lot of good stuff comes from England? You can add The Darkness to that list. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Longlivpunkrock, on march 04, 2004

Sound: The 80's glam rock sound is entertaining and even though you think it would get old very quickly it is always entertaining and the high pitched voice of the lead singer NEVER gets old. The guitar solos are amazing and bring to mind the solos of yorn. Ahhh. Sometimes if your in the mood for a more serious song its hard to take the high pitched voice very seriously. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs are okay. They definitly could be more thoughtful such as the lyrics of SOME hole songs (NOT "I think that I would die." A song about milk. What the hell was CL on?)The lines are delivered well by the singer and the voice matches the lyrics. They are sometimes depressing because it reminds me of someone I know. // 8

Overall Impression: This CD is quite good and competes with any CD anyday. If you like Queen they describe themselves as "The straight Queen" so you would most definitly like the darkness. I love the voice of the main singer and the crazy guitar solos. ALthough sometimes the voice can get old/annoying. Listin to "I believe in a thing called love" and "Get your hands off of my woman" It is definitly worth buying because everybody likes a unisex voice! This is written for someone and she recommended this album to me. As she says "It's one of those ones you have to listin too a few times over." I agree and I hope she enjoys this article. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2004

Sound: The sound is ok, but only ok. There is nothing really very innovative here. Its good rock guitar but we have heard it all before, and the bass is very inconspicuous with no stunning bass lines. It's very reminiscent of bands such as Pacifier (aka Shihad). There are a couple of good guitar solos but the rhythm is not so good. Really nothing special here, but then again they have done enough to support Justin Hawkins vocals. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are what make the Darkness. Justin Hawkins over the top high pitched voice is their trademark. It is the only bit of their music that differs from all the other bands out there. There are some good lines like "Get your hands off my woman, mother f***er" but over all the lyrics are nothing special, but they are presented in such a style that it doesn't really matter what he is saying, because really who cares if it sounds good. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall the album is pretty good. It's good to see more bands out there that are popular and are making it big that arent just your pop/punk rock. The songs "Get You Hands Off My Woman" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" are the standouts on this album. Its good rock n roll and that really appeals to me, but in some parts the album really gets a bit to much pop/rock style which doesnt really appeal. If I happened to lose this album then I probably wouldn't go and buy it again but I would get it copied off a friend. Worth my money but I wouldn't go as far as labelling this a classic album. // 8

Permission To Land Reviewed by: skateamerica35, on april 01, 2004

Sound: The sound quality was ok but it could have been better I guess. I like all the stuff on it and I think you can hear most of the guitar and bass and drum stuff ok. Some of the stuff was a little fuzzy though. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. How many songs do you hear someone say "get your hands off my woman mother f*cker". They wrote some pretty kick ass lyrics in my opinion. // 8

Overall Impression: All the songs are good rock songs although some are a little heavy for my tastes. The songs are catchy too. The most impressive song on the album for me is love is only a feeling because it is so deep with the music and everything. I love this album and highly recommond it to people so go buy it. // 8

Permission To Land Reviewed by: reed, on april 06, 2004

Sound: It's basically good old rock. Some songs, such as Love On The Rocks With No Ice have chord progressions that are more modern, but all in all its good old rock. None of the songs are particularily fast, but most are at a moderate tempo. There are a couple slow ones, but they're just as good as the others. It's been well produced, so it has a good sound to it. The truly great thing about it is that almost every song has at least one solo! It's kind of refreshing from some other artists these days... // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, IMO, are the weakpoint on this album. Most of them are silly, with little meaning to them. For instance, Black Shuck is about a dog from some old legend. As well, Growing On Me at first seems to be a simple love song, but the more I hear that song, the more I'm convinced it's about genital warts. It's kinda disgusting. However, Justin Hawkins has a great vocal range. Some people hate his falsetto and seem to thing it means he has small testicles, but I like it. It adds a lot more depth to the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This was a great album. The songs are all catchy, and there's not one song that I don't like. I wish more bands were like this these days! I can't think of one thing I hate about it except for the lyrics now and then, but I don't quite hate them. If it was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again because my friend has it and I can burn it off of him, but otherwise I most certainly would! Unless you are completely and unfairly biased against the Darkness, you won't regret purchasing it. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2004

Sound: This band features the awesome, high - pitched vocals by Justin Hawkins and a blend of seventies and eighties music. Great sound and yet the topicsof some of the songs weren't great. ex: Growing on Me is all about using heroine. You just don't sing about that in a song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in these songs are very catchy and fresh, such as..." Can't explain all the feelings that you're makin me feel, my hearts in overdrive and you're behind the steering wheel." The group are great lyricist, a little too much language for my liking though. // 8

Overall Impression: This reminded me of the singing of Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin except about another octave or two higher pitched. The great songs on this album in my opinion were, I Believe in a Thing Called Love, Black Shuck, Growing on Me, and Love on the Rocks With No Ice. I love the guitar solos in this. Very creative. What I Hate about it is the vulgar language, but some people like that i guess. If someone were to steal this album, I would definitely buy it again. It's a great break from all the pop and hip hop that has been blinding the music industry. If you like 70's Rock and Roll, buy this album. // 8

Permission To Land Reviewed by: slash_andrew, on august 09, 2004

Sound: Great album, one of the greatest rock groups I've ever heard, it has the classical rock style from the 70's, and also great shredding solos, which is the most I like of it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, they all are one thing, love, and its great, except for the first 2 songs the others rock,the compilance of the lyrics with the music its great in all songs except for the first 2. Justins skills has a great voice, great guitar (exactly like the one I have) but he can take his voice to levels no one can. He's a great singer. // 10

Overall Impression: It doesn't compare to other albums, or artists, it's unique. I love the solos from Dan, he's a great guitarist, since bands like Metallica, GnR, I haven't heard such good solos. I hate that they're only 10 songs. If it were stolen/lost I would buy 3 more, 1 for listen to it, 1 in case the first one gets lost and 1 to keep it intact for future times. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: joshsirjoshules, on august 12, 2004

Sound: This straight out of the 70s and 80s with a giant kick in the ass to almost all of the other bands today, mostly emo-"punk" bands and rap groups (Outkast, Beastie Boys and Jurassic 5 are an exception.) When I hear Dan's or Justin's guitar, it is a religious experience. Go watch their exclusive performance of "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" on Launch (that's the music page on Yahoo! for those of you who don't know) for more proof on this. Frankie, the bass player puts a big bottom on the music, and doesn't just play whatever the guitar is playing, he comes up with his own stuff just as long as its in the same key. I just like that about bass players who are like that. Ed Graham is one of the best drummers in this day and age. Go and listen to any of the songs on the new album, and you will see how good of a drummer he is. This is very influenced by AC/DC and Queen, sorry those are the only two bands that I could think of. // 10

Lyrics: "I've got no right to lay claim to her frame, its not my posession!" That should sum it up for you but I will right more. Justin is one of the best singers (if not the best) that we have right now. People don't like that he uses oprah singing techniques or that he hits high notes, but that's what I love about him. He's awesome! The lyrics have an amazing compliance with the music, and they are amazing. I also like how he says "God you're touching me!" He says me like he's saying "moo" and I really like that. He's an amazing singer. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definitely one of the best albums this year, right up with Jet "Get Born" and The Hives "Tyrannosaurus Hives." All of the songs are good songs, there are no filler songs that are just there for no reason and have no significance whatsoever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all, and if it were stolen, I'd buy it for real, because I just burned it from my friend, but yes, it is worth buying, it is just that I didn't have the money and was lazy. This is a great album The Darkness rock! I would like to say this about all of the people who hate The Darkness: you suck, every single last one of you. You guys are being stupid, calling The Darkness gay and they suck, and then turn around to listen to Good Charlotte and all of those emo-"punk" bands. This is history repeating itself: the good bands being criticized and ignored, but the crap bands being noticed and loved by all. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: bimsterfls, on december 06, 2004

Sound: I really love this album. The sound is like Thin Lizzy but heavier riffs, of course the vocals and melodies aren't a thing like Thin Lizzy they're real cool and origional. Don't let the high voice of Justin Hawkins fool you he and brother Dan create excellent guitar riffs and solos that are pretty heavy in songs like "Love On The Rocks With No Ice" and "Black Shuck", but then there are less heavy but just as great songs like "Love Is Only A feeling" and "Friday Night". The Darkness bring back the high voices and sweet solos that rock hasn't had in a long time. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are cool and kind of funny. They range from Heroin abuse to The double entendre of "Growing On Me" which you would think is about wanting to get rid of a girlfriend but actually is about Genital warts. Justin Can write lyrics and sing really good I enjoy The Darkness' lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is it's one of the best pure rock albums of all time and it's incredible. The guitar is awsome and Justin and Dan really are very good and came up with my favorite solos of all time. If you like classic rock like Led Zeppelin and those types of bands than you'll really enjoy The Darkness' album "Permission To Land" I don't have any favorite songs because you can listen to the whole thing through 2 times and still enjoy it. If anything ever happens to this album I would get another copy. The only thing that I don't love about this masterpiece is that the titles of the songs take Too long to write! // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: i'm seein' red, on may 16, 2005

Sound: The Darkness is a new band trying to bring the rock back. They have great vocals, two awesome guitarist, a great drummer, and a bassist that can move his fingers. Justin and Dan share solos, but thats ok there is always at least three solos in each song. // 10

Lyrics: There lyrics range from a lot things they wrote. One about a dog attacking a priest, others about drugs. But I'd say most of the songs were love songs. Loud love songs. The singer is a great singer but to say the truth it kinda gets annoying when he uses a really high voice. It's good, but he uses it quite often // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album. I wouldn't compare it to Led Zeppelin 2, but I can say if you love rock and roll, it's worth buying. My favorite songs on this Get Your Hands Off My Woman, Black Shuck and I Believe In A Thing Called Love. I love Get Your Hands Off My Woman because it's a great tune with an awesome solo. Black Shuck has a great intro and just a good feel. I Believe In A Thing Called Love is awesome because of the songs 3 solos. They are so awesome. It also has a great outro, and some good lyrics. If it was stolen I would go and buy it again. // 8

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on may 16, 2005

Sound: What can I say about these guys except for "WOW"? The sound comes through as that classic brit metal we all love and emulate. The guitars are like a bone-crushing wave of metal, coming on over us like a symphony of great guitarists past. The riffs are not only perfect in creative genius, but they are so damn catchy. It's almost like being back in the seventies, with the grand solos and flashy styles. These guys are truly amazing. I can't stop playing their album. Their sound is perfect, let's hope they never change it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just so different from most of the metal you hear today. They aren't as dark as most of the stuff you hear, but it's not exactly alternative or mainstream rock. I love the way Justin just puts these humorous and catchy little phrases into verse form. The song "Black Shuck" especially caught my ear, since it is based on the English folk-tale of a Black Dog attacking the Blygthmore Church in the English countryside. And who could forget their breakthrough American hit "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"? All the songs are great, and Justin is just the man to sing them. All though most may be put off by his falsetto, it is amazing to hear somebody sing like that since the likes of Freddie Mercury. I love this guy. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is the best thing to come out of Britain since Ozzy Osbourne. These guys know how to make metal fun again. They are light and jolly fellows who make catchy songs into classics. I don't care what anyone else says about them, they are the new legends of metal in my mind. Just watch. // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Sound: Wow is all I can say. It's simply breathtaking. Pryotechnic guitar solos are back. The riffs are absoutley amazing and Justin Hawkins uses about every technique in the book to a hugely high standing, especially blistering slurring and tapping sequences. This is also a melodic masterclass, and I can assure you, you will not be dissapointed. // 10

Lyrics: Even some of the lyrics are not the best, some of the lyrics are really well thought out and crafted, especially in growing on me where the song is about genital warts and he fooled everyone into thinking it was a baout a demise of a relationship. In saying that, some of the lyrics tend to be a bit cheesy, most noticeably in friday night, but overall some very good lyrics. Vocal wise, he his in a different league. Most people I know share the opinion that Justin Hawkins ahs a very annoying voice, but I for 1 think he has a superb voice and a vocal range to die for. His voice is also unique making it sublime. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a masterpiece. The songwriting skills are really displayed because even though the classical rock influence is evident, they have managed to keep the influence but make every song unique. Every single song on the album is amazing, there is not even one average track. If it was stolen or lost, I would have to buy this album again because its sublime. A must get! // 10

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Panny180, on june 09, 2005

Sound: I bought the album on the strength of songs such as "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and "Get You're Hands Off Of My Woman" and although I liked the songs, they didn't blow me away. Because of this, I wasn't expecting this album to be golden, I just expected it to be enjoyable. Ten tracks later and I came out loving the Darkness for tons of reasons. Nearly every track rocked and kept me entertained and the slower track (Love Is Only A Feeling) was brilliant, despite the shitty video for the single. Musically, the track that I'm most impressed with is "Love On The Rocks" which manages to combine a thumping melody with Hawkin's high pitched shriek. The solo are amazing (if a little over used. Not even Led Zep or GN'R have a solo in every song) but eventually become repetitive. Overall, I have no problems with the sound except for Poulain's weakish bass which isn't actively bad but also not actively good. // 8

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics are decent, but it is blindingly obvious that Justin ain't a poet. Most of the songs are about love (A Believe, Love On The Rocks, Love Is Only A Feeling, I would have said Growing On Me as well but apparently that's about genatalia warts egh). The lyrics go well with the music. The right combinations make you want to sing along and make a fool out of you're self. How high can you get your voice? It's definitely Justin's voice that pushes this up to a 5. Plenty of people say his voice is annoying but only because they listen to music which comprises of a hairy man at the end of a mic growling about fuck all. // 10

Overall Impression: I started listening to this album promising not to compare this to Led Zep or any other great albums, and as long as you do this, you will enjoy every minute of this album (except that awful last track). This may not be the deepest album, in fact, this album isn't very deep at all, but what I like about it is that it was recorded on a shoestring budget and manages to sound better than most pro recordings. I want to give this album five, but I just can't do it. Most of the guys on this site are very harsh on them but my overall impression is that they are a lot of fun and I will definitely be looking forward to their second album. // 8

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 19, 2006

Sound: This album is a very solid album from a very good band. While nowadays the idea of playing a solo is not put to use very much in modern music. The Darkness doesn't care what people say and how disliked they are by the average listener, they're gonna play their style of music. Kudos to them for this. I feel that most new musicians don't put forth as much effort in showcasing their many talents and just play power chord riffs non stop. The Darkness defies this and solo like madmen like it's 1973 and music fans had good taste then. The Darkness is doing something I like, trying to make the classic rock sound mainstream again. I love and 100 percent support the idea of that. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are straight out of the '80s. They're all about women and good ole rock n roll. I have never been a fan of this type of lyrical approach. They can have as many mediocre lyrics as they want, the music simply makes up for it. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall imoression of this album is to listen to the classics and play skillfully. I love the idea behind this band. I want to abolish the new metal sound (I'm quite unpopular on this site to fans of As I Lay Dying and Underoath) and revive good old classic rock. It won't happen but hey, it's worth a shot. If this album were stolen I'd buy a new one in heartbeat. // 9

Permission To Land Reviewed by: Ben Hobson, on july 04, 2012

Sound: The album is produced nearly to perfection and each song carries itself beautifully. The only problems for me are the at times quiet bass and the tone of the guitars of "I Believe In A Thing Called Love". If I'm honest though I'm just nit-picking and you forget these when actually listening to the record. You can clearly hear the classic rock influences of the band (AC/DC is easy to identify, as well as Queen, with harmonised vocals on a few songs). It's a very happy sounding album; you can tell the band members are enjoying themselves. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, for the most part, are brilliant. I'm not a big fan, however, of the excessive use of swear words, especially "f***". It is often unnecessary, but again, I'm sure I'm just nit-picking. Justin Hawkins' singing skills are just sublime, he has a full vocal range which reminds me occasionally of Kind Diamond of Mercyful Fate, in the fact that he can go from a lower tone to an extremely high note very quickly. // 8

Overall Impression: It really is hard to compare to others - I would attempt Airbourne (another great band for you to check out) but the vocals are completely different. "Black Shuck" is probably my favourite on the album, inspired by the legend of Black Shuck in the south-east of England (where the band originate). The idea of using a legend as a song theme reminds me of Iron Maiden, who often did the same. The first half of the album is superior to the second half, but the album as a whole is brilliant. Buy it now. And yes, if it was stolen or lost, I WOULD re-buy it. It is a hard rock album, not heavy metal, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. What are you still sitting there for? Stop reading this and go out and buy it! // 9

More Darkness reviews rating latest review
+ Hot Cakes 7.3 08/24/2012