Transilvanian Hunger Review

9.1
 9.5
 8.6
Transilvanian Hunger Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 18, 2009

Sound: This album has a very monotonous, dark, cold sound that exemplifies the mentality of the early 90's Norwegian black metal scene. Most songs are only made up of only about 3-5 riffs, and the drums pretty much play the same pattern for every song. This isn't a bad thing however, as it gives the album a unique, hypnotic feel to it that is reminiscent of early Burzum albums. The band takes a slightly more melodic approach to the songs on this album when compared to their previous black metal releases, "A Blaze In The Northern Sky" and "Under A Funeral Moon." Of course, the mandatory low-fi production is present here. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album make a noticeable departure from the consistently Satanic lyrics on "Abitns" and "UAFM." The majority of the lyrics tend to be nature/fantasy based, which makes sense because Varg Vikernes (Burzum) wrote the lyrics for the last four songs on the album. The title track (Transilvanian Hunger), as if it really needs explanation, is about vampires. The lyrics mesh just fine with the melodies on this album: cold, raw, and dark. Nocturno Culto's vocal performance on this album is my favorite from Darkthrone's early 90's period, second to his vocals on "Abitns." The reason that album is better is because he had that great reverb sound for his vocals. // 8

Overall Impression: Darkthrone, along with the other black metal bands emerging from Norway in the early 90's, like Mayhem, Burzum, and Immortal, had their own unique sound. Some of my top song picks on this album are "Transilvanian Hunger," "Over Fjell Og Gjennom Torner," "I En Hal Med Flesk Og Mjod," and "Inn As I Dype Skogen." There is a great punk/Motorhead-ish riff on "I En Hal Med Flesk Og Mojod." The riff near the end of "Inn As I Dype Skogen" (you'll know it when you hear it) is definitely the best on the album in this reviewer's humble opinion. // 10

Transilvanian Hunger Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2009

Sound: First track Transilvanian Hunger starts of with a low-fi recorded riff that just is so powerful, about 30 seconds in the song Nocturno starts to scream. I have never in my life heard anything like this...its so raw! but still so good. Some people claims that "Transilvanian Hunger" is some of the worst Darkthrone albums because the low production but I disagree. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for track 1-4 are written by drummer Fenriz and he is truly someone who can put pseudonyms, rhymes and meaning in a good song. For example: "So Pure... So Cold Transilvanian Hunger Hail to the True, intense vampires A story made for Divine fulfillment To be the ones breathing a Wind of Sorrow Sorrow and fright the dearest catharsis Beautiful Evil Self to be the Morbid Count A part of a Pact that is delightfully immortal" rest of the song 5-8 is written by "Varg Vikernes" or known as "Burzum" who can write great lyrics to..but Fenriz are unbeatable here! Nocturno's singing style is good actually, but maybe not on these recordings..but like I said, that's the way I like it. // 9

Overall Impression: Transilvanian Hunger was a major influence on the norwegian black metal scene, along with Mayhems "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and Burzums "Aske" The best songs on the album is definetly: Transilvanian Hunger, En s I dype skogen and Over fjell og gjennom torner. I love the prodction, the fast riffs and the awesome album cover, all in all..its just an amazing album. If it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again! // 10

More Darkthrone reviews rating latest review
+ The Underground Resistance 8.4 02/26/2013